Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Battle Tactics (MORE MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Author Topic: Battle Tactics (MORE MASSIVE SPOILERS)
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So let me get this straight, in the beginning of the war, the Federation and Klingons were getting Mashed. Feds take back DS9, and Dominion takes Betazed, (along with other Fed and Klingon planets I presume). Feds manage to take Chin'toka, but that's as far as they go. Dominion joins up with Breen, kicks Fed alliance out of Chin'toka, while massacreing the Fleet.

So the Feds capture a ship with the Breen Weapon. And what happens? The Dominion/Breen alliance runs all the way back to Cardassian Territory. Big fight, Cardassians join Fed Alliance, and Dominion/Breen run again, this time, all the way back to Cardassia Prime.

Surely, the tide of war can't tilt that fast in the Federation's favour. There HAS to be an incident in which the Fed alliance have scored crucial victories in order to do so. Comments?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, Tahna Los, you are correct. I can't think of any war where one crew of sub-flag rank has done so much to advance the interests of so big an army (or navy). I think it's just a side-effect of the show being focused on one very small part of the war and not being able to show other crews doing something significant, combined with the pesky temptation of writers to make every show "critical, risk-or-ruin" to the war.

I would also say that a lot of the critical work is being done by divisions not as "sexy" as the Defiant or DS9 (cryptography, analysis, logistics, R&D, etc.) when, combined with regular, run-of-the-mill frontline ships, tend to show an aggregate gain for the Federation.

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER

In "Dogs of War", the map at Cardassian Union-Dominion-Breen Headquarters shows that the combined alliance of the UFP-KE-RSE has gained important ground in the war against the Dominion. They are spread over Dominion held territory. (I do not find the headquarters to be realistic. The room seems quiet for a headquarters in the middle of war. I would expect to see more hustle and bustle. I count this up to budget limitations.)

IP: Logged
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many people would you let near your gods?

------------------
Vreenak: "The man who started the war with the Dominion... Somehow I thought you'd be taller." (DS9: "In the Pale Moonlight")

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The puzzle is quite easy to solve. Remember, we haven't been seeing what the E-E has been up to in the war. Something helpful per chance?

------------------
"In the name of the LORD! We DEMAND entrance to this Sacred CASTLE!!!!"
"No chance, Engleesh bed-wetting types. I brush my temples at you and call your door-opening request a silly thing. You tiny-brained wipers of other-people's bottoms."

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, all the credit for the victory goes to the crew of starship Enterprise, while the crew at DS9 does all the dirty work. Somehow I find this quite realistic!

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, watch Paramount in the next 5 years release a set of novels about the Enterprise during the Dominion War.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They already have. Seen them at Barnes & Noble.

Hobbes

------------------

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely they've been busy. There's the archaeological dig on Rutabaga III, the cultural festival on Sizer Prime, trade negotitations with the Brzoznoski. . . plus further complications with Troi's mother and so forth. 8)

------------------
"I also received an interesting, if some-what perplexing, note from a 13-year-old lad who asked if I "had a clue." I fear I cannot adequately answer, as I am not aware of any immediate clues at hand; but that is not to say there are none present." - T. Herman Zweibel

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that festival on Sizer Prime rocks.

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does Sol, went there last year. Better than Marti Grai in New Orleans.

Hobbes

------------------
"You're a groovy baby...baby" - Austin Powers

[This message was edited by Hobbes on June 08, 1999.]

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
And while they were there, they nailed a few Borg cubes single-handedly, just for the hell of it.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps