Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Starships & Technology.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Pull vs. Push warp field dynamics

Author Topic: Pull vs. Push warp field dynamics
koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay a simple question why not pulling warp nacelles, almost every schematic I’ve looked at lately has pushing nacelles explanation? You ask, well here is an example of push:  -

And this is as close as I could find to nacelles that pull.
For some reason it seems that a nacelle that pulls may be more efficient then a pushing nacelle...there has got to be a better word than push and pull. Please voice you concerns, ideas and theories...and don’t worry Defiant this isn't a bash thread. (Although I really don't have any control over it.)

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no "push" or "pull" when it comes to continuum distortion propulsion. With nothing to act a force upon, there's no such analogy. Nacelle placement affects field flow energy, yes...but that's it. Using your theory, Cardassian Galor-class ships--& most other vessels in the galaxy--would go nowhere since they have midmounted "embedded" engines.

It's not a propeller or a jet.

quote:
...and don’t worry Defiant this isn't a bash thread. (Although I really don't have any control over it.)
Then why mention it, hmm?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please clarify.
No matter what kind of propulsion you are talking about it requires speed which implies force and a set equation
V/c = WF(10/3)

Or

V/c = WF[{(10/3)+a*(-Ln(10-WF))^n}+f1*((WF-9)^5)+f2*((WF-9)^11)], which in essence means travelling at or more than light speed. So then which also implies a push pull factor, now I have already indicated this thread to be about warp fields so x being the field of fore and y being field of aft your would have this:

y | x

| = Warp core, also remember the hull is an important part of warp theory.
now include nacelle placement. rear placement

Y-| x

-= nacelles

Front placement

Y |-x

[ June 03, 2002, 09:02: Message edited by: koy'peled Oy'tio ]

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
^^^That makes no sense to me^^^

Koy, until the Snay posts, I like the thread. [Wink]

Anyway, it's always easier to shove a guy down a flight of stairs than to pull him down one. That may or may not apply to Warp speeds, but I would figure that push is the optimum arrangement for a Galaxy or Intrepid Class. Since the bulk of the mass of the ship is in the saucer section, they only have to produce enough power to get to Warp 5, and then maintain a little less, like 4.5 because the mass of the saucer keeps it going at Wapr 5, dragging the ship behind. Like a fat guy falling down a flight of stairs will stop later than a thin guy falling down a flight of stairs. But the wieghing factor would be how big the nacelles were, because the more massive, it would give a bigger push. You can't really count the Intrepid Class on this, one because the nacelles are so dern small, and they looked like they would explode if the went to FTL travel.
BTW, It always appeared to me that the Bellerophon had bigger nacelles that the rest, don't ya think?

[ June 03, 2002, 09:04: Message edited by: The Defiant ]

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I take a piece of paper, place a toy on it, & then ripple the paper in wavelike form, the toy moves forward. There's no "motive force" to speak of. It's mere active friction of the space itself against the hull.

When driving a car, the engine turns the driveshaft which turns the wheels which push (or pull depending on gear) against the surface of the road to impel the vehicle. But radiated field energy has nothing to impel against except...itself.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TNG tech manual probably gives a pretty detailed explanation of this. And like others have said, the nacelles emit the warp field, but they're not pushing the ship. Nor would forward-placed nacelles be pulling the ship.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by warping the fabric of space around the ship, the nacelles arent making the ship go fast, they are warping space so that it would be impossible for the ship to stay at rest. velocity doesnt apply except in reference to the distance they have traveled when they shut down the warp.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is purely a Technology Question. This belongs to Starships and Technologies section. Off it goes.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps