Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » More Pubococcygeal strain on the way (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: More Pubococcygeal strain on the way
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polar Lights Models has landed the Trek models contract vacated by ERTL and Revellogram, or so breaks the news from that CultTVman character.
quote:

Subj: [CultTVman] Bulletin! Star Trek kits
Date: 8/29/02 1:13:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Reply-to: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

It's official. Polar Lights is doing Star Trek kits!

The first kit will be a 1/1000 scale snap model of the classic TV Enterprise. This will be about 11 inches long and will come with parts to build the Enterprise in one of three versions, as it shown durring the series or the two pilots.

The second kit will be a larger glue kit of the NX-01 in the 1/350th scale and measuring 24 inches.

Dave Metzner posted the following on the Polar Lights board:

"Ok, so the cat's out of the bag, a wee bit early! We are doing Star Trek kits. Our hope is to reach both the novice modeler and the experienced builder with two lines of Starships. We are, indeed, doing a 1:350th NX-01, we HOPE that this will be the first in a series of several Starships in that scale. These kits will be Skill level 2 or 3 and will be designed for the more experienced modeller. We are also planning a line of 1:1000 scale ships as well.

We gave cosideration to several scales for our smaller sized ships. Because many of these ships will be sold in the Mass market as well as to Hobby shops we needed to assure that the finished package would fit on the Mass Market store shelves. We found that 1:700 is too large we believe that 1:1400 is too small (we felt that detail would suffer too much in injection molded parts for kits that small) 1:1000 seemed to us to be an excellent compromise. These kits are targeted for the beginning modeler and the casual modeler, thus the Snap Kit architecture.

For you hard core Enterprise fans, we didn't entirely forget you. This little kit is planned as a "Three-In-One" kit, with parts and markings that allow it to be built as both of the pilot versions as well as the Series production ship (Yes there are three different versions of NCC-1701). We even hope to include markings for one or two other Constitution class ships as part of the package. The kit as planned,will also offer both stickers for the beginner and waterslide decals for the more experienced builder. If you just cannot build models without glue, this kit will be styrene plastic and you will be able to glue it together if you can't resist the overpowering urge.

Those of you who are inclined to look down on snap kits ought to look at Bandai Gundam kits, or even better yet, check-out our new Back to the Future Kit. Snap kits can be engineered to produce models of quality equal to most glue kits.

One other note for those of you who may feel we are doing some sort of disservice to the Star Trek legend with these little kits. We did take time to find a respected designer with experience dealing in Star Trek Ships. Thomas Sasser is doing all the design work for us on both of these kits. Box art for both kits is being done by Chris White.

Dave

CultTVman's SF Modeling Page: http://www.CultTVman.com

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh sweet, sweet, Nancy.

Time to stand in line outside the hobby store.

*plans on completely redoing my collection of ships...*

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very excited, but not enough to slap elderly people with my erection.

I want big models.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erh... doesn't take a great deal of "effort" to turn you on, does it?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, the AMT Excelsior-class models ar 1/100, while the Constitution refit & Miranda ones are 1/537. A littel quick math will help with ideas.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i once knew a girl that suggesting doing something very wrong with a nacelle when i showed her the model. hows that for an idea?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should hope you mean 1/1000, Shik. A 4.4 m Excelsior model might take up a bit too much room on one's desk, not to mention cause Mike's female friend some discomfort.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"something very wrong with a nacelle"

Positioning it in such a way that it doesn't have at least 50% direct line-of-sight to the other?

capped
Member # 709

Bingo.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHile not related to Polar Lights, I must tell you of many new kits for my beloved 2500th scale (that's the same scale as the two 3 piece sets)from Ravenstar studios.
A Chandley and Andor class figates from the old FASA game
a Romulan "Bright One" (also a FASA design.)
and a couple of his original designs too!
these modes should be available in September some time....
Alliance has some kewel stuff coming up too and Nova has just released a Norway class in 1400th.
....all in all, it's a good time to be a Trek modeler. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain-class, Mike-variant:
i once knew a girl that suggesting doing something very wrong with a nacelle when i showed her the model. hows that for an idea?

What type and scale of nacelle? [Wink]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This does seem very wrong... I like it, in a strange sort of way, but still... The imagery.... The 1/100 may be a bit much though...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I raise my eyebrows to you, sir.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MODELS!!!

*Does 'Tarzan' yell*
*coughs up a lung*

At LAST!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, it's about damn time!

I experimented with a couple of resin models back in the spring. (No, not the kind of experimentation that Mike was talking about.) Although the quality in appearance was generally pretty good, I still prefer the styrene kits.

And despite the fact that the NX-01 doesn't quite fit the timeframe, you can bet that I'm going to get one of those. I'm glad to hear that someone's finally producing official kits again!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps