Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Nifty Geoffrey Mandel interview

Author Topic: Nifty Geoffrey Mandel interview
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As in, scenic artist on Enterprise last year, author of the new map book, and all-round �berfan.
Interesting.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh kewl... Timo gets a name drop

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo is everywhere. I was a little surprised to see him show up here, after reading his posts in rec.arts.startrek.* for awhile. It is a smaller world than I had thought at first, I guess.

And yet, when I Google for my name, what do I get? Well, me. AND ONLY ME! But not in a very wide assortment of places. Alas, fame. Thy fickle attentions seldom grace my humble plane.

But, uh, Timo doesn't live in Iceland.

OR DOES HE???

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Figuratively speaking, perhaps.

But I won't hold it against Geoff if he conceals the location of my secret hideout. All the easier for me to launch my world-domination campaign now.

And living in "iceland" is cool. [Razz]

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a land. It has ice. Close enough. For all we know, there may actually be a greater mass of ice than of Finns.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't have glaciers since we don't have proper mountains. But we do have a sea that freezes, which is more than the Icelanders can claim! (It's the low salinity, not the low temperature...)

And despite the best attempts by McDonald's, I still think the sea ice outmasses the human bulk here. Greenhouse effects notwithstanding.

Timo Saloniemi

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
We don't have glaciers since we don't have proper mountains. But we do have a sea that freezes, which is more than the Icelanders can claim! (It's the low salinity, not the low temperature...)

And despite the best attempts by McDonald's, I still think the sea ice outmasses the human bulk here. Greenhouse effects notwithstanding.

Timo Saloniemi

Hey - if it wasn't for that pesky greenhouse effect we'd still have a sea that freezes, or at least icebergs drifting in to "smokey bay" (aka Reykjavik).

Hands down though I think you are subjected to colder weather since we've got the Gulf Stream, so you'd have more ice. Of course everybody knows "Greenland is ice and Iceland is green" - it is green moss, but it is green.

When the anti-world-domination forces show up I'll be sure to tell them that you just left for New Zealand. [Smile]

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose - to some extent not entirely known -this applies to both Iceland and dreams of global conquest...

http://www.rathergood.com/vikings/

[Razz]

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Timo
Member # 245

[Roll Eyes]

Well, that particular world domination scheme is easily thwarted. You all know what to do to kill 'em kittens, right?

Finland gets the benefits of the Gulf stream, too - and without the disadvantages. The stream hits Norway first, the warm air races up the mountains, dumps its moisture on the Norwegians, and comes down the other side, gaining in temperature thanks to the F�hn/Chinook/whatever phenomenon, and warms up Sweden and Finland... In essence, Finland is like a miniature Canada, only warmer. [Razz]

I'm at loss of ideas to get back to the subject, really. Currents in space? Viking-like migrations between stars? Commonalities between Mandel and the Nordic countries?

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:::sighs::: I could do a wonderful post on early Norse tendencies, Icelandic legal culture, & the parallels to early Earth & Federation colonization efforts...if only I had my computer back so I could sit at home with all my books.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link, Toadkiller. Another site in the Really Weird collection.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps