Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Franz Joseph Designs

Author Topic: Franz Joseph Designs
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't help wonder what happened to the FJ design studio after the famous Tech manual and blue prints, did they produce anything else?

I DID find this link, which has some interesting stuff.

http://www.geocities.com/abotkals/rememberfjgallery.html

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Woozle. No one has replied. We really aren't THAT rude here. [Smile] I really don't know much about the FJ stuff - there are others here who know lots about it.

Was FJ just a fan who put stuff out or was he officially hired by Paramount?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if it was paramount but his work was definatly approved by GR at the time.
As for his other work; I think the only thing he did Trekwise is the Starfleet Manual and the Constitution blueprints.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And he wasn't a fan, but his daughter AFAIK.
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, thanks for the kind word, AndrewR, but I wasn't looking for a response anyway. There is always a lot of debate over and around FJdesigns stuff and I stumbled over this site, so I posted it for whenever it happens to come in handy.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was Joseph's daughter Karen Dick who was the Trekkie. Joseph did his Trek work mainly because of her enthusiasm.

Joseph's Star Trek Blueprints and Star Fleet Technical Manual were indeed done under license from Paramount. However, there's a twist. At the time the work was commissioned, Paramount allowed FJ to copyright both works in his name, rather than in Paramount's. As such, while they had the legal right to distribute them through Ballantine Books, they did not have actual ownership of the material.

A really good set of interviews and commentary that can explain all of this in more detail may be found here.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.