Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS Federation members (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TOS Federation members
switchbladeNGC
Member # 983

- posted      Profile for switchbladeNGC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than Earth and Vulcan (and their colonies) what other species were members of the Federation in TOS?
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tellerites and the Andorians were really the only ones identified by name in "Journey to Babel" not to mention several others which were unnamed onscreen. We can also assume that not long after that episode the Coridans were admitted to the Federation, as well, so theres at least 3 identified for ya.

By TMP we see many more...Deltans (presumably) and a number in the screening room of the ent-nil [refit], so add those in and that at least that sums up the TOS alien members.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my list of (possible) Federation members from TOS.

(This is from my new webpage.. hasn't gone live yet, and probably won't go live anytime soon. But it has better search functions than the old list).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Troyans - who were blue-skinned and supposedly cousins of the Andorians.

What about the Denoublians?

Caitians?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the Rigel aliens are probably members as well.

Another possible member are the Halkans, from "Mirror, Mirror", but I have never seen that episode, so I can't really judge it.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the "Mirror Mirror" aliens were not UFP members. They were an independent world with which the Federation was negotiating for mining rights. (Can't recall for sure exactly what it was they wanted to mine...might've been dilithium.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

switchbladeNGC
Member # 983

- posted      Profile for switchbladeNGC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After thinking about it more, this should be in the "Enterprise" section, due to where I was trying to go with it. I don't know how to move it so I started a new thread there.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After thinking about it, I decided that this thread belongs here and thus locked the one in the ENT forum. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

switchbladeNGC
Member # 983

Ok.

We should probably see some of these species on Enterprise in at least the next few seasons shouldn't we? (I think the Federation will be founded in the next 10 years Enterprise time)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, unless an actor not wearing any makeup is explicitly said to be an alien, I tend to count them as just being human, because a multiplicity of identical aliens bothers me on an aesthetic level. (This is is regards to all those people from "Journey to Babel.")
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Personally, unless an actor not wearing any makeup is explicitly said to be an alien, I tend to count them as just being human, because a multiplicity of identical aliens bothers me on an aesthetic level. (This is is regards to all those people from "Journey to Babel.")

Well, unfortunately, that's not what was intended by the TOS production staff. TOS (and, in some instances, the other series as well) is full of aliens that look exactly like humans.

It's almost a sure bet that those JtB extras were supposed to represent delegates from various UFP member worlds. IIRC it seemed as if the top Starfleet officers aboard the Enterprise (namely Kirk and company) were acting as Earth's representatives in the matter.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no reason to assume that they are aliens, however, because there are plenty of people who were supposed to be humans over the course of the show who had no attention drawn to that fact. So they're just as likely to be one as the other. I also didn't get a vibe that Kirk had any role in the conference itself, other than taxi.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you are saying that all of the humans we saw in all of those "Earth parallel" stories and such, specifically: "miri", "piece of the action", "return of the archons", "patterns of force", "omega glory", "bread and circuses" -- were indeed humans, and not in fact, the result of a low budget responsible for a nearly 40 year old debate that really screwed up the scheme of things with regards to what we should and shouldn't be assuming is human??

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

That isn't what I said. In the specific case of "Journey to Babel," there is little reason to assume that apparent humans aren't actual humans, since absolutely nothing is said about them. We know that the number of support staff onboard outweighed the number of actual delegates by a fair amount, so there's plenty of space for human aides to run around in. Uh, numerically speaking.

This is hardly a show-defining moment, anyway.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another member - Garth of Izar - was he Izarian or something?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps