Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Donald Varley: Competent Captain or reckless moron? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Donald Varley: Competent Captain or reckless moron?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....so as not to cause a huge sign pointing toward Bajor before they were ready?
mabye as a buffer between the Dominion and the Alpha Quadrant?
Time means nothing to them so any reason is possible.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well, the whole "time means nothing" thing was apparently also crap, judging by pretty much everything but the pilot...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read the Milenium books: they tie up all of the strange doings of te prophets nicely.
Hell of a good trilogy of books too. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Millennium was a decent 'pull it together' kind of romp that explained tons of loose ends left by the un-planned-ness of the DS9 Prophets and universe that transpired between 'Emissary' and 'What You Leave Behind' .. but it still left me feeling a little pissed off because .. well, the Reeves-Stevens just dont tell enjoyable stories.. everything is so dismal and inhuman.. their novels just make me feel depressed after reading them, rather than like i enjoyed something. the same goes for their shatner novels...

on the topic of post WYLB DS9 stories, i standby the Avatar series as definitive, they are just really good and enjoyable.. theres lots of continuity and fanboy stuff, but you get a real sense that things are progressing as they "should" and that this is the spirit of DS9 , continuing. the relaunch just has had an excellent grasp of how DS9's players and universe 'works'

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I am still waiting for Unity to hit the shelves!
It was due out in April and ...well...April is long gone but there's STIL no damn book!
You don't have it yet do you?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope, i'd heard of a delay.. i know they want it to be out this year, because its DS9s 10th anniversary.. i find it hard to believe that a book could be delayed a whole summer, but this seems to be the case..
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Man does that suck.
It's a fucking hardcover no less: just to look akward next to the other books, of course.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
November, y'all. Major suckage.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So their master plan is to postpone a book that's already written and lost lots of readers that might not stay intrested in a series that makes readers wait almost a year between installments and to miss the DS9 anniversary.

O-Kay.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're taking hints from Peter David.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

No shit!
I dropped New Frontier because of that crap....
....and because the stories were getting pretty damn stupid too.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing this back up. Watching the fourth season episode "To the Death", was interesting.

Sisko & Worf agreed to assist the Jem'Hadar because of the dangers in allowing anyone access to the technology. While Worf was on the original Iconian mission, Sisko wasn't, yet seemed pretty up-to-date on what had happened (which surprised Weyoun). It strikes me that Starfleet not only didn't keep Varley's actions a secret, but Sisko & Worf both seemed to support the decision to keep the Iconian technology out of hostile hands at ANY cost - including war.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Worf mention his previous Iconian experience in that episode? I don't think I've seen any fourth season DS9 since they were first on.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Sisko, Worf and the Defiant crew discuss what Weyoun told Sisko, Worf mentions that he was on the original mission to Iconia, and he can therefore vouch for the danger. O'Brien doesn't say anything, but I gather Worf meant the landing portion of the mission.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah, he mentions it.
As far as agreeing with varley's decision, it's pretty easy to armchair quarterback situations that went in favor of your side.

I'd figure that all starfleet captains/ commanders would have to be up to date on the Iconian situation (too much chance of catastrophic fubar otherwise) but that does'nt mean that the adverage Fed citizen is aware of that close call with galactic warfare.

Just as most US citizens don't now about a russian sub firing a torpedo (that missed) at an american ship during the cuban missile crisis.
It's not classified or anything, just not publicized (save for the history channel).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps