Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Borg history (Page 8)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Borg history
WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Borg assimilated Springfield..... would Apu become 7 of 11?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why would the borg need to come TO earth to travel back in time? Why not travel back in time AT HOME and then go to Earth around the industrial revolution? Is near Earth proximity the only place time travel is allowed? [Wink]
[/QB]

The Borg should be able to formulate complex strategies and alternate plans in a second (what with all that computing and brain power on hand and thousands of years of experience) and almost certainly came up with time travel only after their cube was blowing up around them.
It's even likely that the sphere they traveled in was fabricated from the cube's interior mass as soon as the battle turned against them (as oppposed to every cube having a silly 600 meter sphere inside for no good reason).

If the Borg did time travel back to the 21st century from their own space, they's still have to physically travel to earth and it's possible there were powerful races of that era that they'd rather not have to fight on the way.
Besides, a 24th century cube in their own space 300 years too soon would interfere with their own development. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sphere may also have been a device with only limited intersystem travel capability. All available space filled with the time travel equipment. The cube itself was an expendable delivery system.
IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But a newly-made sphere would explain why it was sssso easily destroyed.
It just was'nt quite finished.
If the Borg wanted to bother with two ships, why not just send another cube?
Picard or no, two cubes at once would have ended the movie (and franchise for that matter) very quickly. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Being constructed on board as it would have been. Perhaps never meant to last beyond its mission. Only the weapons needed to destroy the instalation. Shields not considered to be a big thing because they expected no real oposition. Borg throwaway mentality. One shot at the prize.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Makes sense to me: they sure didint expect Enterprise E to follow them.
I can just see the Borg queen's reaction:
"Not these assholes again!"

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason they never sent two cubes (in FC or BOBW), was that, to the Borg, they had a 99% chance of winning with just one Borg. Sending two would not have been efficient.

Of course, they reckoned without SUPER HERO MAIN CHARACTER DUDES, but all villians are guilty of that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, they also never bothered to use that damned Transwarp Conduit That Opened On Earth's Doorstep� either... would that be because the Borg just decided to be sporting?

Or, to come up with a halfway logical reason, perhaps the Borg wanted to take the long route so that they could wipe out some of the resistance along the way, thus causing more damage and possibly ensuring a quicker overall victory after Earth was assimilated (so they could spread from there).

Perhaps, they figured that Earth could not be held if most of Starfleet in the nearby regions remained intact afterwards?

But then, why not just send ten goddamned cubes through the conduit at once and lay waste to everything? [Roll Eyes]

*sigh* Part of me wants to just wipe all traces of Voyager off the face of the planet.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. Ever since BOBW I've felt that the TNG writers painted themselves into a corner where the Borg were concerned. VOY just worsened the damage.
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

I got the impression that Hugh's rogue Borg collective assimilated the transwarp tech from one of the planets that Lore helped them conquer, and that the Delta Borg got it later on. And the writers had their work cut out for them on all this thats for sure. P.S. just realized I had areadly mentioned that in an earlier post. but it still goes toward the timeline and logistics problems. Timelines the main thing damn time travel is confusing some times.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I don't think Lore's "gang" of drones conquored anything at all.
There would have been some reports of that huge ship....
Although it DOES seem that Lore was able to improve on the transpawp conduit to make it more useful (if at a more limited range).

I also really wish Voyager had never tampered with the Borg: the Borg could have become a real boogeyman if done right...but there was just no suspense in their stories at all. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Of course, they reckoned without SUPER HERO MAIN CHARACTER DUDES, but all villians are guilty of that.

They also never reckoned with making SUPER VILLIAN MISTAKES!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Remember the planet where Lore had his Home base. And I believe another dead planet was mentioned. No one survived to tell what of happened. Hughes collective under Lores influence fought differently than any other Borg. Killing was more important than assimilation of new drones.P.S. remember also that the ship that picked up Hugh was not transwarp otherwise it would have been mentioned. Transwarp was introduced by the 'Lore Gang' episode.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Just because it was a dead planet does'nt mean Lore band of (definitely less than a thousand) losers killed the population.
Heck the Transwarp tech could have been there already and Lore just modified it.

Or Lore call in another of his crystal snowflake pals to clean house before he moved in.... [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Good point about the size of Hughes collective. No one will ever be sure who the missing populatio were. Perhaps they will turn up one day in a movie. Perhaps they left to avoid confrontation with an enemy and ran into the delta Borg. Lore was one dangerous AI, could have destroyed a population by him self using bio weapons.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps