Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ST:IV FASA Sourcebook Update - Efrosian

Author Topic: ST:IV FASA Sourcebook Update - Efrosian
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is this guy?. According to the STIV Sourcebook Update, he's an Efrosian. I've never seen this guy anywhere else. But it seems to be a genuine photo, since he wears the UFP medal and that other strange UFP badge.

Are there more pictures of this alien? Has anyone spotted him in the movie?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. There's a long-haired Efrosian on the bridge of Saratoga in ST:IV as she encounters the Whale Probe. However, I believe that ST:IV is the first and last time we encounter this race, like so many others before and after. Since TOS and TNG, it seems that TIIC* at Paramount like to show us a race/species in one movie or episode only to never show them again. Imagine if they'd give us more variety for their lil' universe. I mean, look at all the ThrowAway Races they had in DS9, as well as a few in TNG. At least VOY had an excuse for not doing that, as they were doing a whole lot of traveling and weren't as likely to constantly encounter the same races over and over.

(*TIIC = The Idiots In Charge)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the UFP President in Star Trek VI an Efrosian? Or am I confusing my races again? I might be, since Griff said we saw one on the bridge of the Saratoga, and the only alien I remember was I believe the same actor playing a member of the same race as the UFP Pres.

Maybe Griff is confusing his races. Bad Griff.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's actually part of the reason I created the "No Longer Allowed to Edit Posts?" thread. I had just hit "add reply" when I remembered the Pres from ST:VI. Of course, instead of doing the "smart thing" and just making a whole new reply w/in the thread, I created a whole new thread someplace completely different!

Not that I've ever exactly been accused of being "smart", mind you.... [Frown]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the president's race to me.
Pretty cool uniform if you lose that dorky armpatch.
I wonder what color the uniform was?
Yellow and black might be cool with their white hair.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that the Saratoga helmsman and the ST:VI President were Efrosian.. but this guy looks quite different. No beard, no long hair, and strange markings on his face.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
No beard,and strange markings on his face.

Do you mean with "strange markings" his beard?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He looks like "what if Levar Burton were an albino". [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at photos again of the Federation President and the Saratoga helmsman, there are some obvious differences between the character photo in the Trek IV Sourcebook and the two acknowledged Efrosians.

Both the President and the helmsman seem to have more prominent foreheads and the hairline starts farther back on the head. so the differences between the Sourcebook Efrosian and the "official" Efrosians aren't merely grooming. Also the Efrosian in the Sourcebook looks like he has light irises, unfortunately we cannot tell because of the black and white photo, but they appear to me to be light blue or light grey, yellow?, while the President and the helmsman appear to have dark brown or black irises.

I don't recall seeing him in Trek IV, but I still have the pan and scan version of Trek IV on VHS. Since he appears to wear civilian garb, I am assuming that he was meant to participate in one of the Federation Council scenes. Since the photo is cropped, and may be enlarged as well, its hard to determine which scene this guy would have appeared in, or it could also be a publicity photo or scene that never made it to the release.

So I guess that its possible that this guy is a citizen of Efros, but I don't think its likely that he is related to the Federation President or the helmsman. Maybe the planet has two intelligent races? However, he looks like he is more related to the blue-eyed and bald extra in the TMP who was concerned about Captain Decker when it was revealed that Kirk was taking command of Enterprise, than the President and helmsman.

Does the Trek IV Sourcebook discuss who or what the helmsman is?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Yes. It says he's an Efrosian (a picture of him is right next to this picture).

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:
Also the Efrosian in the Sourcebook looks like he has light irises, unfortunately we cannot tell because of the black and white photo, but they appear to me to be light blue or light grey, yellow?, while the President and the helmsman appear to have dark brown or black irises.

I seem to remember them being very light blue.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps