Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New design for Startrek.com (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New design for Startrek.com
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:

After all, if there are such excellent sources out there as Ex Astris Scientia, Federation Starship Datalink, TrekMania, and others... then why shell out $50 for the Encyclopedia when you can find any of the info you need on the Internet for free?

Naaa...If anyone, anywhere would shell out $30 for a quick refrence it would be us: the hardcore fans.
I'd certainly rather relax and look at The Unseen Frontier in my easy chair than watch a slideshow of pics I gleaned after hours of online search.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:
Can you please explain what your role was on the project? My apologies if you have already discussed this, but I am interested in how these projects come about and then make it to press. Is The Unseen Frontier dead or on hiatus, or can you not comment because you are under contract or under terms of a non-disclosure agreement?

UF is pretty much dead. We've still got the material and outlines, and I think Mojo is holding it against the day where some of it might be useful in another project, which is why I generally don't talk about it. Don't bother asking me for any material; I ain't sayin' nothing, except that what we *did* do looked reaaaaaaaaally nice. If you're gonna see anything, it'll be via Mojo; he likes to show it around when he's guesting at sci-fi cons.

My job on UF would have been as a writer and tech consultant, plus doing the background and continuity checks. Remember the USS Centaur in the ST Mag a while back? I helped a bit with the research and compromises in the design (that made it look nicer), and which would have ultimately seen the model in the Dominion War section of UF. There would have been corrected models of ships that Foundation had been using, plus other new CG models for the book, including the New Orleans and Ambassador, which I was really pushing for... I also did some technical and historical writeups and captions describing some of the artwork. I had no contact with Pocket - Mojo did the coordination between guys like me, the CG artists that were being contracted, and the publishers.

Ahh, CPO Jamie Francis-Meyer, how I'll miss him...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark thank you for commenting as much as you could about the project and your experience with "Star Trek: The Magazine". [Big Grin] I wouldn't dare ask you to post any of the content.

Alas for "Unseen Frontier." It sounds like it would have been a great book if it had gone into print.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I also did some technical and historical writeups and captions describing some of the artwork. Mark

I hope you aren't in-charge of labelling the pictures for the Fact Files! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HELL no.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There must be something wrong with my browser, I can't get the site to really work worth shit. If I go into the 'library' and say look at 'ships', I can only see the first 20 and no link or forward button on the site to see the next 20...

I would assume the page isn't completely loaded, but I allowed it plenty of time to load but still can only get the first page of every library list.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Futurama Guy do you see the slider bar at the bottom of the page? It looks like it was created using Macromedia Flash 6. I would try upgrading to Macromedia Flash Player 6 or reinstalling the Flash Player on your computer.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
quote:
To some extent Pocket Books have only themselves to blame. They super-saturated the market with mediocre and plain poor content.
Examples? The "nonfiction" Star Trek book market took a nosedive beginning with the spectacular failure of the Enterprise D blueprints, which, while not perfect, I would hardly describe as "plain poor."
I would. If you look at the top plan of the ship you can tell that they mirrored one side to make the other because all the numbers on the lifeboat hatches are BACKWARDS (mirrors).

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm sure James Dixon disgustedly returned his blueprints when he discovered the numbers were mirrored, but for the sake of humanity I hope it was only him.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps