Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The DS9 Relaunch Series.

Author Topic: The DS9 Relaunch Series.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been boning up ("the butt!") on my DS9 lately (won some eBay auctions, yay), and am finding myself interested in the DS9 Relaunch books.

What order should I read them in? I assume there are (yay) crossover books with TNG or VOY in there somewhere? I also remember reading something about a series focusing on Martok? Help in determining the correct reading order would be very much appreciated.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should start with "The Battle of Betazed," which introduces DS9's new XO, Elias Vaughn.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spike,

Thanks. What I'm looking for here is either a list of books in the order they should be read, or a site where I can find that. I don't even know what books are in the series! [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Battle of Betazed
A Stitch in Time
(those both come before the Relaunch proper, but are important)
Section 31: Abyss
Gateways: Demons of Air and Darkness (book 4 of the crossover)
Pick up and read the DS9 portion of Gateways: What Lay Beyond in the book store, unless you are interested in the rest of the crossover
Mission: Gamma, Books 1-4
Rising Son
Unity (when it comes out in November)

Any other suggestions?
--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That "series about Martok" would be the Hertzler-Lang cooperation books "Left Hand of Destiny, I/II". It's classified as a DS9 piece and does deal with the post-"WYLB" events, although it could also be seen as a divergence point where the big Klingons move to the "IKS Gorkon" line of books. It's a pretty good read, too.

Also, the new "Lost Years" project that deals with the time between TOS movies and TNG features a DeCandido contribution that deals with Klingons, Cardassians and the Betreka nebula incident. Based on the material at psiphi.org, DeCandido knows his "A Stitch in Time", and stays stylistically and thematically faithful to that. So I'd count that one as a Relaunch book, too. Dunno about the other "Lost Years" works.

Timo Saloniemi

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other Lost Era books look darn good and consistent with what else has come recently.

As for the Martok books, I'd recommend reading Diplomatic Implausibility first, then those, then the I.K.S. Gorkon books, and -- if you're a completist -- the Brave & the Bold books. Hm. For that matter, just go to Kieth's web site and read everything he's written. *chuckle*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Couple of Minor one's
Lives of Dax or more specifically
"Sins of the Mother" By S.D. Perry and
"Allegro Ouroboros in D Minor" by S.D. Perry and Robert Simpson. Those stories have elements that are picked up in the Mission Gamma series.
SCE Cold Fusion. Clears up a plot point in between Avatar 2 and Section 31:Abyss, but not essential.

Technical, A Stitch in Time isn't considered part of the Relaunch, but I belive the authors intend to use it as a guide.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Huh... I didn't know that about the Dax or SCE books. Guess I'll have to go spring for those now... Gives me something to do while I wait for Unity. [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------

Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek novels are excellent.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you taken super-curmudgeon pills recently, or something?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.