Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What's non-canon about Star Trek VI? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What's non-canon about Star Trek VI?
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kmart: Very interesting. That's the first time I get an idea of GR's objections to ST VI (other than a general "it destroys his vision").

And about canonicity of ST V/VI vs. TAS. While the Encyclopedia as such cannot be *the canon*, it represents canon. I mean, the Okudas wouldn't write this very thick and usually very reliable book, include all kinds of references, only to add user notes, which mark TAS as non-canon and certain events of ST V/VI too. The second edition corrected some errors (namely introduction of selected non-canon facts) made in the Encyclopedia I and the Chronology, so the motivation and goal is clear.

This would make the two movies bascially canon, but I have no problem to disrespect a few troublesome facts, like I don't have the problem with "Spock's Brain" or "Threshold" either.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The encyclopedia doesn't mark certain events in ST V and VI as non-canon. It says that Roddenberry had a problem with them, but as far as the book (and the general practise of "canon" with regards to Star Trek), V and VI are as canon as any other movie, and I really need to find some synonyms for "canon".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I really need to find some synonyms for "canon".

"kosher"? [Razz]

seriously though, all of the dictionary references seem to point at the word "law", otherwise there are no thesaurical references to the word.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, while I liked what TUC was trying to do, I thought it was a ham-fisted way of doing it. The movie fell pray to my biggest complaint with Star Trek: that it wants to touch on important issues, but it's only willing to do so by telling the audience that it's deep, not by showing any depth itself. The quotes from Shakespeare, which should have served as literary allusions to the themes being explored, are overused to the point that they club you over the head not with a message, but merely as the filmmakers showing you they've read it...or at least used Bartlett's familiar quotations.

The racism displayed is also too heavy handed...it would have been more shocking to see it come out with subtlety, allowing the characters themselves to be able to see it for the first time by hearing it from the lips of their supposedly enlightened compatriots.

And Scotty's "I bet that Klingon bitch killed her father!" still makes me cringe.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
And Scotty's "I bet that Klingon bitch killed her father!" still makes me cringe. [/QB]

He said that?

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally Posted By Capt.Blair245
He said that?

You call yourself a Trek fan?! You should be able to recall all references from all episodes and movies to fit in around here. [Wink]

BTW, it was right after Valeris slid down the strippers pole and shook the wall in the torpedoe room and informed Spock and Scotty that Azetbur was named Chancellor. Then came the whole, "Klingons don't have tear ducts" reference.... [Big Grin]

--------------------

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That happened? J/K.

How do they keep their eyes moist??

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, who says that Klingon eyeballs need to be? (Though I'm sure we've seen more than a few shots of Klingons with remarkably dewey expressions for a tearless species.)

My favorite thing about Star Trek VI, and something for which I am willing to forgive nearly any fault, is its political nature. That is to say, not its allegorical political nature, but the way in which the film involves itself in the fictional politics of Star Trek. Always my favorite thing.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the space battle parts and it's always cool to see an Excelsior class (I can almost overlook the complete lack of phasers in the movie...almost) but the rest really blew.
The shape-shifter stuff is really tough to even watch and the racist comments make Starfleet seem like the Galactic Empire more than Star Trek.
Spock mind-rapes Valaris for information (he'd sure not do that on TOS).
All the Shakespere stuff is terrible...just awful.
I'm not suprised Gene considered it apocryphal.

Best part of the movie: the ending. It was well handled and a good send off for the original crew.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The racist comments weren't by everyone. McCoy is pretty quiet, with the only notable comment by him during the dinner being "That's not true". And he immedietly wants to go over to Kronos One to help the injured, regardless of whether they are Klingons. Uhura's pretty quiet too. Chekov does make that "Guess who's coming to dinner" quip, but that was so brilliant, I'll allow it. And Kirk does have his reasons. Having your son murdered will cloud your judgement.

We only see two Enterprise crewman making actual out and out racist comments. And, guess what? They turn out to be murderers. So it's a bit unfair to use them as a typical example.

And yes, Spock wouldn't mind rape someone in TOS. But TUC isn't TOS. It's about 25 years later. And, guess what? People change. TOS Spock wouldn't force a mind meld like that, but I can completely see the TWOK Spock, or the TUC Spock (who are the most similar ones, considering that Spock was a bit out of it in TVH and TFF) doing it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
quote:
Originally Posted By Capt.Blair245
He said that?

You call yourself a Trek fan?! You should be able to recall all references from all episodes and movies to fit in around here.
Sorry FG, I'm 13! I grew up thinking Star Trek was started by a bald English/French guy...
Not some fat,old geezer with more ego than brains...

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

13??!! Good God, you were born the year of Locutus! [Eek!]

This place certainly isn't for kids....for many many reasons. [Wink]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek VI also includes the single greatest McCoy scene ever.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A clip in the Star Trek 25th Anniversary Special shows the TUC dinner scene being filmed, and reveals snippets of the dialogue prior to editing, notably a biting line by Brigadeer Kerla, accusing, “You hypocritically presume that your democratic system gives you a moral prerogative to force other cultures to conform to your politics.”

The film’s screenplay reveals the original structure of the dinner scene. As edited in the final film, it seems the Enterprise crew is arguing with the Klingons, but, as the script reveals, it was written so that it starts out as an argument with the Klingons, and ends up with the Enterprise crew arguing amongst themselves!

Here’s select text from the script. Material used in the final film is boldfaced (some of it was altered slightly).

CHANG
Come now, Captain,, this dinner is off the record: in space all warriors are cold warriors.

SCOTTY
We have never tried to.....

KERLA
You hypocritically presume that your democratic system gives you a moral prerogative to force other cultures to conform to your politics.

McCOY
That's not true.....!

KERLA
No?

Uhura turns to the Klingon next to her - all tact.

UHURA
General, are you fond of Shakespeare?

He looks at her, his hands and mouth full of food. Ugh!

Chekov pursues.

CHEKOV
Ve do not impose democracy on others. Ve do believe that every planet has a sovereign claim to human rights.

AZETBUR
(Spits)
"Human rights". Even the name is racist. The Federation is basically a "Homo Sapiens" only club.....

Spock reacts to this. Chang is amused.

CHANG
Present company excepted, to be sure...

UHURA
Well, I suppose we're not perfect.

SCOTTY
(rising)
Don't let them put words in your mouth! I haven't served 30 years in the engine room of a Starship to be accused of gunboat diplomacy!

KERLA
In any case, we know where this is leading, the annihilation of our culture. Klingons will replace those on the lowest rung of the Federation employment ladder, taking menial jobs and performing them for lower pay......

CHEKOV
That's economics, not racism!

UHURA
But you have to admit it adds up to the same thing.

McCOY
Don't be naive, Commander!

UHURA
Who are you calling "naive"?

Kirk stares sullenly down the table throughout this.

CHEKOV
We're explorers, not diplomats!

McCOY
Starfleet's killed an awful lot of natural phenomena in the name of "exploration"......

SCOTTY
We follow orders......

CHEKOV
Since when has THAT been an excuse? Diplomacy must resolve these.....

SCOTTY
Right! Leave it to the politicians to muck it up and leave us defenseless....!

A cough interrupts the fight. All eyes on Gorkon. The Klingons conceal their amusement.

GORKON
Well. I see we have a long way to go.

As written, this would have given the minor characters meatier roles, and allowed them, for once, to actually disagree. However, as fun as the scene is, many of the lines don’t feel right for the characters, and it’s not surprising that they were not used.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

And in case anyone thought only Chang was spouting off quotations...

Spock: “I intend you to replace me.”
Valeris: “I could only succeed you, sir.”
from
Thomas Jefferson: “I succeed him. No one could replace him.”

Chang: “Don’t wait for the translation! Answer me now!”
from
U.N. ambassador Adlai Stevenson, speaking to the Soviet ambassador during the Cuban Missle crisis, "Do you deny that these are your missiles? Don't wait for the translation, answer me now. And I'm prepared to wait until hell freezes over for your answer, Mr. Ambassador."

Martia: “I thought I would assume a pleasing shape.”
from
The devil hath power
To assume a pleasing shape.
--WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
Hamlet, II, ii, 628

As to the President's statement: “Let us redefine progress to mean just because we can do a thing, does not necessarily mean we must do that thing.” It sounds familair to me, but I can't place a source.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.