Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bashir as a changling... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bashir as a changling...
Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the thread regarding Eddington's betrayl, there is a sub-discussion on when, where and how Bashir was substituted with a changeling.

There is an interesting essay on the subject at Ex Astris Scientia. It can be found here:

Bashir as a Changeling

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Bashir's line to Worf & Garak is something along the lines of "I went to sleep in my quarters and woke up here." Did he sleep in his uniform? Maybe, or maybe he just had an old uniform in his dresser and whoever kidnapped him grabbed it so he wouldn't be naked.

When Changelings impersonate someone for a long period of time, it seems that they do as much as possible to continue the illusion - look at Changeling Martok, who was in the disguise for at least a year. It's not really all that unbelievable that Changeling Bashir would be trained as a doctor (which probably also suggests that the Dominion had been planning on kidnapping Bashir for quite some time).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think any special training would be necessary when you consider that the Founders already have a considerable amount of knowledge in humanoid genetics (as evidenced by the Jem'hadar and the Vorta), bio-chemistry (the white) and viral micro-biology (the blight.)
From what little we understand about the great link we can conjecture that it is among other things a medium for exchanging thoughts, ideas and memories so any changeling wishing to pose as a doctor can get whatever information it needs from the link. I'm not saying that the Founders are omnipotent, but their collective knowledge must be considerable.
The only tricky part in this deception is fooling those closest to Bashir that nothing is amiss.
Especially Odo, he seams to have a 'sixth sense' with changeling infiltrators (sixth sense in inverted commas since we don't actually know how many senses a changeling has to begin with.)
Fooling Garak would was also a commendable achievement, obviously this was a particularly talented infiltrator.
I'd wager that he followed Bashir around for months getting his character down. [Wink]

Martok's case was probably allot easier since he spent a great deal of time away from his Sirella and as a senior officer he probably didn't spend much time with Grex either.
As a Klingon all he had to do was shout, head butt people, pretend to eat, drink and use the waste extractor and none of his men would be any the wiser.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'd wager that he followed Bashir around for months getting his character down."

Probably posed as his wallet, or something.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...which is just another example of how badly written as a whole Trek races are. [Wink]

Here's an idea: the changeling WAS Bashir's uniform! It stole his old uniform and impersonated his clothes until it was time to replace Bashir himself. Then Bashir was sent to the Dominion prison facility, uniform and all. Works as well as anything. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, my pet subject. I have thought a lot about this, no-one agrees with me, but here goes anyway. . . With the thread I posted at TNO about three and a half years ago!

quote:
In 2373, Lieutenant Julian Subatoi Bashir, Chief Medical Officer of Deep Space Nine, was kidnapped by the Dominion (while away at a medical conference) and replaced by a Changeling. Dr. Bashir's subsequent appearance in a Dominion prison camp, wearing a style of uniform that had been replaced half a dozen episodes before, has left the exact date of his capture uncertain.
However, more than a year later, when under interrogation by Section 31, it was revealed he had been held captive for 36 or 37 days (I forget which). This is significant because that figure is almost exactly one-tenth of a year, or 100 stardates. We still don't know how stardates are meant to work, but one thing is certain: there are 1000 of them in a year!

Naturally it's not as cut-and-dried as this; "By Inferno's Light," the episode where Bashir escapes, is the 15th episode of the season - yet only it and three other episodes prior to it have stardates mentioned in them.

Therefore we can assume Bashir was kidnapped on or about Stardate 50465, 100 prior to the given Stardate (in "BIL") of 50564.2.

Here's the Timeline:

"The Rapture:" DS9 crew appear wearing the new uniforms. While the changeover was not complete throughout Starfleet (an Admiral and his staff retain the TNG uniforms) Bashir is seen wearing the new style. He also performs delicate neurosurgery on Captain Sisko, and it is this that has always worried people - was it the Changeling? If so, why did he save Sisko? After all he could hardly have known Sisko woulkd recommend Bajor not join the Federation, something the Dominion would prefer not to happen!

"The Darkness and The Light:" Stardate 50416.2, which confirms that at this stage Bashir cannot have been replaced.

"The Begotten:" We're now into the realm of extreme uncertainty! Bashir delivers Keiko/Kira's baby, and also assists Odo and Dr. Mora Pel in treating an infant Changeling. . . yet as "The Die is Cast" the previous year shows, one Changeling would be willing to break his cover to save another - Bashir lets the baby Founder die, and also allows it to cure Odo the outcast.

"For the Uniform:" Stardate 50485.2; I can't remember how much, if at all, Bashir was in this episode. But the Stardate indicates it is set after he must have been replaced.

"In Purgatory's Shadow:" Here the real Bashir is seen in prison, and the Changeling begins overt action.

"By Inferno's Light:" Stardate 50564.2; Sometime around this stardate, Bashir escapes the prison camp, ending the 36-7 day period mentioned.

So was it Bashir or the Changeling in "The Begotten?" I'd say Bashir. I've tried to work the stardate out using the total gestation period of Keiko's baby - but it's impossible! Even assuming a normal 9-month pregnancy (ie 750 stardates) we don't know when the conception was, and if as some people remember O'Brien told Worf the news in "Accession" (the episode before "Rules of Engagement," Stardate 49665.3) then the baby might have been conceived on or around 49600, and born around 50450 - 850 stardates, giving a pregnancy with another half-trimester! Ouch. . .

It's not concrete, I admit that. We can say that with 26 episodes per season, and 52 weeks per year, one episode happens per fortnight, or about 35-40 stardates. The separation between "TDaTL" and "FtU" (70 stardates with one ep in between) above bear this out. This puts "The Begotten" as just before (about a week, anyway) Bashir left on his conference, and we know he wouldn't go anywhere so close before the birth.

So why the uniform? Simple. Bashir went to bed one night, and woke up in a prison camp. He was probably beamed straight out of bed. They'd been planning this for a while, and had even laid on clothes for him - not knowing that they would be out of date. They HAD to have planned this for a while, in order to have a Changeling prepared to function as a human doctor for however long it took.

Reviewing this, it struck me what a clever idea it was to have Siddig El-Fadil's character be taken. Why TPTB at Paramount chose him I don't know, but within the show it makes perfect sense. Why Bashir and not someone else?

Sisko: too important, impossible to replicate all his knowledge. Family member on the station.

Kira: pregnant when plan formulated.

Odo: Duh. . .

Worf: Likewise, a lot of knowledge. Quite possibly the most pissed-at-the-world person of all time, the rod up his ass has a rod up its ass. Relationship with other crew member. . .

Dax: Trying to imitate a symbiont and host with 7 lifetimes of experience? Tricky.

O'Brien: Years of hands-on experience in engineering impossible to pass on to Founder; family on board, plus Kira living with them then.

Jake: Why?

Quark: Nope.

No, Bashir is the obvious choice. Single (or no solid relationships) and rather aloof (no-ome knew why then) with a range of knowledge easy to duplicate given his tendency to write a paper or give a talk on anything new he discovered at the drop of a hat. And a Changeling had already impersonated him without anyone immediately noticing. As CMO he can go anywhere. . .

And why give him a STARFLEET uniform in any case? Easy - they knew his size!

I then did some more research. . .

quote:
. . . and it seems that the choice of uniform for the real Bashir was meant to imply he had been replaced before "The Rapture." It was a spur of the moment idea, and they figured that nothing special had happened in the previous few episodes to contradict is. Echevarria (who wrote "The Begotten") expressed doubts about the way Bashir failed to help the baby changeling, but they just said that he was sticking to his cover no matter what.

And then they go and contradict it again later by giving a ridiculously short time of his imprisonment!

From TrekWeb: 'If Bashir was a changeling, then how did he manage to miss the detection of damage to the baby changeling? Did he really miss the damage? Or did he intentionally destroy the baby changeling? Producer Ronald D. Moore: "I don't think the Bashir-changeling missed the damage to the baby, and I don't think he intentionally harmed it. More likely is that the damage could not be repaired and he simply let events play themselves out."'

And:

'Writer Ronald D. Moore: "The revelation that Bashir had been a changeling for a few episodes was something that came up during the story break of "Purgatory's Shadow." We thought it would be a really cool surprise and a quick check of the preceeding episodes showed that it wouldn't damage anything in those shows (although Ren� [Echevarria] did have reservations about the Changeling-Bashir delivering Kira's baby [in The Begotten])."'

Someone needs to ask Echevarria, RDM, RHW or ISB about this. Was the time give in "Inquisition" (written by Bradley Thompson & David Weddle) an attempt to correct the furore over the date of the abduction, I wonder. . .

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the idea that it was the Changeling who operated on Sisko. Why would he? It was far more in the interests of the Dominion to have him die, they didn't know that Loony Prophet Sisko was going to recommend Bajor not join the Federation. Of course, there's a flaw in that argument - would it really matter to the Founders whether Bajor was a UFP member or not? All their not being a member did for them was give them neutral status when Sisko abandoned DS9 to the Jem'Hadar. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OTOH, it would have been more advantageous for the Founders to keep their Cardassian puppet happy and content by letting him lay waste to Bajor than to strain relations with Dukat by signing that N-A pact.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stardates don't go in order.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point. So, all in all Sisko's influence on Bajor maybe wasn't then a factor in his surviving or not. So why then would a Changeling operate (successfully, not letting him die) on him? Purely to maintain his cover? What then was his ultimate goal? I'm not sure how far in advance the collapse-the-wormhole plan, which the Changeling did blow his cover to sabotage, existed, so I can't believe he was there just for that!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye they intended to replace Sisko and needed him to (publically) survive.
The chance to permanantly stabalize the Wormhole was just to good to pass up and the plan to replace sisko was abandoned in favor of that.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you recall the changeling's mission was to make the Bajoran sun supernova, taking with it a sizeable chunk of the Federation, Klingon and Romulan fleets (whither or not the Founders knew that the Romulans would turn up is neither here nor there) along with Bajor, DS9 and yes Sisko.

So as far as the changeling was concerned Sisko was as good as dead and Bajor would soon become irrelevant (not to mention non-existent).
Killing Sisko on the operating table would not only be a pointless exercise but it might risk blowing his cover if foul play was detected.

quote:
Probably posed as his wallet, or something.
Personally I suspect Kukalaka. Nobody ever suspects the cute little teddy bear!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered why the extremely high amounts of energy generated by Bajor-B'hava'el going supernova would not end up destroying the wormhole too! Wouldn't THAT cause a lot of problems for the Dominion?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We saw in Generations, Rapture, The Way of the Warrior, Homefront/Paradise Lost and Emissary - that Starfleet officers can and do change their uniforms at times of 'cross over'. Maybe for a certain period Officers can wear both - a la Generations.

So maybe Bashir reverted to his older uniform for his trip to the Medical conference?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew -

The DS9-style duty uniform and the TNG-style duty uniform weren't a "crossover" -- both were apparently in use for several years concurrently. The DS9-style uniform seemed to be an alternate uniform, and the TNG-style tunic didn't go away until the First Contact style was introduced - even then, yes, some of the Admirals and their staff still wore the older uniform. I would hardly use the DS9-style and TNG-style as evidence of a "crossover" period between uniforms. I mean, how long does it take? You upload uniform patterns to every starbase and starship and order everyone to start wearing them the next shift.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, when I first saw this thread I thought it said "Blair as a Changling" and now that I think of it.... [Eek!]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps