Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bashir as a changling... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bashir as a changling...
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
One alleged purpose of using stardates, though, is that they provide a universal timekeeping standard across the vast reaches of Federation space.

That's what I'm saying though, is that this is a huge mistake. They don't. The sooner people accept that, the better. (Sorry to sound so overzealous, but I'm really getting tired of these deabates on stardate inconsistancies and people trying to make more of them than was ever intended by TPTB.)

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
If stardates aren't constant from place to place, they're useless.

Precisely. [Wink]
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roddenberry's statement though was him merely coming up with a way of covering mistakes with stardates with tech talk. It's really, really apparent that stardates are suppossed to be chronological, that they are consistent across space, and that, since TNG started, 1000 = 1 year.

Even the messed up TNG season 1 stardates are in some sort of order. If you planted them on a graph, you'd get a roughly increasing line, not a random series of dots.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there are two seperate lines of argument here. One is that stardates are often not what they should be. The other is that, these mistakes aside, stardates are "really" universal and usable. These don't really seem to be in conflict.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps