Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bernd: Your inconsistencies section.. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bernd: Your inconsistencies section..
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
someone linked to your page at http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies4b.htm recently while discussing a few other things, i ntoiced a few other things i'd like to sound off on

the part about who commanded he Enterprise during the refit. It was Decker, and was explicitly stated in the movie. He was an untried captain that Admiral Kirk replaced. [center]
quote:
44 INT. TRAVEL POD - KIRK AND SCOTT 44

Scott nervously eying Kirk, and finally deciding to
make one more effort:

SCOTT
The crew hasn't had near enough
transition time with all the new
equipment. And the engines,
Admiral: they've yet to be even
tested at warp power. Add to
that, an untried Captain...

KIRK
(hint of smile)
Two and a half years as Chief of
Starfleet Operations may have
made me a little stale, Mr. Scott
-- but I wouldn't exactly consider
myself 'untried.'

It takes Scott a moment to comprehend, and Kirk smiles
now, nods:

[/center][center]
quote:
KIRK
I appreciate the welcome; I wish
the circumstances were less
critical.
(to Uhura)
Epsilon Nine is monitoring the
intruder; keep a channel open to
them.
(glances around)
Where is Captain Decker?

SULU
He's in Engineering, sir...
(uncomfortable,
indicates Captain's
chair)
He doesn't know.

Kirk reacts with some exasperation, starts away,
addresses Chekov:

KIRK
Mr Chekov, assemble the crew on
the Rec Deck at 0400 hours. I
want to show them what we're
facing.

And Kirk moves to the elevator, enters, is gone. The
moment the elevator doors snap closed:

SULU
I wouldn't have wanted to have
been standing in his way. He
wanted her back; he got her!

ALIEN ENSIGN
(perturbed)
And Captain Decker? He's been
with the ship every minute of
her refitting...

UHURA
(brittle)
Ensign -- our chances of coming
back from this mission in one
piece may have just doubled...!

[/center]also, on the matter of Valtane in "Flashback" that episode completely misinterprets the events of ST:VI.. IN the briefing (just after the Excelsior scene at the opening), Captain Spock state that the explosionof PRaxis had been monitored two months earlier, in the episode "Flashback" the Excelsior is heading to the conference some two days after. the writer didnt take into account that it would be months after the explosion the the assassinations and the subsequent battle at KHitomer, not days(of course, they mightve been going 'by the book' like Lt Saavik [Wink] and the two months seemed like days...)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last but not least, Valtane was a Commander and I really doubt that he would share his quarters with an ensign.

Re: Picard's age
I think I read somewhere that TPTB made Picard intentionally older than Stewart to show that people in the future look younger than they are and live longer.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something struck me:

quote:
Another possibility is that Bashir changed to a different uniform for the medical conference. That is, however, unlikely. There is apparently no such tradition. For example, in "Rapture", Starfleet officers who arrived on DS9 did not change into DS9-gray uniforms.
There is precedent. Sisko changed into a TNG style uniform when he went to Earth in "Homecoming".

However, that situation was a bit different. The implication seems to be that the TNG and DS9 uniforms were concurrent, and it was up to ship or starbase commanders to pick what to wear. Possibly since the DS9 one looked more casual than the TNG one, Sisko decided to smarten himself up before he met the President.

However, the FC uniform seems to be fleetwide. A possibly explanation for the other Starfleet officers not wearing it in Rapture is that United Fed Ex hadn't got around to delivering it yet. Maybe.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also read the same thing as Spike about Picard's age. And regarding his hair loss:

Someone once asked Gene Roddenberry about why they chose a bald person as captain. They said "Surely baldness will have been cured by then."

Roddenberry's answer was that, by the 24th century, it wouldn't matter either way.

Of course, later Trek series were a bit less "evolved wonderful human beings" than TNG, but even the ever-so-slightly vain Tom Paris doesn't seem to have done much to fix his receeding hair line. Unless Voyager ran out of Monoxonel in the Delta Quadrant.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this guy in the background, from "ToTP" I think, really annoys me. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Liam... You're telling me that an Admiral coming straight from Earth to admit Bajor to the Federation, and the Captain of the ship who brought him, didn't have the new uniforms... but the entire crew of this wartorn, edge-of-the-Federation space station did...

Why do I seem to be one of the only ones who thinks the First Contact uniforms replaced the DS9/Voyager uniforms as the fleet's BDUs, while the Class A TNG duty uniform stayed in service throughout?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
probably more likely was slowly phased out.. similarly, the Antares men in "Charlie X" still wore the old Cage/WNMHGB issue even though the 1701 had the black collar colorful uniforms
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were a science probe ship/cargo vessel that had been out for a long-ass time. They were not an Admiral who had just come from Earth to admit a new Federation member.

By your example, it should have been the other way round, with the Admiral and his Captain wearing the new uniforms and Sisko and Co. wearing the older ones.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe. . . ships en route didn't have to change uniform styles until they visited a spacedock or starbase? A starship under way is busy enough without a major change like that. It would be far easier for a deep space station with less than a hundred Starfleet personnel to make the change than some large starship with anything up to a thousand people on board!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Exactly. Plus, with the amount of traffic DS9 was seeing those days, it couldn't have been hard to stick a supply on them.

Of course, this is assuming they are not replicated, in which case, some captains must have just been lazy in getting around to ordering their crews to wear them.

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Why do I seem to be one of the only ones who thinks the First Contact uniforms replaced the DS9/Voyager uniforms as the fleet's BDUs, while the Class A TNG duty uniform stayed in service throughout?

Because, with the sole exception of that bloke from ToTP, we never, ever, ever saw a TNG style uniform in Star Trek since season 6 of DS9? Not any of the Starfleet crews that stopped at DS9. No-one on Earth working to get Voyager home. No-one in the fleet arranged to stop a possible Borg invasion through a transwarp conduit. No-one on a secret hi-tech Starfleet vessel that can split in 3 and appease fanboys. No-one at all.

What reason have you got for thinking that the TNG uniforms stayed in service?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Last but not least, Valtane was a Commander and I really doubt that he would share his quarters with an ensign.

Unless he was in a relationship with said ensign....but that leads to all kinds of chain of command conflicts.

Did I mention FLashback sucked?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Why on Earth were their bunkbeds anyway? The original Enterprise didn't have them. Why would the super, amazingly awesome Excelsior have them?

(Although that's Meyer's fault as well, for putting them on the Ent-A in STVI).

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the movie era's switch to a more military feel.
Pretty stupid though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
Member # 709

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

Unless he was in a relationship with said ensign....but that leads to all kinds of chain of command conflicts.
ewwwwww...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Part of the movie era's switch to a more military feel.
Pretty stupid though.

I'll take the militaristic uniform over the scary body suits anyday.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps