Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bernd: Your inconsistencies section.. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bernd: Your inconsistencies section..
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Valtane

I read somewhere (perhaps here) that any flaws in "Flashback" can be attributed to the nature of the virus in Tuvok's mind - he may have been unconciously combining memories of two different events - Valtane (as evidenced by Star Trek VI) shouldn't have died until later, and by saying "Oh, silly mind-sick Tuvok", you can overcome the inconsistencies as a mingling of memories.

Works for me.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't they mess up his rank, too? I always thought that in ST VI, he was suppossed to be first officer, and the novelisation (based on the script) bears that out. But in "Flashack", he's just a common or garden bridge officer, isn't he?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Rand was always supposed to be the first officer... mainly because she was a more-established character than the random guy at the science station, for story purposes, rather than just a cameo where she got Uhura's job.

"They're Rand and Valtane!
They're Rand and Valtane!
One once got fired..."

*BLAM!*

Uh... nevermind. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* Use yer eyes, people...

Going by Star Trek VI, since "Flashback" is all f-ed up. Lt. j.g. Rand is a Communications Officer, and wears the same Sciences grey as Uhura, Chekov... and Lt. Cmdr. Valtane, who seems to be a Science Officer. I don't think either of them are department heads, but they could be. There were enough other uniform errors in that movie that I don't have any problem imagining they forgot Fletcher's system through II, III, and IV...

In front of Sulu are the Helmsman, Lt. Cmdr. Lojur, and an unnamed Command-division Lieutenant sitting at Navigation (which is wierd -- Navigation is part of the Science division and should be grey). From this there is not enough evidence to determine if one of these is Sulu's XO, or if the First Officer was on another shift entirely, or even simply off the bridge.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it was Christian Slater, he said jocularly. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cute, Lee... Real cute. [Razz]

--Jonah

P.S. That character is one that I'd actually like to see fleshed out in the novels...

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There is precedent. Sisko changed into a TNG style uniform when he went to Earth in "Homecoming".
And in "The Emissary", Dax and Bashir disembark from a science vessel, and wear the normal Class A uniform. Later, they change to the Class B. And IIRC, (almost?) all visiting Starfleet crew wore Class A, while DS9 crew wore Class B.

Question is, why was the entire Voyager crew wearing Class B uniforms? Not too mention the complete uniform chaos in Generations: "Yeah, sure, if it's got some red and some black, it's a command uniform! Computer, generate random uniform!"

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
quote:
There is precedent. Sisko changed into a TNG style uniform when he went to Earth in "Homecoming".
And in "The Emissary", Dax and Bashir disembark from a science vessel, and wear the normal Class A uniform. Later, they change to the Class B. And IIRC, (almost?) all visiting Starfleet crew wore Class A, while DS9 crew wore Class B.

Question is, why was the entire Voyager crew wearing Class B uniforms? Not too mention the complete uniform chaos in Generations: "Yeah, sure, if it's got some red and some black, it's a command uniform! Computer, generate random uniform!"

IIRC Sisko wasn't visiting Earth, he was taking up a new posting at Starfleet security, so his uniform change makes a little more sense.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Has anyone here lived on a military base or served on a vessel where you've got (for simplicity's sake) two uniforms, one to wear when you're in a formal office setting and one to wear for normal grunge duty? I've seen it at work, so I don't have any problem seeing it at work in Trek.

--Jonah

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe, but that doesn't quite seem to make sense with regards to Star Trek. How was Voyager and the Enterprise-D different?

Sisko wasn't given a permenant (cough) position at Starfleet security until after he'd arrived on Earth, so he must have just changed uniforms to look smarter.

Personally, I think that the captain of a ship/starbase/whatever got to chose which of the two uniforms his crew wore. And Picard, being a bit of a stick in the mud, made his crew stick to the more formal wear. At least until Generations, by which point he'd obviously started smoking a lot of dope and probably said, "Yeah, Will, wear whatever you want", completely missing that Will was asking him out. Or something. So some people changed, and some didn't.

But this doesn't really apply to the Bashir-changing issue, because it's obvious to everyone who isn't Peregrinus that the FC uniforms were a replacement for both the class-A and class-B uniforms. Therefore there'd be no reason for him to change into his out-of-date uniform when he had the new one in his closet.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

The Enterprise seemed to be acting in a very flagshippy manner up until Generations. Voyager started out by going into a nasty region of local space to try and dig out Federation renegades who didn't want to be dug out, and then spent the next seven years on their own and constantly getting the stuffing whacked out of them.

I don't find it odd that some higher-profile ships maintained a certain formality while others are entirely shirtsleeve. My closest friend at the last base I lived on was an EMT for the on-base hospital. In the two years I was there, I never saw him on duty in anything other than his BDUs.

I also find it entirely likely that the "fatigues" weren't considered a viable alternative duty uniform until the TNG scrubs gave way to the DS9 style. Nor do I find any problem with Starfleet going through a war and its aftermath in their "get dirty" uniforms. I didn't see a whole lot of class A's in Desert Storm.

In one of my odd moments of inspiration while I was rewriting the Nemesis script, I drafted a brief scene in Picard's quarters where he's putting away his dress uniform jacket, pauses at his old class A jacket, sighs, and says "I'm looking forward to being able to pull this out again...".

--Jonah

P.S. I'd like to apologize for going of of faulty info above. The Excelsior Navigator was a grey-shirted Commander, not a white-shirted Lieutenant. Someone mixed up the actors from Star Trek VI and "Flashback" in the only sites where I could find pics.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best Uniform: Picard's jacketed version from "Darmok".
Leather shoulders and all. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I don't know about best ever, but yes -- really, really nice.

--Jonah

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Re: Valtane

I read somewhere (perhaps here) that any flaws in "Flashback" can be attributed to the nature of the virus in Tuvok's mind - he may have been unconciously combining memories of two different events - Valtane (as evidenced by Star Trek VI) shouldn't have died until later, and by saying "Oh, silly mind-sick Tuvok", you can overcome the inconsistencies as a mingling of memories.

Works for me.

So if we assume Voyager's writers all had some kind of virus, the series will actually be good?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but whenever Picard wore his leather and suede jacket, you just knew he was going to end up stranded on some planet or something.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps