Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bernd: Your inconsistencies section.. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bernd: Your inconsistencies section..
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Therefore there'd be no reason for him to change into his out-of-date uniform when he had the new one in his closet."

He had all his FC-style uniforms in his suitcase and he spilled raktajino all over the one he was wearing. So, rather than unpack, he just pulled out an old uniform.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still stand by my theory, which is that they knew they'd have to provide clothes for him so just nabbed the replicator pattern for his uniform, not knowing it would change before they abducted him.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had a problem with the "Generations" uniforms. When the people soiled their initial shipboard Class As one way or the other, they consistently donned Class Bs (presumably to prepare for another soiling incident, as the Class B does look more "grease-tolerant"). This was less formal than during the run of TNG, but I'd not be surprised if the E-D actually lost flagship status between "AGT.." and "Generations". After which Picard gave a nod, and Riker yelled "Casual friday every day!"...

I don't have a problem with admirals in old uniforms in DS9, either. The top brass can afford the eccentricity. I do have a problem with the captain who accompanied the admiral, though.

And I don't really buy into the idea that the dark final DS9 style would be parallel to the TNG/VOY styles. But I would definitely have wanted to see two distinct types of the dark style. "First Contact" might not have needed two, and DS9 wouldn't have afforded one, but "Insurrection" could certainly have funded the introduction of a Class A version...

As for the problem of who commanded the E-nil for a year prior to the 18 months of refit, I'd simply say "nobody". Starfleet probably goes by the old real-world practice of decommissioning its ships when it idles them for major refitting. And the E-nil simply was decommissioned a year before the actual refit began, thus requiring no captain at all.

And most of those references to Captain Decker in TMP would simply be to "this guy of captain rank" anyway, not to "the ship's formal commanding officer".

Timo Saloniemi

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't have a problem with admirals in old uniforms in DS9, either. The top brass can afford the eccentricity. I do have a problem with the captain who accompanied the admiral, though.

Yeah; ever seen two general/flag/air rank dressed the same?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not in television at least. It's a dramatic convention that each hero wears a different uniform, both for fashion reasons and for identification. Heck, SG-1 ought to be example enough. (And boy, USAF uniforms are ugly! If I had the brass and the clout to dress differently, I'd do it whenever I could.)

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate the SG-1 uniforms. They don't even look like they'd be real USAF issue. But then, what do you give people to wear when crossing through a wormhole to explore strange new worlds and make contact with alien civilisations?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Decker could have been the administrative 'captain' of the E-nil undergoing refit, but was actually having it off stationed on Delta IV. The defacto 'commander' of the ship would probably be the Chief Engineer (Scotty) or some San Fransisco Yard guy.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seeing as there was an actual scene in TMP where Kirk relieves Captain Decker of command of the Enterprise, and the aforementioned line 'he's been with this ship every minute of her refitting,' i don't see why there's need for discussion into the matter
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's apparently some overlap with his later claim of meeting Ilia while he was stationed on Delta IV.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why couldnt he have met her when he was stationed on Delta before he was assigned as captain of the Enterprise.. they don't say when they met do they? hm?
capped
Member # 709

quote:
DECKER
I was stationed on the Lieutenant's
home planet some years ago...

Ilia looks from Kirk back to Decker, puzzled at his
sleeve stripes.

ILIA
(eyes his rank
stripes)
'Commander' Decker?

KIRK
Our Exec and Science Officer...

and she's surprised that he has been demoted to commander..
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for real life uniforms.

I'm in the US Navy. Destroyed a pair of khaki pants this morning moving stuff and switched to working blues (they are really black) for this afternoon. So, it could happen....

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
This was less formal than during the run of TNG, but I'd not be surprised if the E-D actually lost flagship status between "AGT.." and "Generations". After which Picard gave a nod, and Riker yelled "Casual friday every day!"...

Although that is a lovely image (although I shudder to think what dress-down Friday - for that is it's real name - would mean to Worf), it does rather fly in the face of the following:

"They're trying to figure out how a 22 year old Bird Of Prey can be a match for the flagship of the Federation."

(That's from memory, but I think I got the gist).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. I should have remembered that line about Decker being present all the time, presumably even before the actual refitting work on the ship. I could well imagine that Scotty didn't count in the time to disassemble the old ship, and maybe he didn't take part in that out sentimentality.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Timo
Member # 245

The two non-conflict versions vis-a-vis Decker's command here seem to be:

A)

-Capt Kirk commands until 2270, relinquishes the ship to Starfleet, gets a desk job.
-Capt (or perhaps still Cmdr) Decker gets command in 2270, oversees 2.5 years of Enterprise operations which include 18 months of refitting *and an unspecified year of something else*.
-Adm Kirk takes over, demotes and kicks out Decker in 2273.

B)

-Kirk commands until 2270, drops the E to Starfleet and gets a desk job. Ship either has no commanding officer for a year, or has some no-name commanding, or possibly has Scotty commanding. Or then Kirk commands, but doesn't get any "star hours" since the ship is dormant.
-Capt/Cmdr Decker gets the ship in 2271, oversees 18 months of refitting but nothing else.
-Kirk takes over again in 2273.

Whether there is any point in arguing which of these took place is another matter. The original question was about this, though, wasn't it? There is no conflict in any case, but there is ambiguity.

The third possible variant is the one where much more than 2.5 years transpire between TOS and TMP. Add a second five-year mission, or some other adventures, as you please.

Also, I stand corrected on the E-D flagship status. We have to think of another excuse for the dress-down Friday.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps