Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Odo's Cardassian Friend (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Odo's Cardassian Friend
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Improbable Cause", Odo has a meeting with a contact in the Cardassian government. In the episode, we aren't told who he is, although we get the feeling that the two use each other to keep up to date on events on DS9/Bajor and on Cardassia, respectively. We know that the Cardassian knew Odo when he was doing the "Cardassian neck trick" and that he has had cosmetic surgery, changing his appearance.

My question: I had the vague recollection of seeing this guy (or at the very least, Odo meeting with a Cardassian in a cave in similar instances) on more than one occasion.

Did I remember incorrectly?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall that it happened at least twice.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall he was given a name much later and declared to be dead. A Weyoun showed up in his place, at the cave, when Odo was trying to meet this mysterious Gul for some information. He told Odo that the man had a shuttle accident. At least, I always assumed that Weyoun was referring to that particular Cardassian contact of Odo's.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he was Garak's gay lover from his days on Terok Nor? [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was Gul Russol. And yes, he was killed by the Dominion, according to Weyoun 6.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The actor who played the "Informant" was only that character in that one episode, however since he was not seen the role could have passed on to someone else quite easily. Otherwise I have seen no evidence that this "Informant" appeared anywehre else in teh series, other than possibly being mentioned Russol. The whole thing seems peculiar because that scene in "Improbable Cause" seemed somewhat out of place, at least it did to me at the time, because we were being treated to some mysterious character out of nowhere.

As for Russol, all that was said about him in "Treachery, FAith and the Great River" was that he was killed by the Dominion a year prior, no specifics were given as far as I can see.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the whole point in "Treachery" was that they used the exact same cave set and lighting as they did in "Improbable Cause." Odo risked traveling into a war zone in a damn runabout to meet this guy... obviously he's important -- just as important as suggested in "Improbable Cause."

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they ever name the Cardassian operative in "Change of Heart" that Worf and Jadzia were supposed to pull out of Dominion territory? That episode takes place roughly a year before "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" and the Cardassian spy was killed trying to sneak back onto a Dominion base because Worf chose to save Jadzia and never met him at the rendezvous. Could he be the same Cardassian spy that used to meet Odo in the cave? It would explain how they got in contact with him in the first place, it was through Odo.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it had been the same person, and if they had gotten in touch with Starfleet through Odo, then Odo would've known he was dead and would've had no reason to try and meet him in "Treachery".

I think they did name the man trying to escape, but I don't remember who it was.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odo probably helped (discreetly) many Cardassians during the Occupation.
And, as Odo told Worf, "I'm a man that collects my debts". [Big Grin]
Smart bucket of goo isint he?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
If it had been the same person, and if they had gotten in touch with Starfleet through Odo, then Odo would've known he was dead and would've had no reason to try and meet him in "Treachery".

I think they did name the man trying to escape, but I don't remember who it was.

It was Gul, or was it Glinn?, Lasaran.
Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that eighty-sixes that little pet theory quite nicely doesn't it?

Thanks for the tip. [Wink]

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

The Cardassian informant from "Change of Heart" was Glinn Lasarin. (Pretty sure of the spelling.)

And Odo specifically thought that Gul Russol had been killed back when the Dominion first took over Cardassia, which happened over a year before "Change of Heart."

Of course it's open to interpretation, but I still think that the simple use of the identical cave setting (including the lighting/atmosphere) meant that it was supposed to be the same gentleman from "Improbable Cause" that Odo was meeting.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it probably was too. But that cave set was used several times in DS9 for several different locations. It may have even made an appearance in TNG and/or Voyager.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly, that set has stood in for more locations than Stargate's forest...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps