Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » DS9's "Armageddon Game" - Alpha or Gamma?

Author Topic: DS9's "Armageddon Game" - Alpha or Gamma?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may seem like a rather trivial question, but it seems that I've been making a false assumption for almost ten years now!

Were the events in the T'Lani System from "Armageddon Game" supposed to have taken place in the Alpha Quadrant, or in the Gamma Quadrant? For some reason, I'd always assumed that it was the latter.

But I just watched a rerun that I'd had taped a couple of days ago, and they never made a mention of the Gamma Quadrant that I noticed. Furthermore, they even had O'Brien and Bashir comm the station via subspace -- and this was long before they set up that relay station to send messages through the wormhole. Unless you're going to dismiss it as a gaffe by the writers, that means that this was happening in the AQ.

Does anyone know of any sources which might've indicated one way or the other?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always considered the T'Lani world to be in either the Beta or Alpha quadrant.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with that is, well, why would they ask for Bashir and O'Brien? If they were in the Gamma, it can be explained as maybe the result of some negotiations that the station crew got started due to being ultra super knowledgable about the GQ, but the AQ? Send a normal starship. Which they should do in the GQ, but rarely seemed to. So there.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cardassian's withdrawl and the end of their civil war probably led to establishing ties between the T'Lanni and the Federation.

If it was in thee GQ, they'd have harped on it (what with it being a First Contact and all that).
Sisko and gang seemed familliar with the T'Lanni/Kelleran as a race and sure didint treat them as a "new" species they's encountered.

Mabye T'Lanni Prime (was that the planet's name?) was effectivly blocked off by crdassian annexed space during the occupation.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam's right, though... why wouldn't they have sent a full starship if it were in the AQ?

Though OTOH... considering how paranoid the T'Lani and Kellerun were, would they really have trusted a powerful alien race they'd just met to help them?

It just occurred to me that, since the T's & K's were probably planning to kill off their scientists from the very start, that when they requested help from the Federation, they probably said something like, "we could use some help from some of your doctors and scientists, but don't send more than two in a small and defenseless ship. We really need to have our Harvesters destroyed, but it's not so urgent that you send a fully armed starship or anything like that. No, sir!"

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

If they'd requested a small defensless ship, starflet would have sent an Oberth. [Wink]

The plan to whack the scientists might have been a spur of the moment thing: they seemed suprised the Harvesters were actually wiped out so quick.

It's just as likely that starfleet sent word to Sisko (DS9 being closest to the newly peaceful T'Lani space) to make freindly contact with the new unified government.
Sisko pawned off the assignment on his over-eager junior officer and sent O'Brien along to watch out for him.
Bashier learns of an intresting biological virus, cheerfully voluenters himself and O'Brien to help and showhorns himself into the T/K plans to eliminate the Harvesters and scientists.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially early in the run, DS9 is billed as being super-far away from everything, and sort of ignored by Starfleet. It's pretty routine for DS9 that the nearest starship is days away (until the Klingon and Dominion wars, at least). If the T'lanni are located near Bajor, and they request immediate help (and what they need help with isn't, shall we say, the most personnel-demanding), why not just have Starfleet Command contact DS9 and say "Look, we don't want to waste the Honshue's gas budget for the month, just send a runabout eh?"
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got annoyed that they brought the relative distance to the Federation closer. Although in Way of the Warrior - it was still established as being quite far away from Fed space. AND Klingon space.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A quick check of Star Charts turns up nothing. Looks like Geoff Mandel didn't weigh in on this particular question.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps