Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Nemesis at the box-office (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Nemesis at the box-office
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just over at boxofficemojo.com and I thought I'd have a look at the Trek films... I didn't realise that Nemesis only made 43 mil - the lowest of ALL of them - even TFF made 52 mil. The rest were about 70 mil, FC was ~90 mil and TVH was 100+ mil.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Further evidence that Trek needs a hiatus.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Further evidence Paramount were morons to release Nemesis three days before Two Towers.
They'd have done better waiting a few weeks (at least in the US).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to beat the now long-dead horse again, but a hiatus won't solve anything if the people who are currently helming Trek don't, uh, move on to greener pastures themselves.
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Nem, so did my wife. We saw it three times.

Each time there were less than 10 people in the theater. However, TTT was showing on 3 screens, and the line for that movie was around the building.

Everyone I've talked that's seen Nem liked it, but there are very few of them. Everyone went to see TTT, and quite a few of my friends didn't even know there was another Trek movie out!

Hmmmm....

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it too. Went to see it a second time, and there were two people in the cinema - including me. I think it's safe to say I went in there with much more of an open mind than some of our membership here. It's not without its problems, but the tings that got others here so enraged - B4, the Romulans - didn't bother me too much.

Ultimately though, I am pissed off. Because John Logan read my mind and stole my idea! I knew I should never have removed my tinfoil hat to wash my hair!

Only kidding. Let me explain. . . After DS9 ended, I was idly pondering how they could make a movie continuing the story. I came up with a basic premise that would reunite the crew - I'll go into that in more detail if anyone cares - and even a reason to bring Sisko (and Odo!) back - but not Worf, I thought I'd leave him as a NextGenner again - and a baddie, and a threat, and a MacGuffin.

My idea essentially involved a rogue sect from that race who came through the wormhole thinking Bajor was their promised land (I forget their name). This bunch, including your standard nutty leader played by some biggish-name actor, get hold of some unused Dominion technology, pretty much the Trek version of a neutron bomb that would kill people but leave everything else untouched. I even had it being used against a ship - The USS Emissary, the first ship built by now-UFP member Bajor.

Sound familiar in any way at all? The reason I didn't take it any further (the middle act needed more work, but I had a beginning and an ending, and I couldn't decide whether the Emissary should be a new class or an existing one), say as a fanfic or a spec script, was because I thought it reminded me too much of the Babylon 5-Crusade linker A Call to Arms. After Vorlon, Shadow and Species 8742 planetkillers, I though SF had had enough planetkillers for a while. So I forgot about it until I read the leaked script and thought "Hmm. . ."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Nemesis and I went into it with an open mind and, sorry to disagree with those who enjoyed it, but frankly I thought it was a paint-by-numbers action flick with about as much depth as my flatscreen monitor. The characterization was flat, and the story logic was weak weak weak. There was potential there, but they took the wrong turns at virtually every point.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they ended it the wrong way, with Data dying and all the sad scenes following. It felt like the whole "fellowship" of the TNG-cast had broken, and I sat there with the remnant of them.

It made me feel like I was the only one in the world left that actually cared what happened in the "Next Generation"-universe, what with the damn Scott Bakula and all.

It's like when you rise from the table to give an honest goodbye-speech to friends who won't see you again for ten years (you're going on an expedition or something) and suddenly some other guy bursts in the room and everybody's tripping to greet him, leaving you (Nemesis) to exit through the kitchen entrance, unseen and unheard.
Then you slip on the sidewalk and get a bird in the face, killing you instantly (Data).

In my opinion they could just as well have waited with Nemesis until summer 2004, that'd get everyone's attention.

Oh, wait, "Episode III: JSLP", gotcha.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Nemesis when I first went to watch. Since, I've gotten the DVD, I've had a chance to watch it and think about it. A lot of the stuff in the movie I would have done differently (whether it was have been an improvement or make it worse we'll never know).

I agree with Nim, though. I know that this is the final Next Generation movie, but I do feel kind of dissatisfied with how the characters broke up and left. I'm not sure how this could have been done differently. The ending of The Wrath of Khan was good, and many elements of Nemesis tried to echo it but failed (in particular because Khan only dealt with the loss of one character while Nemesis had to deal with a loss and everyone else jetting off somewhere new).

As for the poor performance at the box office: who really knows? I think the marketing campaign for it was good enough; I saw the ads all the freakin' time. While it's easy to say that The Two Towers took a lot of the attention away from Nemesis, I'm not totally convinced that that is the main (or even really the only) reason for the poor showing.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main reason is timing. Released too close to The Two Towers, either before or after that movie. And during the growing staleness of Trek. Within the past year, there really no was great time to release the movie keeping in mind of trying to get the biggest audience as possible. A few months later would have been The Matrix Reloaded (even though it was heavily criticized). The summer had T3. A few months after there was The Matrix Revolutions (also heavily criticized). After that was Master and Commander and recently The Cat in the Hat and Elf(though really catering to children) and finally Cold Mountain.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nemesis had about as much marketing as First Contact, IMHO, so that isn't the answer.

My take? Simple fan apathy. Let's face it - the only people who are going to see a Star Trek movie are fans of Star Trek and those fans' husbands, wives, boyfriends or girlfriends (mostly wives & girlfriends). So when you have quite a few fans who were pissed-off and apathetic even before this movie came out, its not hard to determine what went wrong.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the fact that Patrick Stewart chucked a hissy-fit that the fans didn't like it was silly. It's only because he and Spiner stuck their whole fists into the writing 'pie'.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patrick Stewart chucked a hissy-fit? I don't remember hearing about that.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Nemesis had about as much marketing as First Contact, IMHO, so that isn't the answer.

BUt First Contact didint show us EVERY cool moment of the movie either: I recall that the movie trailer foe FC didint even show the Enterprise E: just stock footage of the D blowing up from Generations and all the Borg scenes were from Picard's little "rollercoaseter" nightmare.

Nemesis' commercials nad trailers showed the Ennterpris ramming the Scimitar AND Data's jump through space: the two moments that should have defined the movie were blown months before we ever saw the film.
Dumb marketing.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pitting sub-standard Science Fiction fare like the Nemesis against, say, fan-favorite populist pieces like the Matrices and the Terminator and the Rings of Yore films, would result in a large percent of available filmgoermoney being diverted to help those causes.

"After that was Master and Commander and recently The Cat in the Hat and Elf(though really catering to children) and finally Cold Mountain."

Pitting sub-standard Science Fiction fare like the Nemesis against wildy genre divergent films like the sub-standard Master and Commander and Elf, and perhaps against critical ivory-tower snooze fest Cold Mountain would probably not have affected moviegoerrevenuemoneys for Nemesis all that much, the three beforementioned films being a triumverate of movie money making mastery.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.