Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek VI SE (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Star Trek VI SE
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got it at Best Buy for $14.99 + tax.

Will post more once I've actually looked it, but so far I've just got the first disc in the player. The Menu is the Klingon courtroom.

Disc 1 had a cool pic of Spacedock on it. Disc 2, inexplicably, has an unside down image of the Enterprise B of it...go figure.

Looking forward the the Nick Meyer & screenwriter Denny Martin Flynn. I found Meyer's commentary track on TWOK SE one of the best things about that disc.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to hunt all over Best Buy for it today ... they hadn't put it on the shelves, found it on their cart pushed into the computer system. While I was there, took advantage of their offer and picked up Futurama Season One for $20.

Screw the Akira, I want a Planet Express starship!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Federationmodels.com sells a very nice model version.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I watched the film and the extras. Here's my quick rundown:

FILM. This is essentially the version we've seen for years, including the extra scenes not in the original theatrical release (Operation Retrieve, Spock, Scotty and Valeris in the torpedo bay, the revelation that the "Klingon" assassin is Colonet West).

If you compare this film to the previous Trek SEs you'll notice the size of the letterbox bars is smaller. This is due to the format Meyer shot on, which is a slightly different aspect ratio to the other films.

Meyer did do a few small edits, though. The ones I noticed are:
1. Added a wide shot of the officer's mess at the start of the scene where Scotty discovers the uniforms.
2. In the scene where Kirk asks Valeris for the names of the conspiritors, a few closeups of Kirk and McCoy replace wider shots in the previous edits.
3. During the mindmeld, each time a conspiritor's name is given, a flash cut of them appears with a slight music sting.

That's all I noticed the first time through.

Commentary While better than most, it's not quite as good as the one on TWOK. It's more conversational between Meyer and writer Denny Martin Flynn. Not as much meat on the creative choices as on the TWOK commentary.

Extras
Again, better than most, but never the stuff you want.
--The Perils of Peacemaking mini documentary
--Six little featurettes under the topic Movie Making.
--Various odds and ends of moderate interest under the subject of The Star Trek Universe
--A Farewell, including a tribute to the late De Kelly and interviews made with the cast at the time of the shooting
--Promotional materials that consist of two trailers and a 1991 convention presentation by Nick Meyer
--Archives containing a set of production still and some storyboards

And a few comments on some of the above...
--The tribute to DeForest Kelly was nice, pointing our just how much work he did before Star Trekt hat most fans are totally unaware of.
--The Perils of Peacemaking -- in which the film's story is compared and contrasted with real world events -- was an interesting ideas, but I wish there'd been less about the film itself and more about the parallels. They could easily have included film clips to illustrate where a lot of the lines were borrowed from.
--Penny's Toybox. A neat look into the archives to see some of the surviving props from the film.
--Storyboards. What's with these effects guys who can't draw the Enterprise correctly? Fer Pete's sake, it's easy to draw (if you have any artistic ability)!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
--Storyboards. What's with these effects guys who can't draw the Enterprise correctly? Fer Pete's sake, it's easy to draw (if you have any artistic ability)!

For Example:

-

-

-

And what's worse was the USS Excelsior:

-

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's the obvious question of "Why should they?"
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly... its just storyboards.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Well, there's the obvious question of "Why should they?"

Because a) it gives a better idea of what the shot would actually look like if you draw the ship correctly, and b) considering the amount of "invented detail" on these drawings it's not like they're trying to hurry up and cheat it.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the way it's always been done. In film school, I was taught the point of the storyboards is just to get an idea of where the camera's supposed to be, to get better ideas about compostition and movement than just the script. Thye're not MEANT to be detailed - instead, you hand it over to the FX guys and trust THEM to make the shot work properly.

It's not like drawing detailed drawings of Shatner or Nimoy talking would help any; again, it's the responsibility of the production crew to deliver on the basic idea. These days, it's a lot easier to create CGI storyboards, and even then they use only the most basic CG models that barely even keep the general shape.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
This is the way it's always been done. In film school, I was taught the point of the storyboards is just to get an idea of where the camera's supposed to be, to get better ideas about compostition and movement than just the script. Thye're not MEANT to be detailed - instead, you hand it over to the FX guys and trust THEM to make the shot work properly.

I'm quite aware of that. I was mostly kidding about the crappy Enterprise drawings, because, frankly, any competent sketch artist should be able to draw any Enterprise more or less accurately in less than a minute (hell, I can rough one out in 15 seconds). It's not exactly an intricate shape! [Big Grin]

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Just got it at Best Buy for $14.99 + tax.

Wow. I got mine for $13.99 Canadian at Future Shop! Wow, what would that be in American dollars? About $9 or $10 bucks?

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$11.98 for me at Costco. The list price is indeed $14.99, which is cheaper than any other Trek DVD thus far. (Typically they have been between $20.00 and $25.00) I think the reason for the lower price is there was no insert included with the discs.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

You know, I forgot about this, but when I glanced in the Star Trek VI screenplay tonight I was reminded that the script DID address what is a blooper in the film: that the Excelsior is cataloguing gaseous anomolies, but then Uhura makes reference to the equipment for same.

41 INT. R DECK CORRIDOR

leaving the Enterprise Science Labs...

GORKON
Your research laboratory is most
impressive...

KIRK
Starfleet's been charting and
cataloging planetary atmospheres.
All vessels are equipped with
chemical analytic sensors...

GORKON
This cannot be easy for you,
Captain...
(off the look)
I would feel awkward if I had to
give you a tour of OUR vessel...

The man's courtesy makes Kirk feel guilty...

KIRK
Would you care to go topside?

CHANG
Very much.

CHEKOV
(pulling Kirk aside)
Captain, you're not going to show
them the bridge??

KIRK
(clenched teeth)
Full diplomatic courtesy, Mr.
Chekov...

The party passes Uhura and a YOUNGER CREWMAN.
YOUNGER CREWMAN
Would you want your daughter to
marry one?

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

BLIND PRESIDENT

One of the things I didn't get watching Star Trek VI in the past is that the President of the Federation is supposed to be blind. This is revealed inthe commentary track. They explain that he puts on these weird glasses to look at the Operation Retreive charts in order to actually see them (a VISOR of sorts?). If you watch his performance carefully, you'll notice he doesn't really make eye contact with anyone. And at the end of the movie -- after Kirk tackles him -- you can sort of tell he's supposed to be blind by the way he moves when Kirk leaves him.

In the commentary I wish they'd discussed why they made that choice for the character.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably for the same reason that "24" has a black president. To be progressive.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps