Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Novel Recommendations? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Novel Recommendations?
MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading through old General Trek threads, and several of them have mentioned recent Star Trek novels, particularly some sort of post-DS9 series (?). I've been out of circulation for a long time now--I think the last Trek novel I read was A. C. Crispin's Sarek--and I'm not sure where to begin. Can anyone recommend some titles to start with?

Marian

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you're thinking of is the DS9 relaunch. It started with Avatar, a two-parter, and was continued with a Section 31 novel and a Gateways novel, both of those being book series that weave in and out of the various series. Then there was a four-part Mission Gamma arc, Rising Son, and finally Unity. I think they're also continuing the series after that, not sure. The first five were rather good, unable to get my hands on the others quite yet.

Then there's the New Frontier series, by Peter David. Very good stuff. It's based around a new crew, though some have appeared on screen before and others were in a prior Peter David book. David finally got off his ass and wrote a couple more, after leaving us hanging for two years. There are now twenty or so in that series, including a Double Helix, a Gateways, a Captain's Table, and an anthology of short stories. Your best bet there is to get the latest novel, "Stone and Anvil". It has a CD with all the books but the latest three. With that, all you need is "Gods Above", "Stone and Anvil", and "No Limits", the anthology.

And the Millenium DS9 trilogy was interesting, if only for sheer out-there-ness. It was also badly named, but who cares about that? Immortal Coil is about the only standalone Trek I've read in recent years, and it wasn't all that bad. I've also heard good things about the Kahn novels, but I haven't read those. Trek novels have improved in quality of late. You want to talk to Topher.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 relaunch stuff is all amazing and is all stuff we'd like to actually see the characters do.
The books are well thought out and characters dead-on.

The New Frontier stuff was good for the first three books (although that first story arc's ending was idiotic at best) nad their Captain's Table edition was one of the very best but the series itself was become so farfetched that Santa Claus saves the ship and crew.
No kidding.....that's bad.

At least three of the "Lost Era" books have been great: "The Art of The Impossible" and "Serpents among the Stars" were both worth reading.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
At least three of the "Lost Era" books have been great: "The Art of The Impossible" and "Serpents among the Stars" were both worth reading.

I take it "Lost Era" is something different than the old "Lost Years" books, that were about the gap between TOS and TMP?

Marian

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah....the "Lost Era" is everything between STVI and the start of TNG.

Many things that have been briefly mentioned (like the conflict between the Klingons nad Cardassians over the Brekta Nebula) are explored in detail.
Elias Vaugn (a key character from the DS9 relaunch novels) plays a central role in two of the books as well.
Some of the novels span a few decades in the course f their story nad you dont have to read them all to understanfd what's going on: there's no connection between novels (a plus).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a couple pre-Relaunch DS9 books, as well, that I say incorporate into your reading schedule, as not only are they good, but the events in them get referred to in the later books. These would be "The Battle of Betazed", "A Stitch in Time", and "The Many Lives of Dax".

Also, there seems to be a pretty mixed reaction to the Voyager Relaunch books, but I like the two that they've published so far ("Homecoming" and "Farther Shore").

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
These would be "The Battle of Betazed", "A Stitch in Time", and "The Many Lives of Dax
Actually "The Lives of Dax" was rereleased as a Reluanch title in a mass market paperback edition. Also there are is "The Left hand of Destiny" Duology books about Martok which feature a few DS9 characters.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What gets me is the trend towards publishing Star Trek novels in classy trade paperback form, complete with trendy literary fiction cover design (look, half a face, out of focus!). It is, like, weird and stuff.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh Vol 1 & 2 are pretty good books that I recommend you read.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, what a difficult task to choose between Star Trek novels! They are all special in their own ways. Randomly select any from the shelf at your local bookstore establishment, and I trust you, you will not be disappointed! The nearly limitless, indistinct selection lends itself well to become a grab bag of Trekking pleasure.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but the series itself was become so farfetched that Santa Claus saves the ship and crew

That's a mischaracterization. It'd be like saying if Flynn or Flint or whoever from TOS that was really a bunch of different historical figures saved the ship, the ship was saved by a nobody soldier from Mesopotamia.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought "Vendetta" was a nice TNG book.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
but the series itself was become so farfetched that Santa Claus saves the ship and crew

That's a mischaracterization. It'd be like saying if Flynn or Flint or whoever from TOS that was really a bunch of different historical figures saved the ship, the ship was saved by a nobody soldier from Mesopotamia.

Mabye I was a bit extreme, but things like the helmsman being allowed to pass his shift with his eyes closed apearing to be asleep is okay in those same books....it's far beyond the suspension of disbelief we're used to in a trek novel.
If it had happened onscreen, we'd all be calling for the writer's head on a plate.
Most of the New Frontier ends up reading like "what if Douglas Adams tried to write trek".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that sounds excellent. Unless you meant to finish that thought with "except not funny".
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the being dead part doesn't help any.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.