Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Bring Kirk Back" trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Bring Kirk Back" trailer
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
clicky

I really wasn't expecting much when I downloaded this thing last night, but the picture on the creator's download page left me wondering. It's great that they love Trek so much do make something like this, but I found it to be nothing more than the best waste of 17MB I've ever downloaded. It was made in all seriousness, but just a look at the trailer image pretty much sums up what to expect--everyone's head on 3D bodies. I wasn't planning on it, but I couldn't help laughing my ass off while watching the thing. The characters look silly, and the audio clips from different sources put together to make basic conversations was hilarious.

These are more or less direct quotes from the trailer:

Kirk: Captain, we've tracked you since the beginning of your mission.
Archer: What is it?
Kirk: It is a time portal.
Archer: 24th century.
Kirk: Go there with me.

Kirk: Come with me.
Spock: Go with me.
Sisko: I can't go back. Not just yet!
Sisko: I'll be there!

McCoy: I'm a doctor, not a mathematician.
McCoy: Okay.
Spock: Go with me.

[Eek!]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this at subspace comms and people were raving about it.

I found it terrible.
It's well executed for the production values available to it's creators, but it's just a horribly fanboy abomination.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm, from a work ethic point of view, this took a crazy amount of work to gather all the footage and splice all the dialogue. For a fan made production, the graphics actually looked like they were grabbed from a relatively recent commercially available (and modded) computer game....til about halfway through.

That said, the idea is just crap.
Its amusing that the horrid writing of Enterprise actually mitigates it somehow. i.e. "Enterprise is so full of plot holes and bad writing, that we might as well use more of the same to bring back Kirk"

I won't go into detail, because its just not worth it, but no one gimmick, or one actor can revive Star Trek.

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed with Jason; I can't venture my opinion at SCN because I'd get torn apart, but I couldn't bear to watch this for more than a few minutes...

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Just what the "fuck" is this fanboy obsession with bringing back Kirk? I don't get it.

-MMoM [Confused]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
That is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Just what the "fuck" is this fanboy obsession with bringing back Kirk? I don't get it.

-MMoM [Confused]

well for all it's faults and if you can forget the "bring him back" portion of the viewing, you have to give him/them SOME credit for having the balls to even make that movie. I, for one was impressed, even beyond the portions of the dialog that i wanted to say "cheese-fuck"...

certainly more ship fighting action i enjoyed, for sure. it is too bad he never thought of using the skin designs used the 24 century "what-if" Conny class used in SFC3 games... with the phaser strips and red bussard collectors on the nassels...

that would have made a better concept of returning a retire hull back to work...

all in all, a impressive work, weird as it is...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit of cheese. But i must applaud the effort.
Apostle
Member # 1267

- posted      Profile for Apostle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The effort is tremendous, no doubt.

However, I am enjoying Enterprise currently, and their ideas are laughable.

--------------------
Webmaster,
Trekreview.com

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ignore*

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mildly amusing, i suppose; they evidently have far too much time on their hands though.
Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manticore:
Agreed with Jason; I can't venture my opinion at SCN because I'd get torn apart, but I couldn't bear to watch this for more than a few minutes...

I said it had absolutely nothing in the way of a plot over at SCN and no one bit my head off about it.

I give it credit for what it is, fans putting a great deal of effort into a web movie because they love Star Trek. Good for them. Bad fanfilm unfortunately, but at least they made an effort.

As a real movie concept (fleshed out obviously) it would fail miserably because it is basically just gimmick based. How do we get every major character from all the Trek TV series on screen at once!!! That's a poor premise on which to base a movie.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They put a lot of effort into something that I frankly could not enjoy. But from a lot of the SCNers reactions, it's like it's the second coming.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah crap.

Shatner Says He Has Return Idea

--------------------

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

I can't help but be amused by this:

RELATED STORIES
William Shatner expects to return to full-time television
Fans take new approach to Bring Back Kirk
William Shatner says that Star Trek is finally coming to an end
William Shatner says he's serious about new series concept

Excited about new series concept, then thinks it's dying, then the fanboys want him, then he gets back on TV and now wants to bring Kirk back. Oh boy.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check your calender. B)
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps