Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Making of Star Trek (and TMP) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Making of Star Trek (and TMP)
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Browsing on eBay and Amazon turned up at least four different editions of "The Making of Star Trek". Does anyone know what the differences are in publisher/date?

#1:
 -
#2:
 -
#3:
 -
#4:
 -

And regarding "The Making of TMP", it apparently is a rather rare-ish book. Is it an interesting book?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#1 is the latest re-issue, I picked it up at my local Barnes & Noble. The book was first published by Ballantine in 1968.

I'm fairly certian that all those variations are just older printings with different covers. Same stuff inside.

"Making of TMP" is pretty rare these days. Don't have that one...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#3 is labeled with "25th anniversary", wich would make it 1991. Whoever came up with that cover must have been smoking.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That font is so... round... and bubbly... Makes me feel stoned.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Making of TMP is a litle too much a fluff piece, but there's some interesting stuff in there. It's especially amusing, knowing how troubled the production was, that there's virtually no hint of this in the book. Nowhere near as a good a read as the making of book for Superman The Movie.

[ April 09, 2004, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: MrNeutron ]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:

That logo was the "official" one in the early 70s, and was used on FJ's works and the Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual, et al.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Apparently, #2 is a 1974 reprint. That leaves #4, wich (at only 95 cents) might possibly be the first edition?

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Most logical. [Wink]

--------------------

robb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have still a copy of the #2 version of "The Making of Star Trek", that I purchased back in the 70s. I also have a book called "The World of Star Trek" as well as "The Trouble with Tribbles" (the making-of, behind-the-scenes book), both purchsed in the 70s. I'll probably hold on to them all forever.

It's funny, back then it was hard to find things like that. Now, it's all just a mouse click away.

--Robb

IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

What a coincidence. I've just bought those exact 3 books from eBay!

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Apparently, #2 is a 1974 reprint. That leaves #4, wich (at only 95 cents) might possibly be the first edition?

What does it say on the Copyright page? That will usually tell you what edition it is. My copy's page reads...

Copyright � 1968 by Stephen E. Whitfield

All rights reserved

SBN 345-23401-4-150

First U.S. Printing: September 1968
Second U.S. Printing: Decemeber 1968
Third U.S. Printing: January 1969
Fourth U.S. Printing: April, 1969
Fifth U.S. Printing: July, 1970
Sixth U.S. Printing: November, 1970
Seventh U.S. Printing: June, 1971
Eighth U.S. Printing: February, 1972
Ninth U.S. Printing: August, 1972
Tenth U.S. Printing: May, 1973
Eleventh U.S. Printing: January, 1974
Twelfth U.S. Printing: May, 1974

So my copy would appear to be a twelfth edition.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure that "edition" and "printing" are the same thing. Doesn't "edition" imply that something was changed, and "printing" just means they printed a bunch, sold them all, and so they printed another batch?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:

That logo was the "official" one in the early 70s, and was used on FJ's works and the Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual, et al.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

If FJ was stoned, I could mabye forgive him for the silly Saladin/ Hermes scout kitbash.

Mabye.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if FJ was stoned, i'd lend him more credence than i usually do, which is plenty already

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I'm not sure that "edition" and "printing" are the same thing. Doesn't "edition" imply that something was changed, and "printing" just means they printed a bunch, sold them all, and so they printed another batch?

In this circumstance, the Making of Star Trelk was first published in ANY edition in 1968. To my knowledge there have never been any content changes. Looking inside the cover should tell you when it was printed. If it wasn't September, 1968, it's not a first printing.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps