Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Space, the colorful frontier (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Space, the colorful frontier
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, watching these early DS9 episodes I've noticed that the backgrounds during the space scenes [especially in the Gamma quadrant] have colors, red and blue, in the form of gaseous clouds.

I never noticed it before, in fact I seem to remember that it was a major complaint that Trek didn't have those backgrounds... it usually comes up revolving around B5.

I'm confused.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought B5 was FAR too colorful for the shear vastness of space involved.

On DS9, the Idran system (on the gamma side of the wormhole) may have some nebula remnants flowating around to give it some color, I suppose.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I always thought B5 was FAR too colorful for the shear vastness of space involved.

How does one shear a vastness? With pinking shears?

Sheer lunacy, such shearing would be!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly.
Now go run with shears.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple Deep Space Nine had beautiful effects and remarkable production values.

OMG how sad it is that there is no more of the sets like Ops, or the Promenade.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I always thought B5 was FAR too colorful for the shear vastness of space involved."

You thought wrong, then, since many of B5's backgrounds were actual Hubble photographs.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

You mean those digitally altered, color enhanced for contrast Hubble photographs.

Reeeeeal realistic.

Some of Hubble's photos go so far as to change X-Ray information into visible colors.

It's cool to look at but not really how something would appear to the naked eye.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, DUH. OF COURSE those photographs were digitally altered. They had to extend them in 3D for purposes of camera movement. And yeah, they also enhanced the colors a bit. What WERE those idiots thinking? Didn't they know that improving the contrast and visibility of a background image of deep space destroys ALL realism in a scene?

Jesus.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well, then....

Wouldn't the colors also be sheer? I mean, if you can see stars through them and all....

If the only color is on planets we live in a bland universe....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
Yes, well, then....

Wouldn't the colors also be sheer? I mean, if you can see stars through them and all....

If the only color is on planets we live in a bland universe....

I think the only thing sheer around here is your underwear...oh, Good morning! [Big Grin]

(This morning rush hour taunting is brought to you by me! Funding for a better tommorrow! Me! Not associated with Me! Inc. or ME Acme Heavy Industries)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Well, DUH. OF COURSE those photographs were digitally altered. They had to extend them in 3D for purposes of camera movement. And yeah, they also enhanced the colors a bit. What WERE those idiots thinking? Didn't they know that improving the contrast and visibility of a background image of deep space destroys ALL realism in a scene?

Jesus.

You miss the point: it was speculated that those were accurate colors and DS9 was "major complaint that Trek didn't have those backgrounds".

Look at our own solar system: there's no bright shiney nebula everywhere you look.
Unless all those pics from the Voyager spaceprobe are just pointed in the wrong direction. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you looked at those Hubble pictures under the visible spectrum, you'd normally see the stars. All the nebulaic clouds and gasses? For the most part, they're only seen in spectra of light that the human eye can't normally see. Hubble records images in those spectra and then NASA / JPL / whoever modifies them so we can see them.

You know infrared goggles? They take light in infrared waves that we can't see, and promotes their wavelengths electronically to something we can. Same thing with space telescopes and IR / NIR / UV / X spectra, among things.

That said, the B5 backgrounds were almost exclusively those pictures taken directly from the modified images you caan purchase or that have been released to the public domain, and barely altered them at all. Made the B5 universe look like the Electric Light Parade to me. [Razz] Trek backgrounds, when they got around to doing them, are IMO uniformly better suited to the general colour palette of the given show.

Mark <--- masters degree in satellite imagery systems

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I always thought B5 was FAR too colorful for the shear vastness of space involved."

"You thought wrong, then, since many of B5's backgrounds were actual Hubble photographs."

The point isn't that such nebulae don't exist. The point is that you'll only run into them from time to time. Most of the time when you fly around in space, all you're going to see is black with little points of light.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely you're also going to see a big strip of blue stretching across the place? I''ve been really, really, really out in the countryside, and the rest of the Milky Way does show up as a great big...blue thing.

If you're in space, with no light polution, aren't you going to see the colourful stuff from extreme distances?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

"The point is that you'll only run into them from time to time."

Well, they didn't show them in every episode. Most were used as backdrops for fleet battles, of which there weren't all that many.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.