Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek 10 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek 10
grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, i have to admit, ure right. Star Trek 5 did have its good parts. Well, actually, good part. Kirk standing below a Klingon bird of prey, aiming its disrtuptors at him. U here the disruptors charging, about to fire, kirk is about to die. Tres cool, until....they beam kirk aboard instead of killing him .

------------------
"How many people does it
take before it becomes
wrong? 6,000? 60,000?
How many people does it
take admiral!?!" -Ambassador
Picard during his command
of the Enterprise-E in the
Ba'ku incident.

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It did have nice music.

Ahh dunno, Trek 10. First, new composer. Give Goldsmith a break. Bring back Horner. Or the bloke who did Trek 6. THAT was good, dark music (if a bit Holst's planets). Hmm, possibly Romulans. Better if it could somehow involve both Roms AND Klingons. And maybe the Cardie's as well. For the general public, one extremely well known race, one vaguely known, and one with cool make-up.

And have maybe one or two Ds9 characters in it.
We don't need to worry about Worf. With the end of DS9, he might have a job free.

Keep Frakes. Hes good, cheap, and saves money for SFX.
Bring back ILM.
Have Data's emotion chip
DON't have him doing any more cheesy jokes.
Put the actors on a diet this time before filming. Geordie is beginning to fill Scotty's legendary boots. And tunic.

And aboce all else, haev at least one of those moments. Oneof 'young, I feel young'. Or 'we are here to pay final respects to our honoured dead' or 'For hates sake, I sipt my last breath at thee' (spot a pattern?)

And don't go with Star Trek: Beta for the Romulans. I think the entire world has pretty much agreed that all the maps are wrong, and everyones in the alpha quadrant. Or the Klingons just keep forgetting where they live...

------------------
'It's okay to only know three chords but God, put them in the right order'
-Hank Hill

Chimaera
Ex-Member

Agreed, Trek 5 did have its moments (my favourite: "what does god need with a starship?").

Composer of the soundtrack for 6 was Cliff Eidelman (I have the CD). As for the soundtrack for #10, well, I'd like to see John Williams write it, but I know it isn't probably going to happen, I hear he's a little busy now Same goes for ILM, they do a lot of great work, and they're doing a ton of it right now, which is the problem, they will be quite preoccupied for a long time to come.

The story is the key, I think. Somebody needs to come up with a brilliant story. Not to say the stories so far have been bad, they've been pretty good. But when I say brilliant story, I mean EPIC, I mean suspense, I mean spanning a quadrant, the federation, with elaborate scenes and SFX to back it up. Something with a big battle royale near the end, perhaps, to flex the muscle of the CGI. Something that could last for three hours, and you'd feel like it had only been five minutes. That's the key.

P.S.: And get those cheapskates at Paramount to front the big bucks for a movie done right the first time.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What does God need w/ a starship?" is the second-best part of ST5. The best was "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons." :-)

------------------
"About as useful as a narcoleptic rickshaw driver."
-James Lileks

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Star Trek: Enough

------------------
What do you mean I'm not kind. Just not you're kind.
--Dave Mustaine
"Peace Sells"
MEGADETH

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right.
grb .... great intro but ENOUGH with Troi. That line has gotten so old in the course of the series that I think we can all PREDICT when Troi is going to "Feel" something.

ST5: Well, and all the odd ones have been sorta different than the even ones. But I remember standing in line for hours on opening night, and wanting my money back later. However, there WERE good parts about it.

Hmmm.... the next movie .... well, I think we need some DS9 characters in there for sure. O'brian, for instance, has never gotten enough credit and needs some, because I think he's an excellent character. And what about Sisko?.. I would like to see him and Picard work together. That might be interesting.
If we're going to bring the cardies into a movie (and I think this is valid since they're the "hot" topic these days) Garak is a must have....
The Romulans have been done. Borg has VERY been done. Klingons have been done. Q I think would be interesting, but it's hard to write a plot based on omnipotent beings that will be valid and cover longer than an hour.
Riker is always good in a movie.... Data's jokes were cute in 8, but in 9 got to be a bit much. Worf is great, and of course we need Geordi.
THE DOCTOR NEEDS A BIGGER PART. Beverly has taken a back-burner for three movies now. Gates McFadden is a good actress and this talent is going to absolute WASTE. I'd also like to see what happend to Ensign Roe (well I know she joined the Maquis, but still, her character was cool).
And I know we all hate Wesley ... but he took off with that time guy and never returned, leaving a plot hole open wide enough for a definite movie return.
As a matter of fact, it would be fun for him to come back and get slapped in the face a few times.
Anyways ..... there's what I think.

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a Matter of fact ....

How about
Star Trek: Maquis ??

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?

Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To sort of go back to the corrupt Federation or something of that nature, how about something that weakens the alliances with some key alpha quadrant players like the Klingons or Romulans.

Well, the more I think about that, the more it sounds like TNG has already covered that.

Idea 2: Some sort of movie with a "war" style. I think they left the Enterprise action out in Insurrection. Perhaps a return to a First Contact type, except not the Borg. Perhaps the Dominion and Cardassians. Something with more action in it, yet still retains the deeper plot like in Insurrection. Plus, it will be even numbered, so it can't suck. =)

------------------
There's a lady who knows, all that glitters is gold...and she's buying a stairway to heaven. -Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

grb
Ex-Member

This would probaably be the last TNG movie, so it should include what the adventures of the enterprise are all about. The advntures are about peace and exploration. Therefore, i think the next movie has to be about soomething new, something that has been found for exploration. This thing, whatever it is, might have some type have effect that threatens peace, and so it must be stopped so that peace should resume. Star Trek is also about people, snetient beings who are working to gehter for the common good. But what is "good"? What defines it? Therefore, I think that there should also be a threat coming from ourselves, a threat that can only be stopped by tolerance, respect, and compromise as to what is "good." What might this type of story include? What would the plot be all about? i have no idea....

------------------
"How many people does it
take before it becomes
wrong? 6,000? 60,000?
How many people does it
take admiral!?!" -Ambassador
Picard during his command
of the Enterprise-E in the
Ba'ku incident.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Maquis are dead, remember?

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK firstly, Star Trek 5 - you all know i got the widescreen boxed set for Chrissie, I really Do think that Star Trek 5 is an underrated movie, and that it probably lacks because of the sorta 'no climax ending' but I do think the god thing is pretty spooky, especially when Kirk is by himself running away, and you can here it moaning and fizzting around Kirk, i've they maybe added a bit more to this seen - it would have done a whole lot more to the movie - THEN having the Klingons of all people helping kirk, sort of a mirror Star Trek 3...

The music, after getting the soundtrack is simply wonderful, simply wonderful, it is something that doesn't quite hit you the first time, but later you sit there, and go 'wow'

Some tidbits about Trek 5 - basically William Shatner shot about 2 and a half hours for this film but Harve Bennett cut about 20 mins out including a Sulu and Chekov hiking scene at Mt. Rushmore...

I would have like to see a bit more of that 20 mins, also as some of you know there was the rock monsters that didn't work in the end - so maybe some of this twenty minutes would replace some of the tension at the end of the film, and go towards adding to Sybok's reasonings, his takeover of the ship and possible, making the barrier crossover not as 'quick'

This really is a good, film, and really well done to William, he did provide a wonderful to the whole movie, quite distinctive if you take it and compare it to the rest of the movies...

I just wish they would go and get all the missing footage from all the movies and rerelease them on video for example...

the enormous amounts missing from TMP - its supposedly adds to the whole 'what this movie is about' more illia more sulu/uhura/chekov/chapel more Spock's mind meld with Vejur

We all know about all the editions of TWOK

there was also a Sulu getting his own ship part, where apparently William shatner kept mucking up his lines to make it unusable...

TSFS supposedly has more Genesis parts.

TVH was supposed to have a scene as some of you know where Sulu meets his great grandfather, but the little boy who was supposed to play the part wouldn't act no matter what once the camera's started rolling

TFF as above

TUC supposedly also has cut film according to Michael Dorn - a very Enormous and extravagent parade of all the races at Khitomer. We also know about the Colonel West situation - which has been edited back in.

phew!

ok also, about a Star Trek 10, I feel maybe a DS9 movie now is better than ever, especially with The Star Wars movies being around for a while, basically Star Wars is a movie for all the family to see, with creatures and the such, whereas DS9 could take advantage of its darker, more adult feel and push a trek movie to new boundaries, there is the core audience that would always go to a trek movie, and basically it could be like say Cube, be released in a more limited fashion - have more action, darker feel etc... bascially like what David Lynch couldn't do with Twin Peaks when it was on television - but what he could do with Fire Walk With Me, yes even though this movie didn't do too well at all... I think that has a lot to do, with not a lot of people 'getting it' but we aren't talking about Twin Peaks we are talking about Trek, and I think now is the best time for a full on effects master piece - a Deep Space Nine MOVIE

heh heh thats enough of my preaching there - I'm sure most of you niners out there would agree with me though.

Andrew

gee that was a long post!

heh heh well some times you just can type and type!

Andrew

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a litte bit more, basically I feel for a new TNG movie, that a bigger Troi/Crusher element is needed - I really mean that - Why not a plot that would bring Troi to the forefront a la The Face of the Enemy, but of course there still would be the stars Picard and Spiner

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skimming everything, I say: Yet another reason for member status to be based on words used, not numebr of posts.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that STX should deal with the return of something in the series.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps