Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Times Seven (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Times Seven
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other posts had me thinking the whole temporal implications of Gary Seven and the Xindi/Daniels arcs. TOS era had records of events that indicated Seven's interference, yet no mention is made of the race that sent him. Seven apparently had other "incidents" to his credit. So, if these aliens were trying to help Earth, then why didn't they stop the Xindi? Also, what did the Starfleet/Timefleet dudes do to this outsider meddling? Could the Seven-time-aliens and the Xindi-time-aliens be one and the same?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two hundred years between Gary's Earth and the Xindi attack is a long time. That's plenty of time Gary's homeys to stop whatever they were doing for political, cultural, or technical reasons. Perhaps, once Earth was advanced enough on its own, the aliens let them be.

As for the whole Xindi-TCW connection, it's superfluous at best. The Xindi influence was primarily trans-dimensional, not temporal; the various things Daniels was showing up to pester Archer about had to do mostly with the rest of the TCW, not the Xindi plot. I interpret this as Daniels shepherding Archer to keep making the correct decisions, influencing him to stay the course for his ultimate confrontation with the not-Remans at the top of this season.

Daniels HAD to keep bugging Archer, because his own previous TCW meddling kept annoying Archer into possibly making different decisions that would alter his timeline. This in turn was promted by the other factions vying to change the timelines for their embetterment. I see the Xindi Guardians as elements or pawns of some other TCW faction, not a faction themselves.

So despite dialogue to the contrary, when Daniels sent Archer back to present-day Earth to thwart those reptilitans, it was possibly because some faction in the TCW (FutureGuy?) had influenced the Xindi influencers into influencing the Xindi to destroy Earth in the past. Or something.

Time travel. Tricky business. Unpredictable.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember right Gary Seven was not just sent spatially but back in time as well. I always had the impression that he was sent back several hundred years.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye Daniels is Gary Seven.
After scoping out Terri Garr in her prime, Daniels altered his appearance (easy to do in the future) and went back in time to tap that primo aincent-Earth booty.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is always the problem with advanced watcher/helper types, isn't it? How come Superhero X can't save us from the latest war/meteorite/rocket attack/nostalgia-driven fashion?

There's no suggestion that Gary Seven traveled in time, anyway, that I recall.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Gary Seven sent to prevent World War III? If World War III happened, I think his supporter's mission had failed.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he's there to help out Earth, or so he claimed, but he didn't really get specific about it.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might be thinking of stuff said in the Eugenics Wars books then, I haven't seen Assignment: Earth in awhile, so I don't know whats from on-screen or not.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I mean, he certainly acts in such a way as to prevent such a war. . . well, not a war, but us launching a weapon that. . . wait a minute, surely we have the right to launch whatever weaponry we please, nosey aliens be damned. I never voted for Gary Seven.
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary Seven said he was a human being of the 20th Century; he just wasn't raised on Earth. Scotty was the source of the time travel quote. The beam was so powerful it fused the transporter's circuits, so there was no way to be certain exactly where (or even when) he had beamed from.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought that Coto should have revealed that FutureGuy was Gary Seven. It would've been right in line with his other cool TOS connections, and it wouldn't have been too much of a stretch, since FG seemed to have been working for the benefit of the heroes all along, albeit in not-so-obvious ways. The actor who plays him even looks like Robert Lansing, too! [Eek!]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Does he now? I'll have to kidnap him.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he's passable, anyway...

James Horan
Robert Lansing

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Thumbs down to that idea.

(Well, in my opinion.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly.
Besides, it would be sooo much eaasier to kidnap the real Robert Lansing.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps