Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Best Job Blowing up a Set? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Job Blowing up a Set?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about blowing stuff up the other day, and it got me thinking - Trek RARELY blows up its regular sets. Mostly due to budgetary concerns, they at most make the set LOOK blown up, exploding consoles instead of walls, etc. But in your estimation, what is the BEST example of Trek blowing a regular set up, and then having it better later on?

I'll start us off with my thoughts on a better example, Azati Prime. In it, the Enterprise bridge (and NO other set, I might add) is seriously blown up. I think that they did a great job scorching up the set, replacing set pieces with destroyed equivalents, etc. Dramatically, when the big circular thing above Mayweather's head dropped down, it was a notable highlight. And the icing on the cake? The bridge STAYED blowed up for the rest of the season!

Runner up? For me, probably the Reliant. Lots of stuff thrown around there, wires spiling out, giant pieces of hull falling on people... Awesome. And of course, they patch it all up later to shoot as the Enterprise. [Smile]

And as a BAD example of how to blow up a set, I'd have to say the loss of teh Enterprise-D. I just wasn't convinced that so strong a ship would just sort of spontaneously fall apart like that. Basically, all they did was toss all the chairs around, removed the wall between the ready room and the bridge, and add a whole bunch of debris. Meh.

You?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll disagree with you on the destruction of the E-D bridge. I will be the first to say that Generations isn't a strong movie and the first to be pissed that they blew up the E-D without just cause. But the actual sequence of the saucer entering the atmosphere and landing is phenomenal, with the tearing up of the set going notably beyond what we had ever seen before.

Otherwise, I'm forced to give a nod to another non-favorite and say Voyager in "Year of Hell." The work they do, not only to the bridge, but all over, is superb.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the destruction of the E-D, they pretty much had free reign on destroying the set as they weren't going to use it again.

As for a favourite set destruction, I'm not really sure. The times mentioned above are certainly up there. I found the Defiant bridge destruction was rather poignant, even though the whole destruction of the Defiant was rather pointless.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the whole loss of the E-D was a joke. A lousy BOP w/ some codes can knock out the flagship of the Federation? Even in UC, the BOP attacking both the Enterprise & Excelsior didn't have that much power.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, see, as far as set design goes, it wasn't much, but I thought the sabotage of Ops in "A Call to Arms" was very dramatic. That had more to do with the weird camera angles they filmed the aftermath in, though, I think.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also liked the "call to arms" sabotage- even the motors in the airlocks were offline.

Makes me wonder what modifications the Dominion made to the station and what technological impovments the Dominion might have made to stuff like the weapons array (Rom and Kira's taking the weapons offline would have preserved most of what was there).

The Death of the Enterprise D sucked so badly because we saw only a minimal shot of the secondary hull blowing up- compare that with the protracted destruction of the A nad you feel kinda jipped.
Plus the whole "re-use" of the exact scene from STVI of the KBOP blowing up sucked ass. Everyone I saw the movie with caught it and was annoyed.

While not Trek (though Partick Stewart is in it), the best alltime set/model destruction scene is in Lifeforce. They constructed an exact model of London over a six month period and blew it to hell over four days of shooting.
Did not make the movie good though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YoH was good - whish there wasn't a reset button - but oh well.

Generations was good too. It was rather poignient when they look up to the open dome above.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Plus the whole "re-use" of the exact scene from STVI of the KBOP blowing up sucked ass. Everyone I saw the movie with caught it and was annoyed.

Of course, if that's what they had to do in order to save enough money to show the Enterprise-D crashing, then it was worth it. I just don't get people who think they did it because it was "lazy".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye not "lazy" but definitely cheap.
I mean fuck, it's TNG's first movie and has all this hype and they first blow any suprise by showing the ship crash in the fucking trailer and then dont even have sense to even reverse the film of the KBOP's explosion so its not identical to the climax of the last fucking movie!

The dark lighting all through the Enterprise is annoying as hell too- it's not like they had to save on lightbulbs.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate watching any movie trailers now just for that reason - they practically give away the whole movie plot before you even see it!

I can't decide on the best one, but I can think of the worst (from memory, at least). That would be the Enterprise in STII. Kirk says "the bridge is smashed", but from what I can remember, all that they did was dim the lights, pump in some smoke, and singe one panel near the turbolift. Didn't look very smashed to me.

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Kirk WAS bluffing. He was doing it to insult Khan's intelligence, etc.

Hmm... Blowing up the Valiant bridge was a fair attempt, knocking Watters AND his chair off their perch. Much of the aft of that bridge was pretty well destroyed, actually - so well that they even reused that shot amongst the droves of stock footage in the DS9 series finale. Too bad the forward end wasn't as impressive, being all exploding consoles and cadets.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, duh. Trek films do not have the biggest budgets. This was the producers thinking "if we save money by reusing the nice explosion fromt the last film, we can put it elsewhere". Not "let's cut money and spend it on Jags for ourselves."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would anyone spend the money on overpriced British cars that are half-n-half cars.

Half the time in your garage, half the time in your mechanic's garage.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never realised it but the title to this thread is just RIPE for a spoonerism!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:

Well, duh. Trek films do not have the biggest budgets. This was the producers thinking "if we save money by reusing the nice explosion fromt the last film, we can put it elsewhere". Not "let's cut money and spend it on Jags for ourselves."
Well, it could very well have led to Whoopi GOldberg buying herself a Jag...

Really, I'd have been happy with any other KBOP explosion- I know they shot that STVI scene from several angles to get it to look "right", you'd have thought one of those would have been useable enough to spare us the stock footage treatment.

Meh. I was far more annoyed that they showed the Enterprise crashing in the trailer- during the movie I kept saying to myself "it's okay: they'll do the whole "Nexus timetravel bit to save the ship".

But they didn't.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps