Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TNG 1st season casting (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: TNG 1st season casting
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first season of TNG always seemed like a big anomaly to me in regards to casting. Geordi was driving the ship half the time and in engineering the other half, Worf seemed like a redundant person because we had Tasha Yar, and there wasn't a regular chief engineer. Even with TOS as our only standard to compare it against at the time, it still seemed strange. Does anyone know if there was a reason for all of this?

B.J.

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe originally Gene felt engineering would be less important in a ship this futuristic (think Ian M Banks or Revelation Space, the ships take care of themselves). At one point in the early season, it's stated that the first officer looks after engineering.
However they soon brought in a concept of chief engineer (I think they had 2 in the first season), and gave it to a lead character to make it more important later.
Worf originally was to be a background character (think Leslie), but his popularity kept him on the bridge. Even in TOS they occasionally had different characters at key posts when the main were off shift, where TNG seemed to keep the main characters on the bridge, except when that week involved killing the conn officer.

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worf was only supposed to be an O'brien at first. Little more than a talking extra to add a bit of new age, we-made-peace-with-them coolness to the bridge. After all, it was hinted at that the Kligons had actually joined the Federation by season 1 of TNG (dumb idea).

I don't remember alot of instances of Geordi being in Engineering during Season 1, but it was probably due to the fact that they needed someone doing dialogue, and something for Geordi to do. I doesn't seem like a whole lot mroe thought than "Hey, let's have a blind guy steering" went into his character at first, though some interesting things with his friendship with Riker were established in the pilot, not really to be touched on in the future.

They did have a chief engineer during season 1... actually they went through several of them. Riker must have kept making people mad or something. They went through 1) Lady Mole Face in "The Naked Now", who apparently died as a result of complications during cosmetic surgery, 2) Commander Argyle in "Where No One Has Gone Before" who was probably relieved for having a stereotypically Scottish name, having a beard, and being fat, 3) Lt. Asshole who tried to take command from Geordi in "The Arsenal of Freedom", and 4) Leland T. Lytch, from "Skin of Evil". 3 and 4 may be the same, but I think they were different, and I may have forgotten someone. It does seem odd that such an important post wasn't cast with a regular.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall reading that there weren't, originally, any scenes in Engineering in "Encounter at Farpoint," until someone suggested that, if they didn't build the set for the pilot, it would probably never be built, and thus a scene or two was put in. So it makes sense that there wasn't any main character assigned to it at first.

(I think this anecdote is in the TNG technical manual, and I encourage anyone whose copy proves more easily findable than mine to go check.)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol,

I recall that at as well.

Tricky,

I think you might be misremembering something. As XO, it was Riker's job to look after the operation of every department aboard ship, but I don't think he had a particular interest in Engineering (although he did get called down there a few times).

Aban,

Argyle *also* appeared in "Datelore" -- rumor is he wasn't brought back because he was campaigning at conventions for more guest-spots and an expanded role in the series (otherwise Geordi might've stayed on the bridge in the second season) -- and the asshole CEO from "Arsenal of Freedom" was Lt. Logan (who probably got the boot for his actions against LaForge).

Also, he was "Leland T. Lynch" (not Lytch).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was Roddenberry himself who wanted the Engineering set built and used.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the story about Engineering being added in so the set would be built too. Don't remember if it was in the TM, though. Either that, or one of the Art books.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

tricky
Member # 1402

I seem to remember a scene in the transport room with Picard and Riker (without beard) meeting someone who'd just beamed in, in which Riker stated the first officer was responsible for engineering, or words to that effect. Could of sworn it was the "Where one has gone before" epp,
Maybe its the senility kicking in...

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also remember the anecdote about getting the engineering set built. I don't have the TM, but I do have the art books, so maybe it's in there (or possibly the Encyclopedia or the Chronology, since I have those)? Unfortunately, they're at home right now, and I'm not.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

The statement regarding Riker's oversight of the engines, not Engineering, is from WNOHGB. A combadgeless Kozinski and his mystery rank insignia were throwing a fit about Picard not being there to drool over his awesomeness. It seems that a captain should care about his ship's engines. Riker said Picard did care, which is why he had given general oversight of them to his first officer. Basically, as stated before, every department on the ship reported directly to Riker, including Engineering.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

tricky
Member # 1402

found the script

KOSINSKI
A ship's engines should be a
concern of the ship's captain...

RIKER
They are, sir. Which is why they
make their first officers directly
responsible for engine condition
and performance.
(indicating Argyle)
Guided, of course, by one of our
chief engineers, Lieutenant Commander
Argyle in this case.

Me wrong and senile, you right and .... not senile

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Though that script snipet brings up another interesting point that I had forgetton... Argyle was not apparently the chief engineer. He was one of them. Perhaps Lady Mole Face was sill the actual Chief Chief Engineer.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps he was in control of Engineering for that shift... and that goes for all the other "Chief Engineers" of the season except Logan who probably did replace McDougal who in turn got replaced by Lynch.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
I also remember the anecdote about getting the engineering set built. I don't have the TM, but I do have the art books, so maybe it's in there (or possibly the Encyclopedia or the Chronology, since I have those)? Unfortunately, they're at home right now, and I'm not.

B.J.

Most probably the TNG Companion/Compendium

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it was an on-going joke to have a new Chief Engineer?

What about the retard-esque Japanese Engineering guy in "The Naked Now" - hanging out with Wesley and pulling out all the chips.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps