Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star trek new voyages (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star trek new voyages
Pwesty
Member # 1035

- posted      Profile for Pwesty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys
I was just watching some clips from the fan based show Star trek new voyages and I was wondering something. Has anybody ever heard how Paramount fells about these fan-based internet show that are popping up these days, has there ever been a possablity that Paramount has tried to shut them down for doing what they are doing? I have also heard that Takei and Koenig are going to do some of these shows up in future show......anybody know for sure.
Just wondering;-)

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pwesty:
Hi Guys
I was just watching some clips from the fan based show Star trek new voyages and I was wondering something. Has anybody ever heard how Paramount fells about these fan-based internet show that are popping up these days, has there ever been a possablity that Paramount has tried to shut them down for doing what they are doing? I have also heard that Takei and Koenig are going to do some of these shows up in future show......anybody know for sure.
Just wondering;-)

well simple minded me and the concept of property (and Propialty Rights... not sure i spelt it correctly but i think you have heard the term on FOX News at least) means simply, i can't bitch if you don't make a cent off it or belittle it somehow (A mocumentory as opposed to a montage, if you will).

That stated, i'm certain all three well known fanfilm makers, Hidden Frontier, New Voyages and Starship Exeter are well covered and protected legally within the law. Especially if actual ST staff are involved. I know ive seen blurbs of such on STNV's material (Non-Profit).

NOW, for two other aspects of fanfilms, Star Trek: Intrepid & [Big Grin] Star Wreck, the rules might work.... or not since both fanfilm makers are euro based... and just looking at SW, i know they are flicking boggers at Paramount....

but what the fuck do i know? i watch Macross Zero, DYRL, 7 and Plus religiously so you know my stance on the ENT-A verse Isamu's YF-19A w/SAP... [Cool]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paramount can tell them to stop whenever they want, but they likely realise that they'll get bad publicity if they do so.
Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a bit of legal wiggle-room, as you can often parody copyrights legally, so the very low budget productions could claim that, but even that is very thin ground, as it�s ongoing, an attempting to be as close to Trek as it can. I would hope that Paramount would consider it flattering, and not again try to attack the fan base� I think it�s a nice edition to the non-canon universe.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shakaar:
There is a bit of legal wiggle-room, as you can often parody copyrights legally, so the very low budget productions could claim that, but even that is very thin ground, as it�s ongoing, an attempting to be as close to Trek as it can. I would hope that Paramount would consider it flattering, and not again try to attack the fan base� I think it�s a nice edition to the non-canon universe.

when you get offical help, as some of those fanfilm makers ARE getting, how Non-cannon is it? [Smile]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Completely.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the key thing here is that none of these people are actively making money off of the franchise, or at least not to the point where anyone is living off of it to any degree. All these guys are freely downloadable, and will never br sold to TV or DVD. I think Paramount is happy enough these days to leave that be.

Plus, SOMEONE has to keep the torch lit until they execs get their thumbs out of their asses and retool Trek into something we can watch again...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't a lot of these fanworks fairly unwatchable themselves, though?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Completely.
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, check this new miniseries that was directed by Tim Russ. Finished shooting on Oct 1

http://www.startrekofgodsandmen.com/

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's with the Enterprise's paint scheme, it looks like a bottle of Red Stripe. Hurray Beer!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why, I do believe that was Garrett Wang in that there trailer (probably not the first time that's been said).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan Ruck is also in the film, playing the part of captain John Harriman. I guess the captain of the Enterprise-B will have a chance to prove that he doesn't suck. [Smile]
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. The guy that played Ambassador Soval is also in there (not sure if he's playing Soval here). And some 7 of 9 clone too.

And... NCC-1701-M ?!??

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the Klingon is H.G.

Is Pavel sitting in front of a console again?

I still think anything from Cawley should be canonized.

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps