Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The return of "You're The Admiral!"--Dorza Sector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The return of "You're The Admiral!"--Dorza Sector
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Mark's permission, I've decided to restart the YTA threads here. As before, you will assume the role of a Starfleet rear admiral in a specified era and given authority over a sector of space with orders to demonstrate and enforce Federation policy as best you can. To do this, you'll be asked to first assemble, and then utilize a fleet according to circumstances. However, I intend for my versions to be less shippy and more policy, so keep that in mind as you play. Also, if MM wants to redo the maps as he's done in the past, I'm all shiny with that, too. or anyone else....but I'll probably always start with a handdrawn one.

For each map, assume that:

• Each sector is approximately 20 cubic ly. At warp nine, a starship will take approximately five days to traverse a side.
  • Each circle represents a main-sequence star with little interesting about it unless noted.
  • Each planet is in a star system, and except where noted is class-M. Circle sizes are not relevant.
  • Blue circles denote Federation-affiliated systems and installations.
  • Red circles denote quarantined systems.
  • Green circles denote systems of interest.
  • Yellow circles denote stars that may have planets but are lacking M-class worlds.
  • Purple circles denote stars that have at least one M-class world.
  • The space in the adjoining sectors is essentially devoid of anything interesting or valuable. Borders extend in staight lines beyond that which is noted.
  • Unless noted, all inhabited planets are occupied by humanoid species with a variety of bumpy heads.

Our new playground shall be the Dorza Sector, as seen here:

(text link for the anti-inline crowd)

Timeframe: 2379, shortly post-Nemesis

The following represents the pre-assignment briefing info packet:

• The Dorza sector lies in Beta Quadrant near to Gorn space & slightly "below" the Klingons.

• The Dorza system consists of an A1 primary with 8 planets, classed Y, B, N, O, M, K, J, and J, from closest to outermost orbit. There is a wide asteroid belt between planets 6 and 7. The J-class giants also sport two L-class moons (planet 6) and one K-class moon (planet 7). The class-Y world has a very close orbit.

• Dorza V is a Federation affiliate world similar to Bajor in status. The only world with sentient life, they were discovered 80 years ago and have since worked well with the Federation, developing the resources and colonizing the other planets of their system as well as one or two of the other stars in the sector. Full membership status has been hampered, however, by the nature of the Dorzan government: a pediocracy. Dorzan citizens are able to become involved at 5 standard years, the age of physical maturity. By the time they reach 40 standard years of age, the citizens are stripped of title, rank, and power and although are consulted by the ruling party, are no longer allowed a say in the decision-making process. While the youthful drive of this form of society has driven them valiantly towards the future, the Dorzan refusal to enact equality has stagnated their drive for full UFP acceptance. This focus on youth has also hampered Starfleet relations with the government, as the Dorzans lend little credibility to more aged flag officers. This is the primary reason for your assignment here, as you are one of the younger admirals available.

• The green circle on the map represents the Semma system. Semma is a F4 primary with 5 worlds classed E, F, G, M, and D, from closest to outermost orbit. The fifth planet is in such a far orbit that it appears to be a small captured rogue moon. Semma is of interest to Federation science as it is noth only one of the rare worlds where two independent species have evolved, but also that neither of them are humanoid. The Sh'sh'l are a race of communal sentient plants evolved from the massive forests and plains that cover 89% of their world. The other race, the Zznjlii, are hive-mentality insectoids. The two species have a symbiotic nature roughly analogous to Earth insects and plants; indeed, the Zznjlii hold a necessary role in Sh'sh'l reproduction, while the Sh'sh'l secrete an enzyme needed by the Zznjlii for survival. Although the world his warp capability, they very rarely leave the planet Contact with Semma IV occurred some 25 years earlier. Initial first contact with the planet went well until one of the starship's botanists unknowingly descrated a Sh'sh'l holy site. Since then, no direct contact has been made with the world and no off-worlder has set foot on the planet. All requests by the Science Council for joint studies have been politely rebuffed.

• The red circles on the map represent a pre-warp civilization known by xenoanthropologists as the Zemch. The homeworld is noted on the map and 3 nearby systems have been reserved in Federation trusteeship for their eventual usage. Information on the Zemch is sparse, although they are known to possess a technological and social level equal to earth circa 2025. Estimates put Zemch warpflight capacity withing the next 35 to 50 years.

• Starbase 403 is a free-floating station approximate one light-year from Dorza. It is the major Federation hub for the sector and is a setting for Dorzan relations as with the Gorn, who have come through on "show the flag" missions, and occasionally the Klingons, who had a larger presence during the Dominion War. SB 403 is also the homeport of the sole standing vessel for the area, USS Runnymede (NCC-15017), an aging Miranda under the command of Captain Sarah Henschel. Captain Henschel is well-known and well-liked by the Dorzans due to her young age and astute command abilities. She is also full aware of the situation on Semma IV and considers sustained contact with the races there to be a driving goal.

QUESTION ONE (three parts)

• Analyze and evaluate the sector, determine what Starfleet's priorities should be, and in what order they are to be addressed. Note any gaps in the information provided and where to focus your intelligence-gathering.

• Runnymede is the only standing ship in the sector. Starfleet has authorized you to requistion a total of no more than twelve (12) vessels to build a standing fleet. There can be no more than one large explorer-type vessel (Ambassador, Nebula, etc) in your fleet. Starfleet would prefer that you not use any since those types are needed for deeprange missions elsewhere, but Operations is willing to consider a request for one if well justified. The fleet must contain at least one non-combatant vessel type. Explain and justify the primary and secondary missions (if any) for each ship.

• The previous sector commander, Rear Admiral Ong, was 84 years old, not happy about his treatment by the Dorzans, and has left his replacement--you--a note about how dangerous the people can be. In it he cites the potential of "youth run amok" and the Dorzan nature of "advancement for advancement's sake." He also mentions an increased interest in the other races in the sector by the Dorzan government but that he had no time before reassignment to investigate. How do you take this missive? Explain any actions you may or may not take.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's with you and the "pediocracy" creepiness?

I say, make up a reason to invade Dorza, infect the riuling committe with that rapid-ageing virus from TOS to show them what being old is really like, then give them the cure in exchange for radical political reforms and a nice beachside villa.

But I'm American and possibly a member of Section 31.

I might also question how a planet full of five-year-olds have not been enslaved by the Klingons, Romulans or Aunt May.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that's not a valid answer. re-examine previous sessions, please.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, this'll be fun. There are no recognizeable government forms, and only one native humanoid species to worry about at the outset. I anticipate lots of cultural clashes in this sector as the scenario progresses. Well done!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet priorities should be on Semma. Convince the Sh'sh'l that the Federation meant no offence. If that fails talk to the Zznjlii and maybe they'll convince the Sh'sh'l to chill.

No real space threat in the area so no need for more ships other that the miranda to just patrol the area.

Convince the Dorzan that by respecting the rights of elder Dorzans, they are advancing the progress of their species since an older Dorzan with experience is just brimming with ideas that will better the homeworld.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo, hey! It's been a while since I got to stretch my strategic mind like this... *cracks knuckles* But when will Mark finish Sector Gamma, dammit?! (Ahem.) [Razz]

(1) As in previous sectors, Starfleet's priorities are as follows:
* First, to maintain interstellar peace and diplomacy between the various races.
* Second, to defend Federation members and allies from foreign threats.
* Third, to foster development of "younger" races in peaceful and equitable ways, under the guidelines of the Prime Directive.
* Finally, to explore unknown space and uncharted worlds, to make peaceful contact with new and young civilizations, and to enhance the knowledge of the Federation in general.

Intelligence needs:
* Status of the "purple" systems. They've got class-M worlds, but are they inhabited by sentient life? If not, and if they're not claimed by any powers, then they should be charted for possible colonization.
* What's the status of Federation relations with the Gorn Hegemony? How far away are they from Dorza Sector? What were they doing during the Dominion War? This will in large part shape my answers for the second question...
* Technological and military capabilities of the Dorzans. How advanced are they, what kind of military do they currently field, and what's their industrial capacity for building more armaments?
* Just how far away is the Klingon Empire, and what kind of interest (if any) do they have in this sector?
* I heard rumblings about some amazing new tactical technology brought back by Captain Janeway of the USS Voyager a couple of years ago; my fleet (currently in some bizarre form of stasis out in Sector Gamma) was due to receive a shipment of this top-secret technology. However, the shipment was intercepted by a strange starship of apparent Starfleet design that emerged from a temporal rift, beamed the cargo away, and disappeared. The only clue to the origin of the vessel was a brief message from its commander: "VOYAGER GO BOOM!" Starfleet Intelligence hasn't returned my calls on the matter. Does Fleet Admiral Shik have any updates?

(2) Twelve ships? For this puny out-of-the-way sector? Has Starfleet gone mad?! I'm going to need six, maybe eight at most; even that would be an incredibly extravagant deployment in my opinion.

* 1 Akira-class heavy cruiser; my flagship. Packs just as much punch as a Nebula, but not as crew- or resource-intensive.
* 2 Nova-class surveyors; research and science vessels. For long-range surveillance of Semma IV, the Zemch, and the three habitable star systems in the sector.
* 3 Saber-class light cruisers; patrol and defensive wing. Should hostilities break out, they will link up with the Akira to repel the intruders. Four starships should be perfectly adequate for defensive operations during peacetime.

So the Runnymede is an old Miranda, eh? I thought Starfleet was in the process of phasing out those old rustbuckets after their valiant service as little more than manned, flying human shields for the heavy guns of the fleet. Obviously we're a low-priority sector, but I'd like to see if we can requisition a newer ship for Captain Henschel and her crew. Something like a Norway-class cruiser, perhaps.

Just to fill out the diversity of the fleet, I'll take an Istanbul-class heavy transport for colony, cargo, and relief services should an emergency arise, plus a wing of 12 Peregrine-class tactical fighters for defense of SB403 or other emergencies where small ships will come in handy. (For the sake of argument, let's say a fighter wing is equivalent � in terms of operational capabilities and support requirements � to a small starship.)

Pending the results of my initial intelligence inquiries concerning the status of the Gorn, Klingons, and the Dorzans (see below), I'd like to reserve the option for some extra assets; preferably an Intrepid-class fast cruiser for troubleshooting and a pair of Defiant-class destroyers for heavy offensive power.

(Proposed deployment map forthcoming.)

(3) Well, if these guys are physically fully mature by age five, there's certainly an incredible potential for expansion into the galaxy for this culture, on a scale not seen since Humanity entered the galactic scene two hundred years ago. The Dorzans certainly bear watching, of course, but I'd need something more than a vague note left on my desk to consider anything actionable. I won't do anything more than extend my initial intelligence gathering (I must be inheriting one of the laziest adjutants in the entire fleet, considering all the holes in the available data!) to include the Dorzans and get the general feel for their society, their physical, military, and industrial capabilities, and their personal and political ambitions. Anything more would be paranoia and counterproductive for building a lasting, peaceful relationship.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Member # 343

Mars Needs Women, please state your answers in more defined terms. MM's example is good to go one, & there are links to the other sessions above.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

To answer MM's questions:

• Purple systems have at leats one M-class world with no sentient life. Consider them colonization-rated planets.

• The Gorn say hi occasionally. Other than that.....

• Technological and military capabilities of the Dorzans can be assumed to be at the level of Bajor circa 2372 (S4 DS9).

• If you're asking if this is a border sector, no it is not. The Klingons might come through under the Free Space Agreement, but past that....

• All I have to say on the matter is the oficial line: "If A leads to B...& B leads to C...." Er, I mean "There is no new technology."

Also, please note: no MORE than 12 ships. Could be 8, could be 4, could be 1. Up to you.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All I have to say on the matter is the oficial line: "If A leads to B...& B leads to C...." Er, I mean "There is no new technology."
No, I believe you mean there is no new technology. [Big Grin]

In that case, I'll forego the Intrepid and two Defiants... Though come to think of it, I'll trade one of my three Sabers for a Defiant That gives me the following:

* 1 Akira
* 2 Novas
* 2 Sabers
* 1 Defiant
* 1 Miranda or Norway
* 1 Istanbul
* 1 Peregrine squadron

One more question... are any of the Zemch-reserved planets habitable?

Also, any word on the disposition of the Runnymede, or will that come with the next question?

Map still forthcoming...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Member # 343

Yes, they're habitable...which is part of why they've been reserved. (read Prime Directive for trusteeship issues)

"Disposition?"

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here goes...

Q1a

Starfleet�s priorities regarding neutral systems and societies generally begin with providing for continued neutrality. On that note, my task is to intercept and deter undue outside influences, a policy that (wholly incidentally) gives me dibs to any cultural meddling I choose to sanction.

My operations will have to begin with classic sector control, involving at least three starships and other assets on monitoring duty and defensive readiness, plus their support forces. Second in priority order will be interaction with the Dorzans, at first limited to rudimentary diplomatic contact and casual intel work. Third comes dealing with the flowers and bees on Semma, an issue for which I have a period-specific approach in mind. Fourth will be the detailed charting of all sector features, in tried and true Starfleet methodology.

Q1b

Sector control begins with three first-rate starships, of which two are in active duty at any given time. For the sake of possible future intrigue, I assume I mainly get postwar scraps:

USS Robuste (NCC-14677), Excelsior class
USS Elent�ri (NCC-21321), Hokule�a class
USS Achilles (NCC-12532), Apollo class

My support forces are slightly more modern. I have two "troubleshooter" lightweights, and one former planetary assault ship that has been reconfigured for tender, depot and repair duties. These vessels generally reside at the starbase:

USS Balmoran (NCC-78212), Sabre class
USS Katana (NCC-79479), Sabre class
USS Veracruz (NCC-54911), Steamrunner class

Although rather lightly armed overall, the Veracruz still embarks a company of ground troops, their vehicles stashed in one corner of her vast holds. At a moment's notice, she can take aboard and arm the usual troop strength, a reinforced batallion - although these troops won't be quite as experienced as the shipboard regulars.

For my survey needs, I deploy a versatile if small science vessel:

USS Humason (NCC-81303), Nova class

Q1c

The Dorzan question, while of secondary import, warrants a special liaison. It�s not as if Captain Henschel would majorly contribute to my primary efforts with her antique tin can (but don�t tell her I said so); off to Dorza she goes, with the mission of establishing a working UFP consulate there. Starfleet�s young promises coming this way get channeled to her staff. Work on the consulate should also provide an excuse for near-constant starship presence, with my big cruisers helping to haul the furniture.

In the meantime, I intend to learn about the neighborhood faster than the Dorzans can. My Sabres will begin with charting out the Zemch reservate, and deploying a dense yet covert sensor network there. At the same time, my science vessel will launch Operation Not Really Here: a diplomatic mission to Semma consisting solely of holographic envoys. They will provide full transparency, both figurative and literal, acting on Semman terms and avoiding any physical interference with the world. They have the mandate to improvise, to flexibly assume new forms and practices as befits the Semman situation. Their goal is to intermingle with the society along a path of least resistance.

As my forces arrive, one of the cruisers and the depot ship will initially remain at the starbase; others will deploy as described above, with one cruiser on patrol in the upper right areas of the sector, and with the Runnymede in Dorzan orbit.

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
"Disposition?"

Sorry, I mean the possibility of trading in the obsolete Miranda for some newer equivalent, either a Norway or an Intrepid. I mean, after their pathetic showing in the Dominion War, they're ready to be pulled off front line duties anyway, right? Plus, having a NEWER ship like an Intrepid would make more of a favorable impression on the Dorzans, right?
Shik
Member # 343

You can always try, I suppose...

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

ADVANCE WARNING
Question Two posts on Saturday. Planning on playing? Might want to get in now....not that you can't join up later, that is.

--------------------

Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dorza Sector is a gold mine for an Advancement-minded Admiral looking to get those extra pips.

Q1a:
Priorities:
First Priority � Engage in Classification and Colonization of uninhabited Class-M and other habitable worlds throughout the sector. Expanding Federation interests and control in the region; as well as serving the dual role of containing the Dorza to their star system in hopes of �encouraging� social reform.
Second Priority � Contact with Seema and Zznjlii, brokering an amicable research exchange and Trustee status position within the Federation.
Third Priority � Protect Zemch from �Prime Directive� violations. (i.e. Gorn, Klingons, or Dorza influences)
Fourth Priority � Continue to foster Dorza/Federation friendship and continue to move them towards Federation Membership.

Intelligence needs:
1. Dorza intentions outside their star system (i.e. colonization, exploration, conquest)
2. Seema & Zznjlii intentions outside their star system (i.e. colonization, exploration, conquest)
3. Federation friendly groups or Pro-Age groups inside Dorza�s political and social systems (Ascertaining the likelihood of reform happening in the near future and how best to support such reform)

Q1b:
Ship Request:
1 � Excelsior Class ~ A strong military and cultural presence in the sector.
3 � New Orleans or Apollo or Miranda Class ~ (Any combination of these three � most likely one New Orleans and two Miranda�s) Older ships, but still packing more than enough punch for this system. Used as reinforcements for the Excelsior, �Flying the Flag�, and patrols.
4 � Nova Class ~ Science and Intel gathering missions throughout the sector.
4 � Colony Ships/Transports ~ For colonization of worlds, deploying as needed once worlds are deemed colonizable by the Nova�s. Used to transport supplies and goods when not used for colonization purposes.

Q1c:
While encouraging the Dorza to enter into Membership with the Federation is a long-term goal, this peaceful mission should not be done at the cost the whole sector. The Dorza must not be allowed to move far beyond their system and lay claim to worlds, to be allowed to do so would only foster the obstinacy they�ve already shown by refusing to adopt full-fledge democracy. Elements within Dorza, sympathetic to Pro-Aging ideals need to be found out and entered into closed communications. Fostering and encouraging their development so one day Membership can be granted to the Dorza people, but also using their power to check Dorza expansion efforts.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps