Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS: "Mirror Mirror" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS: "Mirror Mirror"
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention of this on Flare yet. For the remastering of this episode, the ISS Enterprise is actually the older design of the Enterprise, with the pointy nacelles.

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/mment.JPG

This is quite an interesting idea, although the way In a Mirror, Darkly ended completely fucks this up. You just have to pretend that episode didn't happen. Otherwise, why would the MU have an older design of the 1701 when mirror Archer found the brand spanking new Defiant 100 years earlier? Unless it was destroyed before the Terran Empire could dissect it, but that should've been delt with in those episodes.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why? We can fill in the gaps. There's no reason they coulnd't have backwards-engineered the Defiant over the course of the intervening century.

Personally, I leave open the possibility that they never did. Instead, Empress Hoshi liked her new flagship plenty, and changed the name and number to match her first ship. Causal loop complete. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just seems odd that they'd backwards-engineer it and have it coming out looking like it did in the Cage, or whenever it was that it had the spikes. The spikes seem to be an edition to the ship(rather than something that's present on all versions of the ship, but hidden away), so I wonder why the Terrans would've replicated an old and apparently defunct bit of kit.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it could also be that the Mirror Universe seen in Enterprise could be different from the MU in Mirror,Mirror.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there's no real reason to assume that the series-1701 is more advanced than the pilot-1701. One of them may just have some specialized gear.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the spiky ship in the original as well? That is, since there had to be a left-pointing ship for the, uh, mirrored shot, they took the smaller model which had an intact and photographable port flank, and that one still had the older features.

I still insist that all the versions had nacelle spikes; sometimes they just chose to retract them.

Timo Saloniemi

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those spikes were cool looking but I don't know what purpose they served.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Wasn't the spiky ship in the original as well? That is, since there had to be a left-pointing ship for the, uh, mirrored shot, they took the smaller model which had an intact and photographable port flank, and that one still had the older features.

I still insist that all the versions had nacelle spikes; sometimes they just chose to retract them.

Timo Saloniemi

Based on screencaps on TrekCore the ISS Enterprise was depicted as both versions of the model, just like the USS Enterprise is in this, and many other episodes.

The original version didn't have randomly inserted at warp model photography though.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ISS Enterprise was the full-size miniature with backwards decals. As with shots where they wanted to show the port side of the USS Enterprise the negative was flipped.

In fan lore, those spikes are "static-dispersion vanes", and yes, they are presumed to have been made retractable later on and are present on all versions of the TOS Enterprise.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..But but but...

The first, "mirrored" shot of the ISS Enterprise in the original episode definitely has the spikes and the high dome, so it can't be the mirror-decaled series version. It really has to be stock footage from "The Cage" somehow.

Yet the aired version of "The Cage" features no such side shot, whether facing left or right. So it's unused stock footage!

Except for the already infamous title sequence, all other shots in "Mirror, Mirror" (including the right-facing USS shot that alternates with the left-facing spiky, high-dome ISS in the climax of the teaser) are systematically of the series version of the starship, with bubbles at the aft ends of the nacelles and all. This regardless of whether they represent the USS or the ISS.

It seems the mirrored decals on the series version (which definitely did exist on that model at one point) were never really used for actual episode photography. Perhaps there was an intention to use them for "Mirror, Mirror", but then somebody found this nice footage of the "The Cage" ship, possibly even already facing to the left, and the idea of additional photography was dropped.

Timo Saloniemi

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Well there was also "Where No Man Has Gone Before" which also featured a tall domed and spikey nacelled Enterprise. Maybe they used some stock footage from there as well. Realistically though, both MU Enterprise and regular Enterprise were both represented by stock of footage of all three version of the Enterprise filming model so I have no idea why Trek remastered has the ISS Enterprise solely with the taller dome and spikes.
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly to match Scotty's line about variations in technology.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Perhaps.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then they went and used the same version of the ship as the mirror ships opposite in the scene where they switch.

Its just use of the most convenient footage, just like any other time we see that version of the ship.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible the Terran Empire chose not to repeat every design feature on the Defiant and that many of the materials/tech were not available to the Earth-centric Empire. (as the Federation's greatest technological strength is it's diversity).

I'd imagine the Terran Empire's ships built from the Defiant's tech would be far removed from our known designs- no need for much of that "peaceful explotration" equipment and more dedicated to weapons/defenses.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps