Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS"The Menagerie" Pt.1 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS"The Menagerie" Pt.1
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Trek Movie:

The Menagerie is Trek�s only two part episode which cleverly uses the (at the time) unaired pilot �The Cage�. The enhancements to expect:

* new Starbase 11 matte paintings
* new Starbase 11 planet and new Talos IV
* various new shots of the Enterprise
* a new (seen for the first time) shuttlecraft
* tracking zoom-in shot of Pike�s Enteprise (with CGI crew transitioning to live action crew)
* various view monitor shots
* �and look for tiny versions of the Trek Remastered Producers and Effects Team in the background at Starbase 11

Oooh. new shuttlecraft.

http://trekmovie.com/2006/11/25/remastered-managerie-part-1-airs-today/

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm mostly interested in the starbase shots and remade bridge fly-in shot. I always thought that was a cool shot, but apparently the new version looks more realistic.

EDIT: Looks like someone put it on youtube. [Smile] The new shots of the starbase really are seamless.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you provide a link I can't find it.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY-3lYxSL9I

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Thanks. Starbase 11 looks great especially during the night time scenes.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit seeing some of the new stuff is giving me the urge to create some new artwork again.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...With the Enterprise bridge facing dead ahead and not rotated 30 degrees to port.

At least in the R-TOS universe, that old chestnut can now be roasted and eaten, or fed to the squirrels, or buried on the backyard, or whatever it is that people do to old chestnuts.

Also, the Enterprise is about 10 % larger than previously thought. Even if there's some fancy lensing effect involved in the zoom-in.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh. The shot is amazing from an artistic POV, but it's really quite silly from a realistic one. Was that dome ever really supposed to be just a sun-roof?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me, I prefer to think of the dorsal dome as a sensor array similar to the ventral dome. The actual bridge is somewhere deeper down, perhaps a whole deckful down.

But that's how the thing apparently looks "for real" from now on...

...But it is sort of "unreal" even though canon anyway. I mean, that pull-in was obviously not shot with the Enterprise flight recorder. It's make-believe imagery created by the Talosians. It need not be accurate in any respect.

Now, if the same alterations were made to "The Cage" where the same scene supposedly is not Talosian make-believe but "actual imagery"...

Timo Saloniemi

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

The one thing I could never figure out is how Kirk and crew couldn't realize that all that they were viewing was coming from some alien influence and not the computer banks. I haven't seen the episode in a long while so perhaps I'm missing something.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, Spock was giving a presentation and he was in contact with the Talosians. It was they that contacted him and sent him to SB11 to pick up Pike, etc.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe everyone was just creeped-out by Pike.
I'm sure there's an unreleased version wherein every time Pike rolls closer, Kirk and company slowly edge away...then Pike starts with the morse beeping thing:
"BEEP BEEP " translates to "Kill Me!"
"BEEP BEEP BEEP" Translates to "Please Kill Me!"
"BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" translates to "Fuck! I thought you assholes were my friends! Kill Me!"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Johnny
Member # 878

I saw Menagerie just a couple of weeks ago, and I've already forgotten, but somebody points out(towards the end [Roll Eyes] ) that what they're seeing can't possibly be a computer recording. So they're made to look stupid, but not that stupid. Mendez didn't exist, and Kirk probably wanted to see the rest of the show, so that explains why the two highest ranking officers said nothing.

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:

Now, if the same alterations were made to "The Cage" where the same scene supposedly is not Talosian make-believe but "actual imagery"...

Timo Saloniemi

The Cage is apparently the last episode they're going to show, although they've obviously had a head start remastering it.

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now if only they had put a dome on Pike and attached a recording so that everytime he beeped it made an electronic "EXTERMINATE!" sound.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

More stuff from Trekmovie.

http://trekmovie.com/2006/11/25/the-menagerie-part-1-screenshots/

The Starbase 11 shuttle is apparently named Picasso.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps