Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » StarFleet Command III now Abandonware (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: StarFleet Command III now Abandonware
Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry if this constitues spamming, but I figured I'd let folks know.

SFC3 which was the last game in the series recently became Abandonware, meaning it is legal to download and play the full version. It's a space simulation set in post Voyager era and was one of the better Star Trek titles Activision published.

It's 144 megs, and the site has amazing download speeds.I got the whole thing in 15 minutes.

Here's the link. It's a good site and it doesn't contain any spyware or pop-ups. Again, this is legal. It's not a torrent or anything like that.

Sorry if this against the site rules. It's not my intent to violate them.

[link removed]

[ December 11, 2006, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A general rule of thumb: if you think it might be potted meat-like, it probably is.

Also, "blaming." "Blamming" sounds like something Mikey T might do.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my little nova-scotian, we are you posting already known information? Next you know he'll be saying that Star Trek Enterprise has been canceled.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I followed the link and I got two caught pop-ups and a popup that took me to another site CLAIMING to 'fix' my computer.

Sounds like a load of shite. I'd like to think it was cool to download.

Repost here and explain yourself.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mars -

Apparently it's isn't already known by all:)

AndrewR -

Sorry if there's a pop up. Didn't notice them in Firefox. SFCIII was developped by a company called Taldren. They went out of buisness a while ago.

Chriteria for abandonware is usually one of the following

* Released for 5 years

* Contract expired between the two companies

* The developper is no longer in buisness.

In this case, the last two a true (The first would become true this January actually). There was also a big lawsuit between Activision and it's developpers.

Anyway, if there's any real trouble with this let me know and I'll kill the link. It went fine for me in Firefox, but I didn't check Explorer or any other browsers.

(http://www.startrek-gamers.com/history12.htm)

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But its still known by some!
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I can download it no problem. Not that I've tried, but I did get taken straight to the page talking about the game and it tells me I can get it with
quote:
BitTorrent (what's this?). Please note that our one-download-at-a-time rule applies here as well. If you don't use BitTorrent, click here to download [148MB]. Click here to download a specific file inside the archive
Looks interesting. I liked Armada. That was Activition too, right?

Hated DS-9 Harbinger. I think that was Simon and Schuster. Their games have always sucked.

Josh
Member # 1884

Yep, Activision did most of the 90's early 00 games. Elite Force was also awesome.

The BitTorrent thing isn't illegal either. BT has a bit of a bad wrap because it is often used to illegal distribution of software, but it's a good program.

Blizzard often uses it to distribute World of Warcraft patches to keep the bandwith demand on the site down.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Well I just finished scouring the internet for any reviews on that new trek game- Star Trek Legacy. Opinions range from ass-kissing to whiny bitching. It seems a big critique is the fact that game is a port of the xbox 360 version, complete with 360 like controls. Plus some parts of the game are built on the Star Trek Armada engine. I'll still buy it though and get an erection from seeing all the starships shooting at each other.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SFC3's been abandonware for a long time already.

Too bad the game sucked. The only good part of the game was the ship customization. 12 pulse phasers on a Sov were totally kickass.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
SFC3's been abandonware for a long time already.

Too bad the game sucked. The only good part of the game was the ship customization. 12 pulse phasers on a Sov were totally kickass.

I assume the disinterest will continue along the MOD front as well. I enjoyed Generations At War and Dominion Wars, especially (even though both Mods were problematic at times for the Single Player campaign.). either way, the parties involved in both those MODS deserve some thanks for thier efforts to improve a game, when the game makers chose not -or- can not, fix/improve thier products...

[Frown]

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the GAW mod,and it was pretty good. There were some single player problems, such as your first opponent being a heavy cruiser of some kind while your puttering along in your lowly frigate. Plus the fact that there isn't any room for customizations. All in all I'd say it was a poor successor to the original.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about this particular game, but abandonware ≠ uncopyrighted.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

The Generations at War mod was good, but it was never really meant to be played for the campaigns. It was more of an instant action/ multi player mod.
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I downloaded, it doesn't work, its asking me to install Directx 8.1??????????

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps