Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Dominion War (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dominion War
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody know where I can find comprehensive canon information on the Dominion War?

I had recently saw a published RPG guide in a bookstore which sparked my interest War.

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there's memory alpha.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Dominion_War

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, man. The Dominion war ended almost EIGHT YEARS AGO. It's already a classic historical event!

And look at whre Trekdom is now. By WWII standards, the Cold War is in full swing, A Pepsi bottle is way too sweet and costs a whole nickel, and people have been successfully duped into believeing that "Duck and Cover" is a great way to survive a nuclear blast. Where would the Federation be now, post Dominion War?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on the numerous correlates between the Pax Federation and Pax Britannia, the Federation (read Empire) is in slow but inevitable decline. It's completely bankrupt thanks to a huge war and endless conflicts and other military disputes that have raged for years along it's borders (for years, read every other episode). As a result the Federation is desperate to scrap all it's war build ships and most of the older vessels who are more expensive to support and more manpower intensive due to a critical lack of money/latinum/resources/litres of warp plasma/units of currency or whatever else they use.

In addition, there is the vast damage to infrastructure to many of the Federations colonies and core planets to repair, plus building housing and providing temporary accomodation and transport for refugees. There are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of troops and reservists to demob, partly to get rid of the unnecessary manpower and partly to get rid of the costs. There are thousands of war wounded, civilian and military, to care for long term.

Politically, there is an increasing desire to draw down on interstellar committments and a growing sense of disillusionment with the Federation among many of the non-human members and even some of the long established human colonies. This partly stems from the realisation that the Federation is not unbeatable and all powerful, having just witnessed first hand numerous instances in which a foreign invader, operating at vast distances from their own home worlds, handed the Feds their asses more than once on the same day. Such a Federation has lost the veneer of peace and security, invincibility and comfortable civilisation it once had, and people are starting to wonder if they wouldn't be better off on their own in future, running their own affairs as they see fit.

And as if that wasn't enough, the old tensions are rapidly being replaced by new ones in the post-war era, thanks to the radical shifts in the power base of the quadrant which the war brought about. This requires the Federation to make it's best effort to retain an effective fighting force of it's newest and most advanced ships and most professional serving personnel to deal with brush fire wars, incursions from opportunists and to ensure the continued security of the Federations current borders. This task is made no easier by the need to continue funding research and development into the new types of weapons systems which came into being on both sides during the war. Much of this technology was dispersed among many potentially hostile neighbours who, whilst having been allies of the moment when the shit was hitting the fan, may soon change their tune when the dust settles. So military spending in some areas cannot be cut back and maintaining it is painful for the economy as a whole. The Fleet will lose some of it's more expensive assets and sacrifice the balanced structure within it's order of battle in order to maintain the high quality of the units that remain. This last part is code for having to cut the aircraft carriers so you can afford to build the ballistic missile submarines.

One day the Federation will get it's economy and it's prospects back in the black, but before that day comes the Federation will a much smaller place which places more emphasis on integrating itself into profitable economic treaties and trade zones than it does in unilaterally "going it alone".

End Lecture.

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. I made all this up but it still sounded better to me than any of the logically inconsistent, pie in the sky canon stuff you're likely to find ;-)
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turmoil has engulfed the
United Federation of Planets.
The taxation of trade routes
to outlying star systems is
in dispute.

Hoping to resolve the matter
with a blockade of deadly
battleships, the greedy First
Federation has stopped all
shipping to the small planet
of Cestus III.

While the congress of the
Federation endlessly debates
this alarming chain of events,
the Federation President has
secretly dispatched two
Starfleet Officers, the
guardians of peace and justice
in the galaxy, to settle
the conflict�

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the ass. So many wonders can be pulled from it, that it's easy to ignore the steaming piles of shit. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And finally the FIFTH foundation will return Trantor to its rightful place as Emperial Throneworld until the return of the Shadows in mankinds "Second Uplift" that breaks the seal on the Dark One's prison to allow Rand Al Thor to battle at Tarmon Gaidon and start the Wheel of Time over where R. Daneel Olivaw wakes up and realizes that Giskard has been messing with more than his mind and he has now leaked lubricant all over himself.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only person who did NOT come up with an apocalyptic view of the post- DW Federation? Mine is rather "stronger for the effort" based.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
And finally the FIFTH foundation will return Trantor to its rightful place as Emperial Throneworld until the return of the Shadows in mankinds "Second Uplift" that breaks the seal on the Dark One's prison to allow Rand Al Thor to battle at Tarmon Gaidon and start the Wheel of Time over where R. Daneel Olivaw wakes up and realizes that Giskard has been messing with more than his mind and he has now leaked lubricant all over himself.

You forgot psycho-history fool!
Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

I feel ashamed that my reply was serious and contained structured thought and that I did not opt for a humourous retort or funny skit on a variety of other franchises and even some novels. I would remedy this now but I am dull and lack the necessary wit.

/hangs head in shame

Instead, I challenge anyone to recognise this reference. His name was as a colour, shade of purple grey.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jabberwock?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. I've had JabberwockY memorised for well over a decade.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snicker snack went your testes.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mm... A Snickers snack....
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps