Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Next Trek - Animated? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Next Trek - Animated?
Lgravity
Member # 2148

- posted      Profile for Lgravity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
No offense, but that sounds horrible.

Could you be more specific?
The visual CGI style, or using Shatner & Nimoy to do the voice acting, or that it would be set during TOS in the first place?

If you could choose the time period to set an animated series when would YOU choose?

As far as a visual CGI style
I'd really like to see something like the 60 minutes of CGI animated cinematics in-game created for "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed" that was released September 2008.
see:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36012.html
If Paramount was capable of creating gorgeous CGI like that...

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Making a 3D Star Trek with animation comparable to Star Wars:The Clone Wars would just come across as a cheap knock-off. Plus the animation (with the exception of vehicles and spacecraft) in the Clone Wars already borders only looking too silly, though granted its targeted toward children.
Lgravity
Member # 2148

- posted      Profile for Lgravity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
[QB] Making a 3D Star Trek with animation comparable to Star Wars:The Clone Wars would just come across as a cheap knock-off.

I only used that series as a starting point to be a completely different look that the 1973 ST:The Animated Series extremely minimal filmmation style of animation.

With the software that is available today it is quite possible to use it like these:
Atari's new 2009 GHOSTBUSTERS", the video game trailer and "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed" in-game CGI animated cinematics
to create an actual animated series with this look and quality.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* It's a question of 'will someone buy it?' & 'will i/we/some-fucktard-stockholder make any $$$ from such a project since i/we/some-fucktard-stockholder has to fork out the cash BEFORE we start?

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) is the only entidy to do this (produce a anime medium from original live action) and make buckets of $$$ in the meantime. X-men doesn't count, Transformers doesn't count, since the anime versions existed in numberous versions before hand.

there are other shows i'd like to see (and probably never will) in any form, such as...

Battletech, anyone? Battle Angel Alita? Macross?

*sort* Ok, we can blaim HG for the lack of Macross stateside but... *sniffle*

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where the hell is that "Thread Revive" jpeg?

And I'm pretty sure that most people don't give a shit about any "Captain Sulu" adventures.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lgravity
Member # 2148

quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
I'm pretty sure that most people don't give a shit about any "Captain Sulu" adventures.

Okay well what about using the Excelsior (NCC-2000) after it's first handful missions, Sulu gone, maybe even a refit NCC-2000-A?
A new captain and crew set maybe in 2320?
I'm just saying it's a beutiful ship and could be used in that time period.

Dukhat what would your preferences for a ST ship, crew CGI-animated series be?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

As much as I'd love to see a new incarnation of Trek ( although, anything is possible if the movie makes an impact), I doubt it would happen, and I really don't think turning it into a kid oriented television show wuill be much of a success. The Star Wars animated series is a hit because kids, who are the target audience, think that Star Wars is cool. THere are guys fighting with light sabres, droids blasting eachother etc. A vast majority of the small minority of kids nowadays that know Star Trek exists, think that it is for dorks and nerds, or that it is way too complicated to be of much interest.

Unless the new movie sparks such an interest, I doubt we'll see an animated trek anytime soon.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Okay well what about using the Excelsior (NCC-2000) after it's first handful missions, Sulu gone, maybe even a refit NCC-2000-A? A new captain and crew set maybe in 2320?
Well, without Sulu, it might as well be any ship in any time. And as ENTERPRISE proved regarding TOS, a new show set in the past is a bad idea because it will invariably contradict what was shown in TNG, etc.

quote:
I'm just saying it's a beutiful ship and could be used in that time period.
If you think it's beautiful, fine. I personally hate it because I've seen it so many damn times.

quote:
Dukhat what would your preferences for a ST ship, crew CGI-animated series be?
None, because I think an animated series is a bad idea.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I had no clue as to what the Excelsior was until I saw the registry number tacked on in parenthesis after it. Now it all makes sense.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trek geek sarcasm, got to love it. [Smile]

Can I just stick a pin in the idea that with todays CGI technology everything is easier and better looking? Yes, you could do it in a machinima style like cut-scenes in expensive video games, but it's neither easy nor cheap. Any form of animation is so time consuming you wouldn't believe anyone could do it, and time is money. There's also motion capture, actors, sound recording, yada yada yada. That's why animation is usually divided into 'keep it cheap' talking head toy adverts done with slave labour in the far east, or mega-expensive animation studio stuff from Pixar and Dreamworks using rooms of mega computers. There is no cheap animation, unless you do it yourself with a pencil in the corner of your books.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a reason TAS is a stones throw away from Teh ASs.

If they wern't so seventies craptastic, it might be nice to see a CG redo of it though. But it is, so it wouldn't.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Lgravity
Member # 2148

quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:

If they wern't so seventies craptastic, it might be nice to see a CG redo of it though. But it is, so it wouldn't.

Wow there is a thought.
Completely re-create ST:TAS in CGI.
same dialogue, same music, add new sound effects.

For the CGI they could use create CGI models of the heads of all the lead actors built from 1960s photographs of Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley in makeup.
Use the Enterprise CGI model that was created for the CBS Paramount ST:TOS-R work done in the past few years.

Overly expensive but a cool idea.
It wouldn't be a reimagining it would just be recreation shot-for-shot of ST:TAS.
What do you think?

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think ST:TAS was designed to appeal to 10 year olds. Talking heads, Flintstones(tm) repeating backdrops when they did move, and some very corny stories do not make a great series. I look at some of the dreadful cheap CGI cartoons out there right now and I think kids will watch anything.

I dont know about you but I'd prefer a better update, something along the lines of the new Captain Scarlet, with similar production values. Something a little more upmarket, something expensive enough that they'll probably never make more than one series.

To be honest, the only animation that would work in terms of cost and fun factor would probably be something along the lines of flash animation. It would be cheap, fun and cost effective, and you could churn out tons of episodes for the cost of designing one CGI model Spock. Let Gennedy Tartakovsky or John Kricfalusi loose on an update and I'd watch that all day, along with all the kids.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Completely recreate an existing series shot for shot?

Are you talking about things you think might actually happen or just what you'd like to see if you were the ruler of all the land?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lgravity
Member # 2148

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
things you think might actually happen or just what you'd like to see if you were the ruler of all the land?

Those were just ideas.
CBS Paramount owns this franchise and the costs would be too high to CGI a show that is over 30 years old and keep everything else. They would also have to pay out more $ to the original voice actors.

It was just an idea.
I'd like to really see high end CGI but to do that it would be Pixar or Dreamworks to do it right. 'The Clone Wars' in 2008 was a middle ground. It is POSSIBLE but not probably for a Trek series.
Not now anyway. Paramount will probably go the feature film route which means no more until 2011.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.