Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Brent Spiner is an idiot

Author Topic: Brent Spiner is an idiot
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK the title maybe a little harsh but...

Read this article - posted at trekmovie.com

LOOK HERE

If that movie was made with fans in mind, then they don't think very highly of fans. From star to finish it just didn't work.

"The Fans were done with us" - well if that makes you sleep better at night...

A good movie, with a good plot, good acting etc. is what fans got - and Nemesis did NOT provide.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he's right on a superficial level. The fans did want a movie about the Romulans, they did want to know what Remus was all about, they did want to see the Enterprise get into a real "Wrath of Khan" type fight, they wanted to see what Federation ground vehicles looked like and they wanted to see Riker & Troi get on with it.

Now I'm not saying that all fans wanted all of these things, but I think it's safe to say that most fans wanted most of those things.

They just didn't like HOW those things were executed.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many times have people complained about 'fans' and their 'fan-wankedness'... ships bristling with 100's of weapons. There is a difference between creating something that would be appealing to real fans (things like that are nice injokes and tie-ins into continuity) and pandering to what they 'THINK' fans like. I agree with your last sentence (well I agree with your whole post) but it was the execution of the project that was crap and to turn around as I've heard Patrick Stewart and now Brent Spiner do - to say "oh well the fans didn't like it - it was the fan's fault for not coming" etc. is just lame. Take a bit of responsibility.

--------------------

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I wanted to see waaaayyyy back when Generations was announced was a movie depicting Picard retiring from Starfleet (or at least taking a sabbatical) and becoming an ambassador, Riker receiving command of the Enterprise and their first mission was taking Picard to his new assignment.

Yes, for a long, long time I've wanted more Romulan development. We're so comfortable with Klingons that some fans would be happy with a Klingon based series, yet we still know relatively little about the Romulans.

Ground vehicles? Well, I would like to see other aspects of 24th century life than what is around Starfleet. If that counts as ground vehicles, then OK.

But yes, I don't think I wanted to see all of these in the same movie.

ST:TWOK was a great movie. It's one thing to have another movie with a great starship duel and quite another to try to overkill the emulation of the earlier film.

::shakes head::

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I for one think the ship battles in Nemesis were very well executed, and the ramming was more than I would've hoped for.

The movie introduced also a number of new ideas in Trek universe; the Enterprise being fully visible as it goes into warp, the phasers being able to pan their target while firing, resulting in a spray-like effect not unlike that of a swivel-firing vulcan cannon.

The only reason that starfleet people in TNG never waved their phasers while firing was of course due to the difficulty of adding the post-production effect, with the exception of that morphing monster Geordi shot in his quarters with his bedside phaser in season 6 iirc, he shot as he was dropping to the ground, resulting in a short but definitely curved firing arc.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My main issue with Nemesis was that none of the characters sounded quite right. That does a lot to kill anything Trek for me. I've enumerated on here enough times what my problems were with Nemesis, I don't think I need to repeat them. Just do a search for "Nemesis" and my screen-name. *heh*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always like Brent Spiner and Data was probably my favourite TNG character, but he clearly doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. He says he realised it was time to stop playing Data because he was too old and that makes a lot of sense, so why, for all intents and purposes did he(as co-writer or whatever he was) bring the character back from the dead in the last few minutes? That completely contradicts what he says in the article and made the movie totally pointless. You expect the reset button to come into play in a tv series, but not in a movie which is allegedly the final outing for a group of characters.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How many times have people complained about 'fans' and their 'fan-wankedness'... ships bristling with 100's of weapons. There is a difference between creating something that would be appealing to real fans (things like that are nice injokes and tie-ins into continuity) and pandering to what they 'THINK' fans like."

Or, to put it another way, they may have missed the difference between "fan" and "fanboy".

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Well I for one think the ship battles in Nemesis were very well executed, and the ramming was more than I would've hoped for.

Oh it was nice, shame they revealed all the movie's secrets in the PREVIEW thought!! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Pleiades10
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for Pleiades10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, there was just too much over the top weaponry in the ship, but the movie did seem a little desperate if I may say so myself.

--------------------
errrr...

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't help but think the Scimitar was SUPPOSED to be in Andromeda not Trek. I thought the whole Dune-Buggy-Trek was retarded and while the ramming bit was well executed, the two new Rommies went down way too quickly and I never really had a feeling the "E" was in danger.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was inclined to agree that Spiner is an idiot who either doesn't know what the fans are talking about all the time or who has a total misconception of how the movie really wound up.

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Well, he's right on a superficial level. The fans did want a movie about the Romulans, they did want to know what Remus was all about, they did want to see the Enterprise get into a real "Wrath of Khan" type fight, they wanted to see what Federation ground vehicles looked like and they wanted to see Riker & Troi get on with it.

But this is something that I didn't consider so far. Because "Romulans", "Wrath of Khan" or "Riker & Troi" are typical favorites in polls, rather than "continuity". So to someone who just pays attention to coarse and not necessarily representative statistics, Nemesis was exactly the logical film to make. Only that even if we forgive the trivial premise it was poorly executed.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.