Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » That's no moon, it's an amoeba! $$The Immunity Syndrome$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: That's no moon, it's an amoeba! $$The Immunity Syndrome$$
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must tip my hat to the Remastered people for this one.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/04/02/get-infected-with-the-immunity-syndrome-trailer/

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to have sex with that amoeba.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now an ameoba fetish!?!
What would your paramecium girlfriend think if she heard such filth?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My paramecium girlfriend would think that's cilia. But I gotta think at the macrophage level about this - no point crying over broken platelets. There's no vacuole between my ears, y'hear? I ain't lysosoming! Besides, both paramecium and amoeba would understand, since I'm no phagocyte. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's viral thinking, son- you'll contaminate the whole dish with such perversion.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't make me go get my Aunty Biotic.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey don't be so hard on Mark, he's a fungi.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Explaining his frequent halucinations, no doubt. [Wink]

Still, I guess it's to be expected- housing is so expected on Yuggoth nowadays.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Hehe here's something funny posted on Trek Movie about The Immunity Syndrome.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/04/05/shuttleon/

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

More stuff on the episode

http://trekmovie.com/2007/04/06/remastered-the-immunity-syndrome-airs-this-weekend-plus-new-preview-images/

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, here's the thing I've never understood. Are amoebae actually flat in real life, or is the appearance just an effect of looking at them exclusively through microscopes? Although the effects here are still shinier, I think they fell seriously flat by preserving the fake-2D appearance of the amoeba.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who thinks this looks about as disappointing as the Tholian's unchanged appearance in last week's episode?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Actually I think they tried to make it look more three-dimensional. But then again the design of this particular amoeba is such that I can not conceive of it having more volume.

Edit: I think that blue outline makes it look flat.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It was okay- nothing special- I think mainly because the ameoba was just rendered to occupy the same space/shots as the original and not make it radicaly new.
It's be nice to see it move a bit though- this thing is yet another giant threat to whole solar-systems without FTL capability and another rush to risk the ship destroying it (this is before they knew it was about to reproduce).

Nice shuttlebay scene- they really got that down now.

Bad stuff- when the Enterprise first releases reverse thrust and plunges forward into the creature, they exactly reproduced the jerky "model on a string" look of the original and instead of surging forward at high speed, it kinda wobbles away from the camera's angle.

Yet another episode where McCoy is a TOTAL DICK.
Seriously- Spock is going on what everyone agrees is a suicide mission and McCoy's all "Damn you! you cant let me share in this discovery, can you?!".
I guess the idea was to show...er...McCoy's desire to die or some shit.
He kinda recovers once Spock is recovered, but no one's shedding tears when they count Spock among the dead.
I guess Spock saves Kirk's life snother dozen times prior to STII- earning him a moment's emotion when he gets killed saving the ship then. This episode it's all like "Note to Log: have Starfleet send another Vulcan- possible Vulcan shortage coming with loss of U.S.S. Intrepid."

The good- the episode is beautifully remastered and Nimoy's performance is really a winner in this episode.
The loss of the Intrepid is a tad strange though- no emergency bouy with logs and such and you'd think the powerless ship would have been on the ameoba's prephery with all the "debris" Spock reported...
Maybe Starfleet recovered the ship at some later date, or maybe she still floats lifeless in deep space, waiting for someone to be grossed out by a crew of 300 freeze-dried vulcans.

Would've been nice to have seen a TOS Intrepid model in Janeway's ready room or a plaque or something, but I guess she's not big on ship's nostalga.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Looking at some of the reviews at Cynic's Corner, she's also a traitor, war criminal, and all around incompetent officer. But that's another story...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps