Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Life imitating Trek (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Life imitating Trek
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every so often I see an instance of the way Star Trek has, if you will, penetrated the zeitgeist. Here are a couple. . .

At the Bristol Eye Hospital; we were there late one night because my wife had a horrible pain in her eye, similar to when she'd scratched her cornea. Turned out she had a tiny metal splinter embedded! Anyway, I was staring at this mural done in the waiting area, it's an eye but it's also meant to be a planet with speceships flying around. One took my notice. . .

Parked outside the only Pharmacy in Bristol open on Easter Sunday, I spotted a sandwich bar called Ten Forward (I should have gotten out of the car and taken a closer shot, but I had Lula in there with me).

-

Post yours here!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if Guinan ever had a metal rollerdoor. [Smile] Bet she wished she did! [Smile]
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there is THIS little nugget. And also HERE.

Shave the Whales!

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh there's a copyrightht infringement lawsuit waiting to happen

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the Boeing Bird of Prey?
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we have seen the creation of a Tricorder, a Hypospray, and a Phaser rifle. I want a replicator next!

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, like I posted way back when, here is one of the first screenshots of the night sky in a portion of the now-famous MMORPG "Second Life":

-

I would really like to know the story behind it. Needless to say, the Nerd is strong in this one.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, but this can't be backed up by image evidence because of the lack of camera phones at the time (1997), but I was on the bus on my way home to catch TOS on a sunday afternoon. I looked forward and saw the name "Ricardo Montalban" etched into the back of the seat in front of me.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have a mini-vacuum cleaner thing (for cleaning the insides of PC cases, my mother keeps giving em them for Christmas, God knows why, at work we just have compressed-air dusters to blow the crap out) which resembles a late-TNG/DS9/Voy-era phaser more than a little. I keep forgetting to get a photo of it. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who knew Swedish bus seats were covered in soft Corinthian leather...?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My TV remote kinda looks like a TNG phaser. Unfortunately I have no way of sending a picture of it to you guys.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay the Obscure:
oh there's a copyrightht infringement lawsuit waiting to happen

Not necessarily - I remember reading an article in a magazine way back when about some agricultural scientists making a working "Mark I" tricorder - it was a sort of all-in-one sensor pack to use out in the field. Supposedly Gene Roddenberry made some clause that copyright had to be given to people who invented technology that - how would you put it - brought us closer to trek tech.

BTW - this is the correct address for the first link:

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/8/8/9

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
Member # 205

TSN: Oh I'll show you leather.
I swear to god one of these days I'm just gonna be there, stabbing you in the shower with a rolled-up newspaper.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shields! Well, radiation shields anyway.
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=22415

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump!

I was running errands with my wife yesterday. One of the places we stopped was a bakery outlet store. As we were going inside I started pointing and saying "Look! Look!" My wife was like "What?" when she turned around and saw what I was pointing at:

-

I'd love to know what the semi was carrying.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.