Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Life imitating Trek (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Life imitating Trek
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger snaps or or white chocolate hazelnut chunk?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made Snickerdoodles.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*claps* Snickerdoodles! The first and only cookie I've ever made from scratch.

I made lembas once, though. I felt like *such* a dork, especially since I was sad I didn't have any mallorn leaves to wrap them in.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the lembas in the movies looked nice but were too crumbly*? (*spoken with an upwards inflection)
If I where one of the cookie convention nerds, I'd say that that crumbleness points to high fiber content, and a fibery cookie is extremely low in energy, it just takes energy to digest fiber. So nothing for hikers, there.

The ones in my mind would've been tougher to chew, slightly like power bars of gas station fame. Maybe with a small core of some tasty and energy-giving fat.

Wonder how they would taste with a side of G'agh.

Call me old-fashioned but in that episode where Riker is to be an exchange student on a Bird of Prey, and is buffing up on klingon food in the galley, I actually thought it looked quite tasty, all that stuff he was putting away.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I really wanna try some of those things. Maybe not live, though.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made Soylent Green cookies but they turned out to be more big fat cubes then thin wafers.

Mmmm.... Soylent Green ::salivate::

Nim
Member # 205

Well, to drag the topic screaming, crying and peeing back on topic, I had a talk with my shareholders today and we brainstormed forth just why my chute lid looks like an Excelsior saucer.

Points Of Reference:
1: Of all saucer designs in canon Star Trek, the Excelsior's is the only one that is pefectly circular, with a convex, tapering edge AND a totally flat underside. I saw that the lid had these properties (and more!).
2: The impulse engines of the Excelsior are the largest and widest on any Starfleet ship, in proportion to the saucer size.
I could see the shapes in the lid immediately, which leads to the next phase:

The Hinges: A New Hope
The hinges on my chute lid don't look exactly like either the Excelsior's impulse engines nor the 1701-B refit's, but takes cues from both of them; they are as wide as the refit's but as tall and deep as the Excelsior's.

Those where the only things that caught my eye about the whole thing, just like I swore in the congressional hearing.

Controversy erupts - A handle?:
Was there a handle on the thing? Through a near-herculean effort I managed to ignore the lid-handle in the process, not giving any thought or importance to it at all.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember in Home and careers, we had to do a cooking unit. I made arguably the best cookies according to the teacher.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Nim
Member # 205

Does this mean we are going to go look for a dead kid next to the train tracks now, cherishing the last innocent summer of our lives?
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Why would he be there. I thought I hid his body by the old mill?
Crap, I shouldn't have said that.
* Runs like hell*

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I made a Lego model of the Excelsior-class once. It was really very good, except for the nacelles (it was a very small model, only about 5 inches, which means the nacelles had to be rectangular prisms). I wish it hadn't been smashed or that I still had the picture. I cheated and glued some parts on, though, because they wouldn't *stay where I stuck them*.

The saucer wasn't perfectly round, either, but the impulse engines were the right shape - which is what made the hatch look so Excelsior-ish to me.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I used to make lego starship models too. I made what I thought looked like a refit connie, and even used a sharpie to draw in torp tubes. [Big Grin]

--------------------

-George Carlin

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

So I was on the A419 near Swindon the other day, and I saw this:

-

Of course, maybe it's just me...

(I didn't take a picture, but a Google Street View capture shows it nicely)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either the street map sign thingy makes you think of a starship on a stick, or else the building behind looks like the innards of the Excelsior undercut at the aft bottom of the secondary hull, turned upside down.

Or you have done too much LDS.

Or I have.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(it's the street sign)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps