Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » new series (again)

Author Topic: new series (again)
grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If so many people want to see a series about star trek's past, why shouldn;t there be one? Maybe a Star Trek: Excelsior, with captain;s sulu's adventures keeping the peace with the klingons during the evacuation of Qu'nos. Or maybe go back even farther, to the end of the romulan war and the formation of the federation. Perhaps this one would be called Star Trek: Federation, the story of ambassadors from earth, vulcan, andora, tellar, etc. meeting and trying to set up the federation. Or, my favortie, go back even farther. Why not the year 2063, right after zefram cochrane's (s?) first warp flight. Perhaps this one would be called Star Trek: Final Frontier. Cochrane and Lily Solane, refugees of the recent nuclear war, suddenly made famous by earth's first contact with an alien race. We could see the reaction of the world upon first contact, and the beginning of a new renassance (s?). Cochrane and solane, world famous celebrities, meet with the governemnts of the world to make plans to build more warp ships. The Vulcans send more expeditions to Earth, to either help humanity, or maybe just observe. Common humans, who until now were just trying to surviuve, will now try to unite as one world, one people. I think this series would be the most succesful, in that it would be the one most closely connected to our modern day world. Afterall, TOS and TNG were succesful because they included concepts for our everyday world. DS9 and VOY have not created huge followings because they're not connected to the real world. Star Trek: Final Frontier would really be able to talk about modern day problems because it is very close to our modern day world. Then of course there is Star Trek: Infinity, the story of the hypership Infinity...well...um...never mind about that one.

------------------
"How many people does it
take before it becomes
wrong? 6,000? 60,000?
How many people does it
take admiral!?!" -Ambassador
Picard during his command
of the Enterprise-E in the
Ba'ku incident.

IP: Logged
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a Sulu series would be great. He doesn't seem to be getting older like the other guys
That's also my favorite time period.

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not older, but definetly fatter.
Compare stVI to Flashback. Uniform a bit tighter there. And on Rand too.

------------------
'It's okay to only know three chords but God, put them in the right order'
-Hank Hill

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for Captain Sulu too, but rather in a two hour TV movie than a new series. A new series should be in the "present" time.

------------------
I know engineers - they love to change things. (McCoy, STTMP)
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Excelsior idea has been considered so many time,s and I dont'kwno why a lot of fans oppose it. After all, the crew of the Excelsior are pretty cool, and they have had some pretty good books, such as The Fearful Summons.

BTW, was Valtane shown at the end of STVI, when Sulu and the crew of the Excelsior is on the viewscreen?

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he was....maybe they ran through some type of spatial anomaly and he came back to life? Or maybe it was his twin......

------------------
"How many people does it
take before it becomes
wrong? 6,000? 60,000?
How many people does it
take admiral!?!" -Ambassador
Picard during his command
of the Enterprise-E in the
Ba'ku incident.

IP: Logged
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why he had to get killed, anyways.

------------------

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He wasn't. He had a cardiac arrest. Tuvok got the nasty bug he had, and went off to his quarters to frown to himself for a while. Meanwhile the medics took Valtane below, gave him some of the old shock therapy and bingo! Back to life.

Sadly, throughout the next few days it took the Excelsior to get back to a starbase, Tuvok and Valtane just managed to keep missing each other.
So poor Tuvok has gone decades thinking the guy died right there. Sad story....amazing, BUT TRUE!

------------------
"Is there anyone there with a gun?"
- On the Hour

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a bad explanation, really.

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too wouldn't mind seeing a sulu series. excelsior series. in some way shape or form.

we could also see more Kang Kor and Koloth not to mention a whole lot of other TOS characters...

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a Sulu series is not a good idea, unless you really know how to handle it.
I think only Star Wars can get away with a good (make that excelent) prequel.

------------------
"Those that can, do. Those that can't, laugh at those who can do."

- Xander from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

Er, some nitpicking needs to be done with "Flashback." In STVI, Spock says that the accident occured a moth ago, I beleive. In "Flashback," the Excelsior is trying to rescue Kirk and McCoy a few days later. Oh yeah, and the novel cover shows an Enterprise-B-type Excelsior.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps