Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Official Star Trek XI Casting Thread (formerly Shaun of Engineering) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Official Star Trek XI Casting Thread (formerly Shaun of Engineering)
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
And, maybe Karl Urban as McCoy. Hmm.

I wonder how much will leak about this film? They're building sets now, so presumably the look of the film has already been decided. Is it gonna be classic Trek models, sets and costumes, or will they update it subtly to avoid the more dated-looking elements? Given no-one really knows what Abrams' next film Cloverfield/1-18-08 is about yet, they could well be able to keep a lid on this one as well. . .

There's already a possible story leak online. I think that was on Aint It Cool as well. To be honest, it sounded a bit iffy, every film has its share of plot holes. I'm still confident it'll be a great movie.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it's Pine...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7050348.stm

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, yeah, Simon already posted that.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adapted from a much-earlier posting on another board, here's an examination of ages. . .

Scott 2222 (44) - Doohan was 46 - Pegg is 37
McCoy 2227 (39) - Kelley was 46 - Urban is 35
Spock 2230 (36) - Nimoy was 35 - Quinto is 30
Kirk 2233 (33) - Shatner was 35 - Pine is 27
Uhura 22? (20something) - Nichols was 33 - Saldana is 29
Sulu 22? (20something) - Takei was 29 - Cho is 35
Chekov 2245 (22 in 2267, when he first appeared in TOS season 2, consistent with going to the Starfleet Academy at age 18 and graduating after a standard 4 years) - Koenig was 31 when he started on the show - Yelchin is 18

Of course, add another year onto the new actors' ages by the time the film comes out. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

mada101
Member # 1285

- posted      Profile for mada101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to consider, though, that the new movie sadly won't be sticking to canon (after all, we know from John Eaves' recent comments that the Enterprise is getting an overhaul, for starters). Therefore, the Enterprise crew can be any age and have known each other from any time period (Checkov may have been aboard for a few years in the new film, for example).

--------------------
'Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.'
- Henry Ford

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mada101:
after all, we know from John Eaves' recent comments that the Enterprise is getting an overhaul

What comments? Link?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the ages of the characters, we only know three for sure: Kirk ("Deadly Years"), McCoy ("Farpoint") and Scotty ("Relics"). Spock, being an alien mongrel, is a complete mystery; the others are guesswork (although Chekov perhaps a bit less than the rest, if the assumptions about his recent graduation hold true).

So, the known three being ten years younger in XI as compared with TOS sounds pretty good...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
quote:
after all, we know from John Eaves' recent comments that the Enterprise is getting an overhaul

What comments? Link?
I hope Eaves isn't doing the work on it.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You have to consider, though, that the new movie sadly won't be sticking to canon (after all, we know from John Eaves' recent comments that the Enterprise is getting an overhaul, for starters). Therefore, the Enterprise crew can be any age and have known each other from any time period (Checkov may have been aboard for a few years in the new film, for example).

explain this please? will the ship follow ENT lines? i.e. Feddy ships never had that golden deflector age? ts always been the blue disc of smurfy?

explain, and provide links and tea while yer at it [Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I guess this is a reboot?
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to TrekToday, Eaves is doing work on the film.

Dammit. Call Sternbach or Probert? Nooooo, of course not. (sigh)

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
So I guess this is a reboot?

Why? If they redesign the Enterprise that makes it a reboot?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be happy if they redisgned it, as it just looks too basic nowdays. I really like that fan version of the Enterpise that was designed by the FX bloke who works on BSG. And I wouldn't consider it a reboot.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some plot rumors, but I don't think any of them are more definitive than any others.

(That is, they're all very rumory.)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OverRon:
I'd be happy if they redisgned it, as it just looks too basic nowdays. I really like that fan version of the Enterpise that was designed by the FX bloke who works on BSG. And I wouldn't consider it a reboot.

That design is an interesting interpretation, but in my opinion it's hideous. I think the original design could still work on the big screen without having unnecessary details plonked all over the hull, but it doesn't surprise me that they're changing it anyway. I just hope Eaves doesn't make it pointy. He has a habit of making pointy ships. And the 1701 is not pointy.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.