Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Official Star Trek XI Casting Thread (formerly Shaun of Engineering) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Official Star Trek XI Casting Thread (formerly Shaun of Engineering)
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... that made me sick just now. Using canon as canon fodder isn't exactly what I had in mind.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I would bet money that the above report is not accurate in the slightest. None of that is going to be in this film. Except maybe the Kobayashi Maru.

But it is similar to the Ain't It Cool spoilers posted a while ago.

My opinion is, it's not perfect, but nothing involving time-travel ever is. The plot's quite similar to First Contact in many ways, and while that's my favourite movie, it also has gigantic plot holes.

It is an interesting way to reboot and (unfortunately) rewrite Trek history, as the original series will be the original timeline and this new series of films will be set in an alternate version. In that respect, the concerns about Spock knowing he was going to survive in TWoK aren't relevant, as those events happened in the original timeline where NimoySpock never spoke to QuintoSpock. It's giving me a head ache thinking about it, so I'm just gonna accept whatever happens I guess.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Another thing: it could undermine the Kirk-Spock relationship, which is based on an unparalleled level of mutual trust and understanding. How's that going to play out when this movie will show that right at the start of their friendship, young Spock was conducting a secret mission most likely without young Kirk knowing about it?

That's assuming Sylar-Spock knows the true identity of Nimoy-Spock. He could be taking on an alias, perhaps even the same one he took in Yesteryear. Anyway, it's all unconfirmed rumours at this point and sketchy ones at that so I wouldn't get to excited about it either way just yet. Actually, I wouldn't put it past J.J.Abrams to leak false info to keep people guessing, so there's no telling for sure this early in the game.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd leak false information like *crazy* if I were writing a Trek movie. Everything from a Star Wars crossover to Amanda Tapping starring in it to Picard marrying Wesley...plus a whole group of more plausible rumors, snatches of plots and ideas that would be good but which I didn't plan to use. Why doesn't that kind of thing happen with *every* movie that expects the danger of pre-release leaks and rumors?
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's get to the crux of the matter here, people (and also back to what this thread was originally about):

The greatest idea TPTB could have ever done to renew interest in Star Trek is to remake the Original Series in a movie format (NOT a television series) with a new cast playing the old roles, instead of pretty much any other idea involving a new cast of characters on a new ship in a new series that, as has been proven with Enterprise, was not even remotely new at all. I'd go so far as to say that there probably isn't one person on this board who thinks that the concept of this movie is a bad idea.

None of the actors they've cast as the main roles are people I've ever even heard of or seen before. To me, this is a good thing. I have no preconceived notions about how any of these actors will portray their roles. Zachary Quinto could act exactly like Leonard Nimoy circa 1960's, and I'd be happy. Chris Pine could make an entirely new spin on the character of younger Kirk, and honestly I'd be fine with it as well. The only actor I've ever heard of is Winona Ryder, and honestly, does anyone really care that she's playing Amanda? I don't. They could have hired Fran Drescher, and as long as she didn't make that annoying laugh and took her role seriously, again, that's great.

What concerns me is the story. Perhaps we should start a new thread devoted to movie rumors, but until someone does, I'll just post my thoughts here.

Granted I know it's still way early, but the things I've heard recently about the plot, I don't really care for. And as far as the "disinformation" conspiracy-theorists go, I really don't find that plausible. I mean, c'mon, do you really think Abrams, Orci et. al would honor the fans of this show by basically lying to them by making up a bunch of bullshit, and then later essentially going, "ha-ha, fooled you suckers, that's not what the movie's about!" If you like being intentionally lied to, super. I don't.

I was under the impression that the Nimoy scenes were just supposed to be a framing story for the real story of the 23rd century ST crew. Something similar to "The Green Mile," where elderly Tom Hanks-character is telling a story to someone else about events that happened to him years ago. Now it seems that there's...(SPOILERS AHEAD)
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
...time travel involved, via the Guardian of Forever being used by 25th century Romulans to go back in time & kill Kirk for whatever stupid implausible reason, and Nimoy-Spock goes after them, meets up with Quinto-Spock, and either sets the timeline right or makes a new one. Potential space battles between 25th century Romulan ships and the Enterprise-F aside, I really do not like this plot at all.

Thoughts?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
25th Century now? The plot sounds ok to me, since any Trek movie sounds crap if you boil it down to a couple of sentences, especially the time travel ones.
As for why Romulans would be going back to kill Kirk, well, did they ever need en excuse for being sneaky bastards? Aside from that, it could be some faction opposed to the new Romulan Federation peace treaty that comes in the wake of "Nemesis" and decide the best way to get the Empire back on top of things is to eliminate a key figure in Starfleet history, the very man who repelled the first Romulan incursion into Federation territory.
Of course it's all speculation, the Romulans could have been victim of a time travel accident for all we know.

As for the so-called "conspiracy theory", there's a difference between leaking misinformation to protect plot details and outright bullshiting. Whether you believe it will happen or not, the fact is it DOES happen and will continue to do so so long as sneaky buggers keep taking sly photos outside the stage and so long as certain people with access to the script, or part thereof (which can include hundreds of people as soon as shooting starts) anonymously posts it on the internet.
This is the same guy who's behind Lost, so he's well practised at keeping plot twists secret for as log as humanly possible.
Actually, case in point I think I saw an article at commingsoon.net where Michael Bay said he'll be doing precisely that, leak loads of false info and even fake scripts to protect his next movie.
I'm not saying this is the case here, just that it's possible and unless it comes from an official press release it should be treated as rumour.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I never thought my post would warrant such responses, but as said before, these are just rumors. The person who wrote City on the Edge of Forever is also miffed about these rumors as he feels that he has the rights to characters who appeared in the episode, like the Guardian of Forever.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If time traveling Romulans really wanted to screw up the Federation, they could always, say, go back to April 4th 2063, the day before first contact...

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The person who wrote City on the Edge of Forever"

Man, Harlan Ellison is probably on his way to your house right now to yell at you through the windows.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Also, look at this.)
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am one person who doesn't think the reboot or prequel movie concept is the best thing to come along.

I'll go along with it and watch the movie because I have to. But I wasn't happy with it.

And I have my doubts it's going to bring back all the fans from TOS/TNG. But we'll see.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still see no evidence that this is any more of a reboot than Enterprise was. While I still disbelieve the rumors about the plot details, one thing that does seem clear is that this film is following from pre-existing datapoints. Someone was saying on the TrekBBS that the very fact that the producers know who Christopher Pike is and CARE is indicative of that, and I agree.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, Piller loved Nimoy (and vice versa) because Nimoy got that Trek at its best was a show about great ideas, explored and dramatized on film.

Nimoy has been quoted as saying something to the effect that he's only involved in this because Abrams has captured the essence of Trek, or words to that effect.

While a Green Mile / Saving Private Ryan-esque flashback thingy would be poignant, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and trust that Nimoy still gets it, and isn't yanking our chain about whether the script is good just because he's trying to finance more pics of Rubenesque women.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hope the Romulans are used well this time as a good adversary. Nemesis was partly billed as being about Romulans, but it wasn't really. I've been itching for a good Romulan movie for a *long* time.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too. Of all the "major" alien races, the Romulans have been short-changed the most.

I didn't like the prequel idea for Enterprise, either. Yes, the final season did work out well (when compared with the other three) but I wasn't sold on that idea going into it either.

Reboot is the wrong word. Still, there's so much potential to contradict established cannon when doing a prequel, especially when we've seen the results of all the previous Treks.

Of course, they can screw up cannon without doing prequels.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps