Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Can the Timeline for the Movies be wrong! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Can the Timeline for the Movies be wrong!
Quest
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this may change after the next Trek film which essentially tells of the early years of Kirk and Spock.
IP: Logged
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

Why do I say that? Because, this is pre-Okuda after all - remember, ST2: TWOK was a last-gasp attempt at making a successful and popular Star Trek film, they had no idea of all this that would come from it, if it had flopped that'd have likely been it, no more Trek. Until a comedy version was made a la Starsky & Hutch, with Owen Wilson as Kirk, Ben Stiller as Spock, Will Ferrell as McCoy, Ricky Gervais as Scotty. . . I oculd go on but I'd lose the will to live!

Which is basically the movie in production now, yes? With a less well know cast?

[Wink]

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In TOS, did anyone else besides those on the Enterprise say anything about stardates? I had a funny idea that in TOS, the stardates may just be a shipboard timekeeping system related to the current mission, and that changed somewhere between TOS & TNG (possibly even before the movies). Of course, if anyone else *did* use stardates, that theory goes out the airlock.
Well, (4000-range) stardates were also used by Matt Decker for his Constellation logs. But one could easily argue that those dates were out of synch with the Enterprise stardates - and consequently that "Doomsday Machine" took place at another timeslot entirely, and not in production or airdate order.

Timo Saloniemi

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it really was a system employed ship-by-ship, and not co-ordinated through a central Federation standard.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then it loses all value as a record keeping system. What sense is it to have station logs and ship logs with stardates if the stardates are all relative to the location of the ship or station?

Especially considering other people use these dates as references in researching this or that.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*deleted* Posted in the wrong place.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was based on the heyday of the Royal Navy. The Admiralty kept track of when ships left, and the ships' logs were written in a "day 204" format. Gene didn't think things out all the way back then. His first notion was that stardates were much the same thing, set up with the first two numbers being months into the mission and the second two being days. That went out the window pretty quickly, but he didn't replace it with anything near as well-thought-out.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Or it really was a system employed ship-by-ship, and not co-ordinated through a central Federation standard.
Not "or" - "and". The 4000-range dates dictated by Decker appear in between episodes where 3000-range dates are dictated by Kirk; the two ships might thus live by different stardate systems. But there is no pressing reason to assume that they do, or that the airdate/production order is the real order of the events.

There is lots of dramatic merit to the "day 204" interpretation, I guess. But even the earliest episodes of TOS use stardates in contexts that do not involve the Enterprise or her mission. Kirk's tombstone already starts the trend, and the (admittedly nonsensical) personnel records of Mitchell and Dehner concur. History for Kodos the Executioner and Anton Karidian is given in stardate format, too. "Stardate" is something that can be understood outside any specific context.

Timo Saloniemi

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zipacna:
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
That places TOS approximately from 2268 to 2273

The thing is, we know from Voyager that Kirk's mission ended in 2270 (as per Icheb's pointless presentation)...so for TWoK to be set in 2285 and to be 15-years after "Space Seed", "Space Seed" needs to be set in 2270 and presumably be one of the final events in Kirk's mission. Unless TOS seasons don't flow chronologically or Kirk took NCC-1701 out for another mission in 2270, it's impossible given that "Space Seed" was a first season episode.
It's either got to be that TWoK isn't set in 2285, or the 15-year line is inaccurate.

What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah...

Even more interesting thoughts from "Space Seed" and TWoK regarding the timeline.

Khan was from the late 20th century (1997). Kirk told Khan he was in suspended animation for "nearly 2 centuries." Nearly would imply not quite 200 years, but we'll go with that. This statement would put TOS in the 22nd century (2197).

TWoK opens with text stating explicityly "The 23rd Century." This is the first instance a specific time frame is mentioned for Star Trek. The earliest TWoK could be is 2201. Of course we know that other events and missions took place between "Space Seed" and TWoK, pushing the date even deeper into the 2200s.

For TOS to take place in the 2260s and TWoK in 2283 Khan would have had to been in suspended animation for nearly 300 years. (2283-15 = 2268. 2268-1997 = 271 years asleep).

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small point, but it was 1996.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
For TOS to take place in the 2260s and TWoK in 2283 Khan would have had to been in suspended animation for nearly 300 years. (2283-15 = 2268. 2268-1997 = 271 years asleep). [/QB]

Assuming Khan was giving a date in the Gregorian Calendar, which only really makes sense if the Great Khanate was a "western" power. Makes more sense for it to either be an Indian Civil Calendar date (1996 in the Indian Civil would be roughly 2070 in Gregorian), or one from a calendar Khan invented.
Fair enough, most likely the writers intended it to be AD1996...but it doesn't really make much sense for a crazed dictator controlling areas of Asia and the Middle East to use a Christian calendar.

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignore...double post.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I've always liked that, a it meshes well with the "two hundred years" comments and the whole 21st century post-atomic horror. However, how to reconcile Spock's statements regarding when the Eugenics Wars took place?

--Jonah

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps