Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Why Doesn't Starfleet Utilize Protection? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Why Doesn't Starfleet Utilize Protection?
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever we see security or military forces in Trek, with the exceprion of those wierd-ass looking sec force guys in the TOS movies, they wear no protective armour of any type. Even the MACOs in ENT, or Starfleet Ground troops in DS9, both dedicated military forces, dont wear any armour. Wouldn't there be some form of "bullet resistant vest" for them to wear. There are appearently alloys that are weapons resistant in trek, so why not combine them with certain fibers ( which I'm sure can be done by the 22nd,or 23rd century) to make a vest to at least give those guys some form of protection against stun settings?
( I doubt that you would get any protection against a kill setting, just as a bullet resistant vest can not protect you from getting shot in the head.)

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
There's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really see armor being that effective. it it gets hit, it boils away &...well.

--------------------
"I never agreed with Jefferson once—we have fought on like seventy-five different fronts. But when all is said & all is done...Jefferson HAS beliefs; Burr has none."

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. i know it's non cannon, but it seems sound.

From Rigil Kent's "Endeavour": Vigrid

[Hed been shot, that much was clear, and the reflec-mesh he wore under the modified tac-vest had saved his life once more.

Called a 'twinkle suit' by some more vocal detractors for its distinctive appearance, the mesh was made up of thousands of tiny lenses atop a flexible underlay and immediately brought to mind an obnoxiously sequined shirt. The lenses were meant to absorb and disperse the lethal power of most particle beams, while the underlay was designed to reflect the killing heat of such an attack. Against blunt trauma such as a physical blow or slugthrower, however, the twinkle suit was worse than useless as the shattered lens fragments often became embedded in flesh wounds. MACO black ops had been experimenting with the twinkle suits for several years, but the prohibitively high price tag and the difficulty in maintaining them meant mass production was unlikely.]

It makes sense to me, but I'm probably missing a big and obvious piece of the puzzle

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be a lecture at Starfleet Academy about the importance of wearing condoms when visiting alien planets.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

It's a new course, tought by captain Will Riker, with footnotes from the late Captain James T. Kirk.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's because TOS had to wait like a couple decades before someone made the (insert what movie since Star Tripping Troopers) props that got whored around the world...

of course, by the late 2000-2010's, all the sci-fi shows used H.E.Heinlin Prop helms and P-90's...

We are talking about Armor, right?

Hah, if 'Flesh Gordon' was made today, they'd use the prop armor from Starship Troopers, too... maybe, crotch CGI...

speaking of which, goes modern pr0n use CGI?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I would not know, as I find that perticular venue rather disturbing.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, I read the subject and thought this had something to do with Kirk and Riker and a thousand various alien babes...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I originally titled it Why Are Starfleet Security Forces Complete Retards? but I thought that would offend some people.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I think you were onto something with your original title. [Smile]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
That's because TOS had to wait like a couple decades before someone made the (insert what movie since Star Tripping Troopers) props that got whored around the world...

of course, by the late 2000-2010's, all the sci-fi shows used H.E.Heinlin Prop helms and P-90's...

Not having seen Starship Troopers, I can't say for sure, but how about the "purple-belly" armor made for Firefly? Surely something that specific must have been new...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

All complaining about props aside, it just boggles my mind that starfleet would send their troops in harms way without some form of protection from enemy fire. If the U.S were to send troops into battle without body armour, the Gov't would not hear the end of in. I'm pretty sure someone in the federation cares about the welfare of it's servicemen.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zing!
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One words says it all.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind that a phaser set at maximum can reduce several feet of solid rock to glowing embers, I doubt there's much you can do against that, short of a portable shield generator. As for protection against stun setting; exactly how many engagements have we seen where ANYONE other than Starfleet has gone into combat with phasers on stun?

However, there have been examples of "armour" in use. The Starfleet security guards in the movies are seen wearing large chest pieces and sometimes helmets too. In ST:V the "Federation Soldiers" were equipped with what looked like riot shields and the Starfleet Tactical Soldiers seen on DS9 have what look like a heavy duty uniform, so it could be made of some exotic, layered material that offers more protection than it might appear.
The holy grail of armour, after all is something that as strong as a metal plate but light and flexible as cotton. Given that it is science fiction, just because the actor's costumes are made of polyester and cotton, doesn't mean the character's uniforms are.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.