Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek: The Music at the TSO

Author Topic: Star Trek: The Music at the TSO
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I forgot to bring my Camera. Or I didn't think much of it. The Toronto Symphony Orchestra has a policy against taking any photos of their symphonies at any time. So it didn't occur to me that I should have brought it with me. But I should have. John De Lancie and Robert Picardo were there as hosts of "Star Trek: The Music" at the TSO. Silly Me. And my Camera phone has horrible resolution.

And yes, lots of other people brought cameras too. I should have figured.

But it was indeed a blast. It's one thing to listen to Star Trek music, it's completely another thing to see it played live at a symphony concert.

Here was the playlist:
- Suite from "The Cage". This is the suite that Alexander Courage created for the original pilot of TOS. Obviously the pilot was rejected, but the music was retained and therefore reworked into what we know as the TOS tune.
- TOS Tune: see above.
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture, main title music. De Lancie and Picardo would go on to explain how this tune would later be reworked to be the TNG theme.
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Klingon Battle: This takes place in the introductory scene where the Klingon Battlecruisers encounter VGer.
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, main title music.
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, epilogue and end credits.
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, main title. Given its relationship to the second movie, it is quite similar in its familiar tune. At this time, my girlfriend was getting a little sleepy after hearing the same tune over and over again.
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, main title. De Lancie and Picardo would later explain how Gene Roddenberry didn't like this tune as it was too cheerful and not consistent with an explorer's theme set about by the previous three films.
- Star Trek:TNG main title sequence, again with an explanation from where this was derived. Of note is the use of bells to accentuate the music.
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, "A Busy Man". I have no clue which scene this music is used in the movie.
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, end credits. (my favourite)
- Star Trek:DS9, main title sequence.
- Star Trek: Generations, end credits. (another favourite)
- Star Trek:Voyager, main title sequence.

While the playlist was well done, there are also some other tunes I wish they would have played. Of note is the STII chase scene in which the Enterprise lures Khan and the Reliant into the Mutara Nebula. Another is the STVI main theme sequence, its dark, forboding theme setting the stage for the explosion on Praxis. Then there is the music for the Battle of Khitomer at the end of STVI, as well as the epilogue. Finally, the main theme for Star Trek: First Contact.

But yes, it was still enjoyable to see Picardo and De Lancie crack jokes throughout the symphony. And the conductor had the entire orchestra make "tribble noises" to which Picardo described as "tribbles weeping the day Star Trek (TOS) was cancelled.

Next time I go to something like this, I make a note of bringing a damn camera and damn the consequences.

[ June 20, 2008, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Saltah'na ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds incredible. And while stills would be great, video, and to a greater extent, audio, would be most excellent.

Someone must have. Symphonic bootlegs. Hooray for geekdom.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this just a one time thing, or does the TSO do things like this often?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liar. You have no girlfriend. Unless by "my girlfriend was getting sleepy", you mean you'd been sitting on your hand all night, then...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well NOW I do. Guess who got the tickets, hmmm? [Razz]

Sean: I have no clue if this is something that the TSO would do. They previously did Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, so if they do, it may be in several years time.

bX: The TSO has a strict policy against cameras in the auditorium so no one was "recording" anything but there were a lot of flashbulbs going off at the end of the show.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps