Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New Trek Enterprise May Have Nacelles That... ($SPOILER$: ST:XI) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New Trek Enterprise May Have Nacelles That... ($SPOILER$: ST:XI)
esecallum
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who works for ILM and he says he has seen designs for the new Enterprise which he says will be similar to the TOS version but will be a bit more clunky but it will have an important difference in that the nacelles which are on the supporting struts will:-

SPOILER ALERT !

be rotatable at the point where thay are attached to the supporting strut.

be rotatable at the point where thay are attached to the supporting strut at the top end.

This means we will have vectoring impulse/warp nacelles.
I have done a study of this using a cone as a secondary hull and 4 pens acting as strut and nacelle and the advantage seems to be in higher maneuverability as by turning the nozzles at intermediate angles you can make them point partially down/up and also you can make one nacelle point forwards and be able to do very sharp turns and also very quick braking by pointing both forwards.

You can do simulation yourself or someone can do a photoshop so you can get a better idea.
The advantages seem to give a huge increase in maneuverability as the nacelles when they rotate on the struts move in 2 planes at the same time horizontal and vertical as the struts are in a v shaped angle.

You may remember Voyager having movable nacelles,but as this is a less advanced ship the nacelles can move a lot more than just up/down.

I did all you a favour by sharing information.

My friend says ILM are happy for him to unoffically share the info to wet people's appetites and to create a buzz but he is forbidden from giving actual shots,in others words he can discuss it in general terms and he got permission before blabbing about it.

Voyagers was more advanced and did not need rotating nacelles.This early Enterprise is less advanced and needs vectoring nacelles for higher maneuvering ability.It do's not have fancy fields but is more of a mechanical beast.
In this ship the impulse engines are integrated into the nacelles and you will see a red glow.

Did anyone try the simulation using the 4 pens and a cone for the secondary hull?

If you did then you will find it highly logical in much the same way that you have vectoring nozzles on the JSF,
higher maneuverability or that Russian plane I cant remember the name of.The Harrier is another example which can use vectored thrust for higher maneuverability in combat by braking suddenly when having the enemy on the tail,letting it overshoot then firing missiles at the enemies tail,etc,etc.

[ June 24, 2008, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Saltah'na ]

IP: Logged
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no fucking spoiler text field you obtuse little man.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, is it this time of year again?

That would look absolutely ridiculous. I am 98.99% sure that this info is a load of beaver biscuits, but either way it makes no sense at all, because the warp nacelles and impulse engines are two different things. Slightly movable impulse engines might make more sense, but still wouldn't do much.

If I remember correctly, ships are given thrust by the impulse drive, but the ship is steered by the maneuvering thrusters. Right?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
esecallum, be sure to add $SPOILER$ whenever you put in something that has spoilers. I've edited the title to include it.

Daniel, shush it.

And yes, this does sound ridiculous. Another one in the "what the hell are they thinking" bin. In fact, the entire movie is a "what the hell are they thinking" moment.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if this isn't a vicious pack of lies, TPTB of the movie can't be that stupid. What, are they going to have the nacelles rotate 180 degrees for reverse speed? And, if this Enterprise looks anything like a constitution class, isn't it physically impossable? The nacells don't have much room to slide backwards and forward to allow the engines to rotate without tearing into the saucer. Even then, they'd have to do it one nacelle at a time, to stop them from hitting eachother. The only way any significant movement could be accomplished is through ball joints between the nacells and the pylons.

Then again, this does sound stupid enough that they just might try it... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saying that you have a "friend who works at ILM" is meaningless to us. I could say that I have a friend at ILM who told me that the new Enterprise transforms into a giant robot, and I'd have just as much credibility as you. That is to say, none at all.

BTW, didn't we have some issues with the OP in the not-too-distant past for giving out false info?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by esecallum:

Did anyone try the simulation using the 4 pens and a cone for the secondary hull?

You mean between the time we started reading your post and the time we finished it? No... I didn't get to it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if you use highlighters instead of pens, you have yourself a Cheyenne-class. [Razz]
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father's mother's best friend's cousin's uncle's next door neighbor has already seen the movie and the Enterprise has three engines and will really be called the "Liberator" and James T. Kirk will go by his nickname "Blake".

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't this guy banned or something?

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Apparently not...
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh... He makes me appreciate grammar and the SHIFT key much more than I ever thought possible.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Oh, last time was just great, with the Nebulae and their discs...

The only way I can really see vectoring thrust impulse nozels comming into trek is on a small, fast attack ship. It's sheilds may not be the best, and it's weapons not top notch, but it's maneuverability and speed can keep it alive longer in battle. After all, sheilds can't be drained by weapons that don't hit it. [Smile]

--------------------

-George Carlin

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I already thought that I couldn't care less about this movie. Guess I was wrong.

And this even takes into account the fact that nothing posted to the Internet is ever true, and therefore this little tidbit has no credibility whatsoever. I just find it incredibly ridiculous and lame that we're stuck with such nonsensical rumors.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps