Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Ships of the Line Calendar 2009 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ships of the Line Calendar 2009
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, even if it is a bit fanciful with them watching. And why would it be silly to use a model? If you're testing out potentially dangerous changes, you wouldn't want to do that to a full-size ship.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The picture of Kirk and Spock could also be an Easter egg.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clawhammer also posted some clay renders of his ship from other angles over at TrekBBS:
http://www.ewe-squad.com/clay.jpg
http://www.ewe-squad.com/rearclay.jpg
http://www.ewe-squad.com/frontclay.jpg
http://www.ewe-squad.com/bottomclay.jpg

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That fucker has got GUNS. are ALL those little ports supposed to be Pulse Lazers and/or Torpedo tubes? certain the large pair underneigth are tubes but what about on the under-front of the nacelles?

i even like this design more now, TU...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I count at least 4 torpedo tubes. Are those things on the sides phaser strips or just decoration?

And I like those tiny domes on the top of the ship, escape pods maybe?

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Did I not post this before? Oh well, here it is, straight from Clawhammer's post on TrekBBS:
quote:
It's the U.S.S. Spirit (NX-79995) A quantum slipstream testbed. I indeed designed it for the calendar only.

Here are some minor specs:

Designed and constructed after the logs and data of Voyager where studied. (2390's)

"Spirit" class explorer/scout
Quantum Slipstream testbed
Length: around 120 meters.
Crew: min: 12 max: 30
Decks: 4 full decks.

Some new and experimental features that are visible on the ship:

* Armor with enhanced energy distribution and asymetrical shieldgrid.
* Rapid fire Pulse Phaser. Pulse phasers with 3 fire modes and 8 output points. (higher rate of fire but reduced firepower.)
* Quantum Slipstream controller. This device will push/pull the Slipstream tunnel towards or away from the ship for a more effecient and less bumpy ride. At the moment 6 of them are in series to do the brute force work.
* Subspace failsafe system. Makes sure the ship stays in the lower domains of subspace and will drop out of slipstream if safety is compremised.
* Integrated bridge with window & viewscreen.
* Core shield layer that absorbs most baryon particles. (Reduces warp signature also.)
* Small Shuttlebay with a drop down door that functions as a landing platform. (Andrew Probert sketched this out for me, I had to modify it a bit to stay within the deadline, but it worked very well!) I hope to show renders of it later this year.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, on a big format like the calendar it still should have enough detail left to stay interesting. I also love the painting that Andrew made for the calendar!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would a testbed for a new drive system need that kind of firepower?
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was on TrekBBS, not a good idea to go there unarmed.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A spaceship with gun ports and spoilers does nothing for me.
Lose the nacelles and it looks nothing like a Trek design...maybe SAAB or B5.

(shrugs)

Whatever floats your boat, I guess- at least it's not an Akira variant.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just don't like how everybody (including the writers of Nemesis) just wants to install more and more weapons on new Trek ships...they don't worry about crew accommodations, diplomatic capability, sensors, etc. - it's all basically "WARP DRIVE SYSTEM TYPE XXVI" and "25 PULSE-FIRE QUANTUM TORPEDO TUBES" and "700 QUANTUM TORPEDOES" and "15 PULSE-FIRE PHASERS" and so on.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the mission profile seems to be KILL! KILL!
Works for a Terran Empire ship (sorta, those gun ports are still silly) but not for the exploration-driven Starfleet we all know and love.

Besides, the uber-Runabout concept worked up as a possible Defiant idea works far better as a small gunship, IMHO.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The November vessel (the horseshoe-shaped thing) looks very very similar to a picture I saw waaaaay the hell back in the day, circa the early 90's.

The other one was of similar shape, with ramscoops at the tips (rendered most beautifully for the time), deflectors just below, and a bit of blue behind. The pilot sat in what basically looked like a plexiglas bulge out the front.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? I remember it as an awesome pic . . . again, especially at the time. It would probably be some 400x300 piece of poo now, but still.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ghetto Edit: I think the other ship was called the SS Palomino. Ring any bells?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Palamino was that lame-ass Black Hole ship.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

True, which made my failed Google-fu that much harder. But I'm 95% sure I have the name correct, including the unusual SS designation. (Amazing what ridiculous things lodge in the neurons, isn't it?)

Perhaps it'll come up on one of these floppies I've been working my way through.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps