Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Ships of the Line Calendar 2009 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ships of the Line Calendar 2009
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Floppies? Oh man.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought an Asus motherboard, brand new model, so new I can't even get the drivers to work in Linux or Windows for the onboard LAN...anyway...brand new thing, and it not only has a floppy controller, it supports 5.25" floppy drives. I was flabbergasted. (Rarely do I get to use the word flabbergasted. To flabbergast? He, she flabbergasts...?)
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://thedesignstudio2000.com/img/RBD-090765.bmp

I still have something similar to the pic above plus a few other smaller containers full of 3.5in. floppies. And, I have a handful of 5.25s, which includes the original box and game disks for the Star Trek: The 25th Anniversary game (which, in case you were concerned, was indeed 100% IBM/Tandy Compatible!).

I've also got something just like this floating around, too.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have that old game on my old Atari ST! Never could get very far and it crashed like a ZX-81.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The computer I am using now while I build a new one has no floppy drive at all. My laptop doesn't have one, either. My deceased desktop has one, but I've rarely if ever used it so I probably won't put one in the new desktop I build. Even though I have several 3.5" drives floating around. And a 5.25" drive as well.

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My current computer, roughly 3 1/2 years old, has a 3.5" drive. The one before that obviously had both a 3.5" and a 5.25" drive. I've still got several 3.5" disks laying around. I haven't had much use for them with my current computer. Still, at least I can still use them when I need to. My next computer, whenever I will purchase it, will probably also have a 3.5" drive.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The one before that obviously had both a 3.5" and a 5.25" drive.
What do you mean, "obviously"? I haven't even seen a 5.25" drive in 5 years, and that was on an Apple ][ built in the 80's.

I actually have the full, boxed set of Microsoft Windows 3.1 and DOS some-version on 5.25" diskettes, including manuals, somewhere in my parents' basement. Probably all corrupted by now, but interesting collector's item. I bought it by mistake from eBay thinking they were 3.5" disks.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saw a box of 5.25 disks a couple of years ago- some lawyer wanted them transferred to DVD.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Wow, that's quite the leap in technology... should just got them all put on a jumpdrive.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess so...looked like some class action thing they inherited or old cases from storage.
Happens when law firms merge.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
Still, at least I can still use them when I need to. My next computer, whenever I will purchase it, will probably also have a 3.5" drive.

Um, why? You can get a usb floppy drive and toss it in your closet and pull it out if you wanted to use it.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My current PC doesn't have a floppy drive. It does however have one of those multi-card readers. Which doesn't recognise the second-ger 4Gb SD card I got to put in my mobile. Arse.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

So go buy a USB card reader and floppy drive [Razz]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't be bothered, and USB-to-phone cable does the trick. The MicroSD card only fits in using one of those adapters anyway and I keep losing the bloody thing.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those external USB floppies run for like 20 bucks.

Anyway, I'm generally not a fan of ships that stray too far from the typical Trek design lineage. The Spirit looks pretty neat, but I don't like it in the context of ST.

Looks more like a Stargate ship to me.

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.