Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » First look at ST Online

Author Topic: First look at ST Online
Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HD Trailer : http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38183.html

Lower Res : http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38184.html?type=

So we get a neat little trailer from the new developer of the game. Some things of note include a handful of new starships, some redesigns of older ones (Sovereign class rollbar?) and Borg ass kicking.

The on foot stuff didn't look that appealing to me, and I found of the aesthetic redesign choices to be a bit strange. Most of the ships are an abundant amount of armor platting. No doubt the game will feature a heavy emphasis on combat, but as a franchise and a game that in the trailer dialogue raises the mission of exploration as an overall goal, I hope it doesn't just turn into a shoot 'em up.

Star Trek has always been about discovery and exploration, but the World of Warcraft era of online games shifts the industry focus to killing and looting. I'm really hopping Star Trek tries to break the mold and set itself apart from the rest of the WoW clones.

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The gameplay trailer in and of itself is decent, even if it does over-rely on the Borg. The rollbar on the Sovereign has me scratching my head, but that new class that shows up in the foreground during one of the Borg battles is nice. I can only hope half the new ship classes are that nice.

However, for those of you that are worried about the game being all battles, you need to watch the webcast video here. Jack Emmert reveals a lot about the game, and what he said mostly pleased me.
  • He confirmed that the two initial factions are the Federation and the Klingons. He mentioned the Romulans and Dominion factions as being added later on.
  • Yes, everybody is a captain, although it may be more accurate to say that everybody is a ship's commanding officer, since you will not start at the rank of Captain. Think Harry Kim on Voyager's night shift.
  • The game will start in the year 2409. Between now and the game's launch, the game's website will fill in what's been happening since Nemesis.
  • Exploration will be a huge part of the game.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You Require More Lesbian Ass.

You Require More Mineral Water.

(I'll look at this tommorrow after i get off shift)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like how they're refitting the Galaxy and Sovereign.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... dunno. the visuals remind me of the SFC series (the new designs don't inspire me either... well, may the akira-variant (the pretzle looking vessel)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear...Well there was never any danger of me playing this one anyway, massive multiplayer online gaming doesn't appeal to me. Give me TF2 any day. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anal image analysis time!

-

First off we have four uniform variations. The traditional primary colours and apparently, black. It seems the federation has also opted to keep two uniform styles at once like in Star Trek Generations when you had the TNG and DS9 tunics coinciding. Also noteworthy, are the FC compression rifle and comb badge still in service. Being set 25 years after Nemesis, this means the rifle and badge were around for roughly 35 years, despite the rifle being phased out (presumably) in Nemesis.

-

Next we have a shot of one of the new classes of ships. It has a registry of 95032. Taking Voyager as reference point, 74656, that means there were 20,376 ships commissioned in 30 or so years. Looks to be a fairly small ship judging by the escape pod hatches. Also, that array thing on the bottom left corner is an extension on the mid section of the ST3 style starbase. No idea what it's supposed to do.

-

Here we have the old Sovy with the odd rollbar. I originally assumed it was a torpedo launcher, but from the front you can see it's all windows, and in another shot it appears the back is just an extra thruster. Also, she also seems to be emitting some blue tail pipe emissions in all the shots she's in from her nacels. Lastly, she has some what might be extremely thick armor spots on the saucer and where the "neck" would be.

-

This one I can't quite place. At a glance I thought it was an Ambassador class, but upon closer inspection it's smoother. It looks like it might actually be the Galaxy class concept sketch that ended up being the Ambassador, which wouldn't surprise me since Probert worked on the game.

-

Lastly we have a battle shot with Pensive's Pretzel class, some shitty Akira/Galaxy kitbash and some Tactical Spheres and Cubes. From a design standpoint the Pretzel looks cool, but for practicality sake I don't know why you'd eliminate that much internal volume unless you were hopping to let torpedoes fly through you.

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of these designs make me think "man, they look cool but it would suck to have to rush from here to there. You'd have to go all the way around the ship instead of just straight across."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps